Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Hopefully he won't be.
So you're saying these cities and their residents have no right to exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
The residents can exist, of course. But those enclaves have no right to set artificially low speed limits & to harass anyone who's transiting through. Hollywood Park has those "HP" stickers for their residents. Why? For profiling, for goodness' sakes! That is wrong! (Thanks for ruining Harry Potter & Hewlett-Packard, Hollywood Park!)

These communities had the chance to be good, responsible members of Bexar County & they screwed it up. Revoke their right to be independent & harassing. Or they could just give up the harassment, as in the case of the above young man. Why does Castle Hills patrol 410 at all? They're right on the boundary. Leave the accident clean ups & radar running to DPS & SAPD.

Oh, but wait....wait....then Castle Hills misses out on generating revenue on 410? Goodness me, say it isn't so! I thought it was all about SAFETY?! ;-)

Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
The residents of those cities legally incorporated and should have the right to pass laws and limits that they deem appropriate as long as they don't violate stale/federal constitutional rights. The world doesn't revolve around your sense of justice. Also 410, where the speed limit is set by TXDOT, cuts through castle hills and it being their jurisdiction they HAVE to respond to accidents.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:22 AM

657 posts, read 1,937,177 times
Quote:
The residents can exist, of course. But those enclaves have no right to set artificially low speed limits & to harass anyone who's transiting through. Hollywood Park has those "HP" stickers for their residents. Why? For profiling, for goodness' sakes! That is wrong! (Thanks for ruining Harry Potter & Hewlett-Packard, Hollywood Park!)

These communities had the chance to be good, responsible members of Bexar County & they screwed it up. Revoke their right to be independent & harassing. Or they could just give up the harassment, as in the case of the above young man. Why does Castle Hills patrol 410 at all? They're right on the boundary. Leave the accident clean ups & radar running to DPS & SAPD.

Oh, but wait....wait....then Castle Hills misses out on generating revenue on 410? Goodness me, say it isn't so! I thought it was all about SAFETY?! ;-)
Technically Castle Hills isn't on the boundary. 410 bisects Castle Hills, about 1/3 of the city is inside 410.

So technically San Antonio doesn't have any jurisdiction on that small stretch of 410 to respond to accidents. Obviously DPS does have jurisdiction, but they don't have any fire or ambulance units to respond to accidents on that stretch. It has to be either Bexar County or Castle Hills for fire response and I don't think Bexar county will respond anywhere there are city services available.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:

Really? Those "enclaves" have every right to do what is allowed under the Texas Government Code, whether you agree with it or not.

And stating that they had a chance to be "good, responsible members of Bexar County" and "screwed it up" couldn't be more hypocritical. What audacity does it take to propose to "revoke their right to be independent & harassing?!?" Who died and crowned you king?

Lastly, whether you like it or not, the state clearly gives these entities the right to post speed limits as long as they abide by state law (which they do), as well with the right to enforce those laws. Just because someone is not adult enough to understand that and cannot accept responsibility if they fail to obey such laws and are caught doing so doesn't mean the laws are wrong. You and anyone else who disagrees with those laws can make every effort to change them, but a democratic society doesn't focus on the opinions of just one person but society in general. Get the majority of citizens to agree with you and the law will change, otherwise your or anyone else's complaining is just pissing in the wind...

I am sure the residents of such enclaves will be more than happy that those who don't want to obey their laws to just stay out of them in the first place.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
To make it fair, COSA should bill any resident of any of the "enclaves" like Castle Hills for accident clean ups they are at fault for in any part of San Antonio property.

Any "enclave" that doesn't bill like Castle Hills should be exempt of course.

I know that is not a realistic solution, but it would nice if that could be enforced.

I don't really buy the "loss of revenue" argument because people from San Antonio bring all kind of business to these "enclaves" like eating at restaurants, buying goods at stores, and of course paying fines. It would seem to me that it all balances out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio