Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,500 times

Advertisements

1984 Aerosmith before they went all softcore

opening acts was

STONE FURY BREAK DOWN THE - YouTube

Black 'n Blue - Hold on to 18 (HQ audio) - YouTube

Terrible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
First one and only one, now that I think about it, I saw in SA was the Deftones a couple of years back at the ATT Center

Old 09-15-2013, 11:57 AM

293 posts, read 392,055 times
White zombie with fear factory at the sunken gardens

Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
First concert in SA was "Creedance Clearwater Revival".

Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 AM

243 posts, read 333,814 times
Iron Butterfly at the old arena. Back in the late 60's

Old 09-17-2013, 12:27 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Iron Butterfly at the old arena. Back in the late 60's

Yeppers, Ron Bushy the drummer for them broke his drum stick and threw it to the crowd, and I caught it!!! I think I had that thing for close to 10 yrs!!!!

Saw Janis Joplin in the Hemisphere arena, then she died. Went and saw Jimi Hendrix there, and then HE died. I quit concerts for a while thinking I was a jinx!!! LOL

Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 AM

457 posts, read 661,374 times
Default The first?

OK, kiddies, here's a "first" concert experience:
SA Municipal Auditorium, Jerry Lee Lewis!
Drums, Bass, Guitar and a complete mad man on piano! No massive sound system, just the amps on stage. (Just like the Beatles on their first tour in 1964!). At the time Lewis was enjoying the success of
his second hit, "Great Balls of Fire". I don't recall any warm-up act, just Lewis and his band. It was amazing! The stage antics; kicking the piano seat back, several feet behind him, while hammering the keyboard (amazingly in the right key and perfectly executed), hair flying! Unlike Elvis in later performances, where the screaming completely drowned out the music, you could hear Jerry Lee.

For those who never had the experience, the Municipal Auditorium had great acoustics, as it was designed and built prior to amplified sound systems. (The Majestic in SA & the Paramount in Austin also shared this quality). The Municipal Auditorium was also the venue of the "Shower of Stars" and other large musical road shows. It's hard to believe that these shows featured six to ten of the biggest recording stars of the day, each doing 3 to 5 songs, for the amazing price of $2.00 or $3.00!

The last time I had the opportunity to attend a concert at the Auditorium was in the mid 1960's.
The headliners were the Sam and Dave Review. When we arrived at the box office about half an hour
prior to show time, the banner across the box office stated "Show Cancelled", the box office was issuing refunds. A major disappointment!

The last concert I attended was the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up" tour at the Superdome in New Orleans. A couple of numbers into the show, the huge video screen above and behind the stage,
informed the public that this was the largest indoor concert in history! 85,000 + people! I decided that was enough! From 1500-2000 fans at the first concert I attended, to over 85,000, enough was enough!

Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
Great balls of fire!!..

My first concert, while I lived in SA, was sometime in '82, '83???....at the old Coliseum.
Opening act was Heart,...great tunes, "Barracuda", "Dog and Butterfly", "Crazy on You", etc, then John Cougar (before the Mellencamp) came on stage and this guy rocked the place!!...I remember that right in the middle of "Thundering Hearts", he jumped on top of the lead guitarrist's shoulders and this guy did not missed a beat...kept on playing like nothing....totally awesome...."China Girl", and then "Hurts so Good".
I remember at the time he was touring to promote the "American Fool" album along with new material for the next album.
Years later I caught Santana, REO, and a bunch of others...memory is kind od fuzzy
My first concert was in South Florida (Miami) sometime around '75, '76...my brother just gotten out of the US Marines and took me to see Uriah Heep and KISS in concert. Blew my mind!!!...watching Gene Simmon's bass guitar spewing flares out to the audience, Peter Criss playing drums while being suspended up in the air left an everlasting impression on yours truly.

For those about to rock.......

Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Linda Ronstandt
When I was in elementary school in the 70's.

My mom took me and my little brother.
It was my first time smelling pot

Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Default First Concert

Creedance Clearwater Revival
at the Hemisfair Arena

"Bad Moon Rising"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio