Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,631 times

Advertisements

OK...a question for all of you tree huggers (not meant in a bad way) out there. My big live oak behind our house is shedding bark. A LOT of bark. At first I thought maybe the dog was pulling it off because he (for some reason) likes to eat the oak bark, but after looking at the tree, it's obvious it's falling off. It appears to be on the two main trunks that go up at an angle and it's only shedding from the underneath side of those trunks. Has anyone else had this happen before? I'd hate to lose this tree because it gives such great shade to our back yard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,743 times
I'd get an arborist out out there. I know on one of the homes I sold we had this problem and ended up having to take them down before they fell on the house. Apparently when they were constructing the house, they drove trucks too close to the trees and compacted the roots. It caused a slow death in the trees and about 3 years later the bark started falling off. I have also heard that over-watering can choke them out and cause this. Best bet is to check with a pro.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
I suggest the same.....altho I have heard that some of the Oak trees are doing STRANGE things this year because of all the rain last summer...we have two HUGE oak trees and for the first time that we have known of the front one is dropping acorns!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:48 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Ugh, I love my oak trees and the shade they provide, but I must have 700 baby oaks growing in my back yard. All the acorns are sprouting. Does anyone know what I need to do? We just keep weed-eating them, but something tells me that's not going to be sufficient. I seriously don't know what to do.

There aren't as many in the front, but we do have some. The problem is we only have one little squirrel and thousands of nuts. His little friends are now road kill. So sad--I swear some people swerve to kill them on purpose.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,873 times
Try digging them up, putting them in pots and letting them get bigger. Then go sell them to homes in these new communities who have leveled the lots in order to build.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:05 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
You know, that crossed my mind. But there are literally hundreds of them.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
I'm not trying to send you all away, but there's a great group of forums with tons of experts for these questions. Is it a no-no to post the site on here?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,206,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Ugh, I love my oak trees and the shade they provide, but I must have 700 baby oaks growing in my back yard. All the acorns are sprouting. Does anyone know what I need to do? We just keep weed-eating them, but something tells me that's not going to be sufficient. I seriously don't know what to do.

There aren't as many in the front, but we do have some. The problem is we only have one little squirrel and thousands of nuts. His little friends are now road kill. So sad--I swear some people swerve to kill them on purpose.
When you find the cure please, please let me know. I have this problem too. We have a deck on the front of the house and the oaks are coming thru it. I have to literally weed eat my deck. I am scared to put anything on them to kill the little sprouts because I'm afraid it will hurt the mature oaks.
They have also taken over a couple of my flower beds.

Slaleman, let us know what you find out about the bark. I have a ton of oak trees and I have never seen this.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm not trying to send you all away, but there's a great group of forums with tons of experts for these questions. Is it a no-no to post the site on here?
I'd say post it, but could you PM me with it too?

Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
I'd say post it, but could you PM me with it too?

Thanks

Just sent you a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio