Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 25,765 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, need some information on San Antonio. My husband may have a job opportunity in the area and I am curious as to whether or not it would be a good fit for us. Currently we live in Orlando, FL but we are originally from New Jersey. We are both in our late 30's with no children. We enjoy going out to bars and restaurants, love being outdoors and outdoor activities. My husband plays softball and basketball, we both golf, and love to swim, snowboard, camp, etc. Orlando is ok but some of my complaints are that everything here seems to be a chain restaurant (Olive Garden, Longhorns, Fridays, Chilli's, etc) and where we are from on the Jersey shore it was very different, lots of privately owned restaurants, bars, etc. which I loved! There also is very minimal live music to be found here in Orlando when in NJ you could go out any night of the week and find an awesome live band. I love small, cozy, hole in the wall type bars where locals come to hang out and the bartenders make it a point to try and get to know their local clientele. In Orlando due to the massive amount of tourists there to visit the mouse this is almost non existent. I was wondering what the entertainment was like in San Antonio and the surrounding areas and if you felt it sounded more like Orlando or the Jersey shore as I described.

Another thing I don't really like about Orlando is the Palmetto bugs. They are enormous cockroaches that fly from the palm trees and I can't stand them!! They completely freak me out!! I'm not a big fan of bugs period but these are the worst. What is the bug and pest situation like there? And how about snakes? Do you see many of those?

My other complaint about Orlando is the weather. I feel like we have summer pretty much from the end of April until well into October if not beginning of November. My favorite months in Orlando are November and March, 70's during the day 50's at night, bright blue skies, little humidity and no rain. I miss the change of seasons we had in New Jersey. I know Texas gets hot in the summer and in the summer I am fine with that as long as its only in the summer, not also spring and fall. I get so jealous of my family and friends in Jersey when they get to pull out there sweaters come September. So basically I would love a general feel for what the weather is like in San Antonio different times of the year. I have looked at the average weather but I feel you get a much better idea of what you are dealing with when talking to the people who live there rather than looking at a bunch of charts with averages.

Lastly I would love just a general idea of the people in San Antonio. When we moved down from Jersey eight years ago it took quite awhile to make new friends. Not that people in Orlando aren't friendly but so many people in the Orlando area are tourists it took awhile to find the locals. People around here seem to stay to themselves, make no effort to get to know their neighbors, and everything moves at a very fast pace. Just curious as to how it is there. I keep hearing how friendly people in Texas are and I am hoping its true. My husband and I are outgoing, friendly people and are hoping San Antonio is the same! Any information would be greatly appreciated. We are hoping to make it out there to check it out for ourselves but would love an insiders perspective!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 03:22 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html

Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 PM

Thanks ashbeeigh, I already had looked there but it really didn't give me the information I was looking for.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Do you have jobs here? Or are your jobs transportable? I'd consider that first.

There are parts of San Antonio that are just like you describe Orlando - all Chain restaurants, loads of tourists.

There are other parts of San Antonio that are more diverse, less "anywhere USA", lots of independent entertainment and dining options (tho still a lot of tourists).

It's drier here but summer does last from April - Nov, at least. And we have giant cockroaches. People are definitely friendly, but like anywhere will take awhile to develop deeper relationships.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 PM

48 posts, read 77,494 times
I wouldn't take my advice too seriously because I don't live in San Antonio, I've visited twice before and am here now looking for a place to live. I don't know it very well, but can give you an idea for what it feels like, at least on the surface. I was born and raised in Orlando so I can give you a good frame of reference for what I think San Antonio is like on the surface. Others who live here know more, hopefully you find someone who has lived in both for a long time. I have lived in a dozen cities across the US.

A large portion of San Antonio reminds me very much of the I-drive area in Orlando 10 years ago. Parts of the suburbs inbetween the outer ring and inner ring are very reminiscent of Sanford and west of Altamonte Mall. There is a lot of stuff jammed into just about every available piece of real estate along every road. There are a ton of chains every different exit on the highway. I think that is fairly common in Texas/Florida, it seems strikingly so in San Antonio. I'm sure there are plenty of places with uniqueness just like there are in Orlando, but they are outnumbered. Just looking for things to do while here and it sounds much more Orlando than Jersey.

I have visited in summer and winter, I'd say hotter and less humid than Orlando in the summer and probably a bit colder in the winter.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 AM

448 posts, read 813,474 times
OP, where is your job opportunity at?

IMO, most of San Antonio is like you (and recklesscognition) described Orlando being - lots of chains, suburban sprawl, etc. There are areas of San Antonio that are more like what you're looking for, but you'd have to make sure you targeted those specific neighborhoods (Southtown being the first that comes to mind) in order to get more mom-and-pop/local small businesses. They are definitely here, just not as prominent as the chains are throughout most of the metro area.

There are bugs and snakes here, but it's not like Florida (from what I've heard) but it's going to be worse than locations farther north. We do have large roaches here and I know they *can* fly, but I've only ever seen one or two actually do it. 95% of the time I see them on the ground. They're also highly localized. I've lived in houses where I saw them pretty often and others where I never did.

Quote:
My other complaint about Orlando is the weather. I feel like we have summer pretty much from the end of April until well into October if not beginning of November. My favorite months in Orlando are November and March, 70's during the day 50's at night, bright blue skies, little humidity and no rain. I miss the change of seasons we had in New Jersey. I know Texas gets hot in the summer and in the summer I am fine with that as long as its only in the summer, not also spring and fall. I get so jealous of my family and friends in Jersey when they get to pull out there sweaters come September.
It's pretty warm here for 8+ months out of the year. It can be different depending on bigger weather patterns like El Nino, but most of the time it's 85/90 degree highs by May and that stays into October. September is *at least* as hot as June, if not hotter. Definitely no sweaters until the first cold front comes through in late November (if then.) It's not even reliably cold in the winter time. A lot of people really like that, but I honestly hate the temperature swings. It was 80 degrees two days ago. In January. Now it's 35 and raining. The reverse can be true as well. I remember a spring several years ago where it was pretty hot in April but then cooler in May.

Other than that, it's going to be both a bit hotter and less humid than Orlando. Probably more comfortable, IMO, due to the humidity difference, but that's really specific to an individual's preferences.

Lastly, Texas is definitely a friendly place. I've never heard of anyone having trouble meeting people here. I moved when I was a young teenager and didn't have any problems making new friends - although I know that's easier for kids to do. My parents didn't either.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Thank you so much to all who have replied! Chaka, yes if we were to move it would be for my husband's job, he is a general manager of a restaurant that is opening a new restaurant there and he was asked if he would be interested. I just graduated nursing school so I am not working now anyway that's why we felt like if we were to make a move now may be the best time before I start with a new employer. I am pretty bummed about the giant cockroaches, I was really hoping to get away from them, lol! Oh well those little buggers certainly wouldn't be a reason not to come, I guess we would just have to have an exterminator spray often like we do here. Plus I have cats so if I find them they are usually dead, they are the best method of pest control I have ever found!! The weather sound like it is similar but less humid, which is a good thing, I guess.
Recklesscognition, thanks for your post, it is nice having a perspective from someone who has been to both. I definitely don't hate Orlando, I did when we first moved here, but it has definitely grown on me. But I am definitely ready for a change. I love exploring new areas. I am excited about the culture and history of San Antonio! The nice thing about my husband's job is that it does give us an opportunity to move around so 8 we decided to go and didn't like it we can always go somewhere else!! Thanks again for all the info guys!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:49 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderlacey View Post
I am pretty bummed about the giant cockroaches, I was really hoping to get away from them, lol! Oh well those little buggers certainly wouldn't be a reason not to come, I guess we would just have to have an exterminator spray often like we do here. Plus I have cats so if I find them they are usually dead, they are the best method of pest control I have ever found!! The weather sound like it is similar but less humid, which is a good thing, I guess.
They are here, but not hugely pervasive. You will see them from time to time outside, but, truthfully, it's rare.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM

341 posts, read 708,756 times
I'm very interested in San Antonio recently as a possible relocation. And Texas in general. I had been interested in Florida too for some time but decided against it. The reasons being: very transient, high crime, rude people (probably because of the large number of transplants and being a tourist destination not only domestic but internarional), and yes very fast paced. Kinda like the northeast. Again because most transplant from the northeast. Also the hurricane threat, high humidity. Both states have no state income tax which is a plus. A big question to ask yourself is in terms of culture. Orlando is much more of a northeast type culture: fast paced, fairly rude, abrupt, to-the-point etc. Also the cultural makeup resembles that of New Jersey; Italians and Puerto Ricans. OTOH, San Antonio is very much Mexican, Chicano and such. Very different. And it's culture is not east coast at all but rather southwest and Texan of course. I don't know San Antonio very well but have heard or researched it does get very hot. Surely not as humid as Orlando. I prefer San Antonio naturally, but I am a California native. I lived in the northeast for a few years (PA/NJ/NY) but wouldn't wanna return. I'd just rather stay where I am now in Atlanta or move back west or southwest.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 10,432 times
There are some great restaurant options in San Antonio that are not chain restaurants. I spent about four years of my childhood here and have recently come back to live here in the last few years. I have found some very nice bars downtown (though mainly for tourists) on the northwest, north and northeast sides of town though havent explored the south side as much.
If you can't make friends in San Antonio, you are not trying. The people are friendly and it is easy to find groups of people to do stuff with.
May-September is hot. October-November is pleasant. December through February is cold (for Texas) and March-April is pleasant.
Though you can definitely find plenty of options for live music in San Antonio, you are also very close to Austin, which is considered Live Music Capital.
If you move here, get out and enjoy the city. Become a part of the culture, history and events San Antonio has to offer. It's a great, vibrant city.
[Mod cut: City Data does not permit posts containing realtor advertising or solicitation of business. Please refer to the Terms of Service, available at the top of every forum index page]

Last edited by elnina; 01-26-2015 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio