Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times

Advertisements

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA010108.01B.safd_accident.2e69845.html (broken link)

This is terrible news and my condolences to the family. This is also one of those situations in which we should wait for the facts before we judge. Apparently the fire department stayed busy with over 20 fires reported before 11p.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,572 times
Fireworks...

Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Well, there's no winners in this one, that's for sure...

My heart and prayers go out to ALL involved in this, including the veteran firefighter who was driving this truck....

One thing from the article really mystifies me though....

cut & pasted from article:
"Around 7 p.m., the firefighter stopped at a Wells Fargo parking lot at Horal Drive and Marbach Road to ask for directions to the call. When he left the lot and headed east on Marbach for Loop 410, he struck the woman, who was in a wheelchair, said San Antonio police Sgt. Warren Gilstrap."

Are emergency vehicles not equipped with navigators? I realize that in some areas you can't get a signal, but within city limits..... I mean......
I am NOT implying this had anything to do with the accident; It just caught my eye and got my head shaking.......

I will be interested in hearing more details from this event.......

Old 01-01-2008, 03:18 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
So far only the local FOX station and the EN are reporting the getting directions story and I'd love to hear an explanation for that one if it's indeed true. Wasn't the fire on 90? Even my seriously directions challenged daughter could find 90 from the Wells Fargo on Marbach..

It is an awful story though and I can totally see how this could happen. He was probably having a hard time getting out on Marbach because people wouldn't yield. I've seen that happen more than a few times here and can't figure out the logic behind it..
I'd also like to hear if the fire was caused by fireworks. They need to completely ban them here since people aren't bright enough to recognize unsafe conditions..

Old 01-01-2008, 08:49 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
They need to completely ban them here since people aren't bright enough to recognize unsafe conditions..
Ok this is the second *** thing I've ever heard. The first was someone wanting to take our "gas guzzling trucks away"

Ok so we should take away all vehicles of those who drive when it rains, snows, and ices correct?

I can understand one being upset about fires that were started but please don't jump in with quick statements of revoking things because someone got killed because of a fire that might have been started by a firework. It's unfortunate that a person died. You can't blame the gun maker for a murder so don't blame a person shooting fireworks for the womans death.

I edited my post because my choice of words were not the most polite, I just got bothered by the comment to ban all fireworks because of the poor womans death.

Last edited by 1StarRanch; 01-01-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Fireworks, the use of them, the possession of them, are already illegal within San Antonio. They definitely need to start enforcing these things around New Years and 4th of July and start handing out citations en masse.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:25 AM

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and I'm going to stand by mine. Most people are too irresponsible to handle the explosives they're holding, especially when you combine it with this areas thirst for alcohol.. They've been illegal in every other area I've lived in and now I know why. I used to be in favor of them, but now I'm definitely against them.

and like Merovee said, they ARE ILLEGAL in the city.. police around here seriously need to start earning a paycheck.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
and like Merovee said, they ARE ILLEGAL in the city.. police around here seriously need to start earning a paycheck.
Thanks for attacking our police. I'm sure that will get people to respect you.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 AM

The lack of action by the police has been brought up more than a few times here and for many different reasons.

But anyhow, this KSAT link: Fire Truck Hits, Kills Handicapped Woman - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/14958062/detail.html - broken link) actually mentioned the word intoxication, which I haven't heard at all in any of this so far. I would hope that isn't even a factor and if it isn't then KSAT should not even mention it. They also talked about the driver thinking he had debris under the truck. I found that rather odd..

Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Please be fair....you took this (the word intoxication was mentioned) out of context. Here's the entire quote:

“There’s absolutely no probable cause or reason to believe this firefighter was intoxicated in any way, again, just an accident,” San Antonio Police Sgt. Gabe Trevino said."

Sounds like it was a response to a media query.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio