Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times

Advertisements

One of the drawbacks to the hard water in San Antonio is the toll that the lime takes on a water heater. When we bought our home, flushing the lime out of the water heaters (we have two) was a task our builder recommended we do annually. Like some other chores that fall into the category of useful but unpleasant, we managed to <ahem> overlook that task.

A couple of months ago, we had our day of reckoning when one of our 5 year-old water heaters sprung a leak in the tank due to the lime accumulation. The replacement water heater set us back $900, and we were told by the plumber that replacing the other one would cost even more, since it is upstairs. That was all of the convincing we needed to flush the tank of the other water heater.

It turned out that flushing the water heater tank ourselves was every bit as unpleasant as we had envisioned, so we'd prefer to have a plumber do that for us next time. The plumber who installed the replacement water heater indicated his company charges $99 per heater for that service, which seemed high. Since we'll be wanting to have that done annually, I'm curious to know if $99 is truly the going rate to have a water heater flushed?

Also, for you hardy souls who flush your own water heater, any recommendations to make the job easier? The garden hose I used was leaky at the fitting, so I'd need to invest in a better hose before I tackle the flush job again myself.

Last edited by Bo; 09-21-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:44 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,883,712 times
I drain my own water heaters. I have 2 and several rental properties. I drain them too when they are vacant. I use a garden hose and turn off the water supply to the house, this let's the pressure off the heater and allows it to drain better. I also open the blow off valve to allow the pressure to release and the heater drains faster.
One trick I found is to make sure the drain valve is metal and not the plastic ones the water heaters usually come with. When you drain out the heater, replace the valve with a metal turn off. You can get them at Lowe's. It makes the draining job easier and assurs a turn off with no dripping. The plastic valves are not meant to be used at all.
Also, when you discuss water heater with a plumber or anyone else, do not use the term "hot water heater". It's a water heater to make hot water. It's a dead giveaway that your an ametuer to a professional. I used to say "hot water heater" and was told by a plumber to change what I called it. I never snapped on the term until it was pointed out to me. It makes the water hot, why would you heat "hot" water?
Strange but true.
Good luck with doing the draining yourself. It gets easier with each draining.
I also replace water heaters myself when they eventually fail. Lowe's sells an installation kit and they are not heavy when new and empty. It's not that difficult, with some help, to get the heater in place. The problem is getting the old heavy lime filled heater out. The replacement is the same size and all the connections should just be compression fittings that screw in. If they are soldered in, get em changed when the heater needs replacment.
It's scary if you never did it before, but it's easy when you look and see that the new heater will fit right where the old one was...as long as you replace with the same capacity. (40 gal for a 40 gal.)
Enjoy. It's fun to do it yourself and take the money the plumber doesn't get and go out for dinner and a movie.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:43 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Default price of a water heater?

Where are you shopping that a new water heater costs $900??

The big box stores have high quality water heaters (15 year warranties) for well under $500.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Where are you shopping that a new water heater costs $900??

The big box stores have high quality water heaters (15 year warranties) for well under $500.
That was an installed price. I'd have to dig out the receipt to find out how much of it was labor.

Also, I suspect the terms of any water heater warranty would require it to undergo an annual flushing, and I fully admit that we didn't do that.

Plumbing is one of those maintenance categories that I used to consider to be out of my league. Since that water heater job, I've actually replaced parts to fix a leaky toilet myself. If the other heater goes bad, I might consider the DIY route.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:03 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,908 times
When you buy the hot water heater is the plug already wired?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 AM

188 posts, read 616,061 times
So if I have a water softener, do I still need to flush the water heater annually? Our builder told us to do that too, but if it is mostly because of the lime buildup, and the water softener takes care of most of that - can I drain it every 2 - 3 years instead? Or never? At least ours in in the garage so that makes it somewhat easier I guess... I can't imagine how you'd drain it if it is in the attic, that would make it much more difficult!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,753 times
Geez I better get on mine!

Does having a drain pan help with the leaking-while-draining problem?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 AM

422 posts, read 1,450,530 times
Replacing the plastic valve with a metal valve, what all is involved? Is it as easy as it sounds, just unscrew, use some plumbers tape, and screw the metal one on?

Do you really need to turn off the water coming into the house? Or can you just turn off the water heater and let the water run?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,488 times
Can anyone recomend a plummer on this one? Been in my house 4 years and still haven't done this.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Can anyone recomend a plummer on this one? Been in my house 4 years and still haven't done this.
Any plumber can do the flushing. It takes about an hour of labor, which won't be cheap, no matter who you use.

AAA Auger does the plumbing work at my house that I don't do myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio