Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,243 times

Advertisements

What's up, I'm from San Antonio. Lived there my whole 16 years of living! Just wondering, anyone else from the southside ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 08:00 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
Born and raised on the southeast side but now live on the far north central side. My parents and a lot of my family still reside on the southeast side so I'm there two a week if not more. And the growth is amazing.

BTW, welcome to the forum and I look forward to your future contributions!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM

5 posts, read 14,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Born and raised on the southeast side but now live on the far north central side. My parents and a lot of my family still reside on the southeast side so I'm there two a week if not more. And the growth is amazing.

BTW, welcome to the forum and I look forward to your future contributions!
North side is real nice . I remember going to north star park mall, then going back to our south park mall... it was sad lol. My sis. moved up to the northside, pretty nice house.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Okay, I went to the Northside Mall this past weekend. Now you're telling me there's a Southside Mall too??? I'm a shop-a-holic, so you guys tell me where all the malls are, okay? I know where Northstar is and The Quarry and La Canterra. Is there anything out there that's super-amazing I need to know about????

Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 PM

Malls in SA include Northstar Mall, Ingram Park Mall, Crossroads Mall, Rolling Oaks Mall, and Southpark Mall.

Other malls that are now closed but reopening as something else:

McCreless Mall. It has been torn down and will become a shopping center with the anchor tenant being an HEB Plus!

Central Park Mall. It was closed torn down and will now be a 700,000 sq.ft. new shopping center called Park North Plaza.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
There is also The Forum at 30 and 1604 going towards Austin and then over here Heubner Oaks ( you see the big AMC sign from 10 as you travel.

How are you getting along on T. Toes?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:33 PM

Those are "Lifestyle centers" not malls.

San Antonio has a lot of lifestyle centers with many planned.

The Rim when first planned (and called North Rim Village) was to have a 1.2 million sq. ft. "lifestyle center" and a 800,000 sq.ft. mall. Then the development was sold to another developer and changed to a 2 million sq. ft. lifestyle center with a 15 story hotel in the center.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I think I've jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire!!! I'm getting more familiar with my surroundings, but I guess deep down I'm just your basic SoCal gal! I still have to make time to get to the DMV and get a Texas license and Texas plates for my hoop-D (that means "car" in CA ). I dance three days a week and work out Monday through Friday with three of those days with a personal trainer and one day a week I meet with the dietician, so I stay busy.

Right now I have guys in my house doing my flooring. When I moved here I just had them throw in the standard carpet - everywhere. So yesterday the flooring guys came and ripped out the carpet from the areas they are going to be putting in travertine. They left the rest of the carpet so it wouldn't be completely like I was living in the garage. They said the travertine should take about a week and a half to put in and then different guys will be here to put in the hardwood flooring. After those guys leave then I get a new set of guys to put carpeting in the bedrooms, livingroom, dining room and media room. It's a process!!!

It's hard for me to get used to your freeway and road system here. Eventually I will, but be patient with me!!!

Tonight my son and I are going trick or treating. Okay, I'm not - he is! I think we are going to bail out of the Dominion and find a neighborhood that has sidewalks and street lights and houses that are closer together, otherwise we're going to end up walking for like a half mile just to get from one house to the next! Granted, I could use the exercise, but I already did my cardio this morning!!!

I have some questions about a few things, but some of those things I just need to get into my dance forums and ask about. Like, I wonder if I'm being overcharged. Stuff like that. I can't say too much here. Don't want certain people to read this thread. Okay, I pay more to dance here in Texas than I did in California, and in CA I trained with Buddy Schwimmer (Benji Schwmmer's dad - Benji won the So You Think You Can Dance competition on Fox TV). Buddy Schwimmer is an internationally known figure in the dance world. Okay, I won't say anymore about that. I just hope the person(s) I don't want to read this don't go on this forum!

Well, I guess that's about all that's on my mind for now.

Neddy, we should have coffee some time! Or lunch or something. If you want to, I'll PM you my info.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default San Antonio Fwy/Hwy System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
...It's hard for me to get used to your freeway and road system here. Eventually I will, but be patient with me!!!...
Freeways/Highways in SA: All even numbers (I10 and Hwy 90) generally go East-West and odd numbers (I35, I37, SH151) go North-South. I10 West goes toward California and East toward Florida. I35 North goes toward Dallas/Forth Worth and on to Canada and South toward Laredo. I37 South goes to Corpus Christi and North (turns into Hwy 281) up toward Fort Worth. Hwy 90 West goes toward Del Rio and joins I10 East toward Houston (Hwy 90 was the original East-West highway before I10. SH151 is a short 10-mile highway that goes from Kelly USA area off of 90 northwest to Loop 1604 and Culebra area.

There are also two major loops around San Antonio. The first one is the inner one, Loop 410 that is 53 miles around. The outer Loop 1604 is 100 miles around. So, if you're inside one of these loops it is hard to get totally lost as you just drive in one direction or the other and you will hit one of the loops.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:18 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,551 times
I'll bet what's really throwing Twinkle Toes off are the Frontage Roads, the stop signs that have no white lines painted on the pavement, and the horzontal street lights. We moved from San Diego in September and I've almost run a few stop signs and a handful of red lights. Oh and the fact that the I10 technically runs east to west but if you look on a map it looks more like south and then north (V like in shape). Plus being raised practically on the beach I have reference issues. We always aquainted ocean on the left means you're going north, on the right and you're going south. Take away the ocean, put in 2 loops and it's very disorienting!
Oh and BTW, dance lessons are more expensive here than in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio