Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times

Advertisements

Did you buy any groceries? Why don't you invite us all over to your house for a BBQ and afterwards we can vote on who is the most fit and most stylish on city-data.com. Just having fun with you... the Devil made me do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 PM

181 posts, read 674,401 times
You seriously went to all those places to "people watch?" I believe that you had a negative attitude from the moment you walked in, so of course all you saw were the negatives of the people you were watching. Just as Sapphire said, "You see what you want to see." I wish I had all that time on my hands, but I would do something worthwhile with my time.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM

925 posts, read 1,228,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
A number of you doubt the credibility of people watching in regards to establishing the culture or general attitudes, beliefs, or ideals of a general population. You think, how can observing people at grocery stores, restaurants, or malls in any way give insight into the true demographics of a community.

For the last three weeks, I've been actively people watching in San Antonio. I wanted to question the basis of my beliefs; to find out why I see the general population of this city the way I do and determine whether or not my personal beliefs were justified. After my scientific experiment, I can decisively state that my previous beliefs were accurate.

I went to the HEB in Olmos Park, the Central Market in Alamo Heights, the HEB at I-10 Dezevala, the HEB at Bandera 1604, and the HEB at South Presa. In all of these locations, I observed an astounding number of similarities between individuals at these diverse locations. I went for an hour each day, at different times during the day, and different days of the week.

Also, I checked out a number of coffee houses, restaurants, night spots, and malls, and astoungingly, noticed many of the same characteristics.

The one place I did notice some diversity was at La Cantera mall. However, it seems much of the sentiments that have been expressed by myself and others still hold true regarding the general population characteristics of San Antonio.

So, now you can't tell me that I'm just "making it up", because I have repeatable scientific data to back up my assertions.
Firstly, wasn't Hello the one to first purpose that "genius" methodology on this forum? Secondly, wasn't that like within the last week? Thirdly, you don't even list your findings? Like a typical Dane Cook joke, all set up and no real pay off. Fourthly, is there someway I could possibly get the time back I wasted reading that? Lastly, how lonely, sad, pathetic (will this word get my post deleted?) does someone have to be to actually do what you just described?

Last edited by Insomniac; 01-10-2008 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
A number of you doubt the credibility of people watching in regards to establishing the culture or general attitudes, beliefs, or ideals of a general population. You think, how can observing people at grocery stores, restaurants, or malls in any way give insight into the true demographics of a community.

For the last three weeks, I've been actively people watching in San Antonio. I wanted to question the basis of my beliefs; to find out why I see the general population of this city the way I do and determine whether or not my personal beliefs were justified. After my scientific experiment, I can decisively state that my previous beliefs were accurate.

I went to the HEB in Olmos Park, the Central Market in Alamo Heights, the HEB at I-10 Dezevala, the HEB at Bandera 1604, and the HEB at South Presa. In all of these locations, I observed an astounding number of similarities between individuals at these diverse locations. I went for an hour each day, at different times during the day, and different days of the week.

Also, I checked out a number of coffee houses, restaurants, night spots, and malls, and astoungingly, noticed many of the same characteristics.

The one place I did notice some diversity was at La Cantera mall. However, it seems much of the sentiments that have been expressed by myself and others still hold true regarding the general population characteristics of San Antonio.

So, now you can't tell me that I'm just "making it up", because I have repeatable scientific data to back up my assertions.
To quote Bill Engvall...."Here's Your Sign"!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,869 times
Quote:
. I went to the HEB in Olmos Park, the Central Market in Alamo Heights, the HEB at I-10 Dezevala, the HEB at Bandera 1604, and the HEB at South Presa. In all of these locations, I observed an astounding number of similarities between individuals at these diverse locations. I went for an hour each day, at different times during the day, and different days of the week.
I'd just like to know if this is a paying gig, and if so, can I get in on it? I've been people watching at HEB's all over San Antonio and all I got from it was a few free samples!

Check out my in-depth and highly analytical research here.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 AM

57 posts, read 158,433 times
Quote:

From what you describe sounds like you have a Science paper in your hands. Your methods are flawless. And your conclusions are backed by solid data. If I were you I’d submit it for publication without delay; someone might beat you to the punch.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
[quote=infinity & beyond;2476404]

I went to the HEB in Olmos Park, the Central Market in Alamo Heights, the HEB at I-10 Dezevala, the HEB at Bandera 1604, and the HEB at South Presa. In all of these locations, I observed an astounding number of similarities between individuals at these diverse locations.
quote]

Are you insane or blind? Did you also notice "astounding similarities" between Stone Oak area and the AT&T Center area? Or the Dominion and the Apache Courts?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
I think the OP has been scared off, but that is just my non-scientific observation!

I like to people-watch as well, it is an enjoyable way to pass time while the wife is shopping or I am waiting for someone at the airport. And of course I draw my own conclusions from my observations, but I consider those results to be opinions.

But a great thread, if anything it got people's passions boiling. And I would like to throw in a plug for SilverCreek78250's "in-depth and highly analytical research," I am a great fan of his observations! Maybe not scientific, but extremely insightful and entertaining!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
I would still like to read the results of the OPs study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio