Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,386 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else ever ride the escalator to the top in Rhodes and throw a penny out into the middle of the big dangling metal artwork thing and listen to it ping all the way to the first floor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,824 times
Does anyone remember the flea market that used to be at Wonderland on Sat/Sun back in the 70's?

I have a hard time calling it "Crossroads", too. I wish they'd change the name back to "Wonderland". Half the time I refer to the mall as that anyway, only to have to correct myself!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,391 times
Great memories. I remember very well the Woolworth's and it's cafeteria, but I can not for the life of me recall there being a Winn's! I remember buying new school shoes at Rhodes (when I was little) and having a "Coke" at the soda counter in Sommer's with my Dad. The bank that was across from it was a San Antonio Savings I believe. During middle school years the cool shoe store was Baker's, of course. I remember the magic shop but don't recall the name. I'd always go with my brother as he was always trying his hand at some new trick. The fiberglass slide was great fun. Like someone else stated, you could really catch some air at one point. And I remember the theater. I saw my very first R rated movie there with my Mom. "A Star is Born" and I was only 16! Oh, and the Tandy Leather Company! I always wanted to buy one of those leather kits to make a purse with the fringe

Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I wonder if Target would even want that. I don't know of any Target stores that are attached to an enclosed mall.
A mall in San Diego had a target that had a mall entrance, you can tell it was an old department store. The target had 2 floors and next to the escalator was there was a small escalator for your shopping cart. I thought that was neat.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 PM

I remember the winn's i believe had wooden floors? I could be wrong.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,231 times
Was there a Sears Roebuck store located at this mall?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I don't think there was ever a Sears. There was a Montgomery Wards for many years.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Was Frost bros there when the mall opened?

Last edited by Willsatx; 10-29-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Wrong wording

Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM

22 posts, read 83,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
There used to be another record store inside the mall in the early to mid 1980's. Does anybody remember this? I can't remember if it was a chain store or locally owned, but I can name at least 3 records or tapes I bought there:

The first Aldo Nova record
Triumph: Stages
and Van Halen's 5150

I was a huge Van Halen fan back in the day and I remember my father patiently taking me to the mall the day the album was released, we got there before the stores were even open. I just remember my father patiently waiting with me outside that record store. He didn't even know who the heck Van Halen was, or why his teenage son could be so excited about a new album (Van Halen with Sammy Haggar????!!!) but he never questionned a thing. I was 16 years old at the time and for some reason couldn't use my car (it was always broke), but I had the money for the album and he just took me. It's a very quiet memory of my father, but one of the most powerful for me.

Any way, if anybody can remember the name of this place, it would be much appreciated.
Awesome story about your Dad I have similar memory's about my Dad and Wonderland. It was my Dad that took me to see the dinosaurs at Wland. He also would let me hang out at the slot car store while he patiently waited outside watching the people.
Could the record store have been Record Hole? The was one of my favorite places in North Star Mall in the seventies. I think there was one in McCreles too.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,061 times
Did burlington always be there or was the place something else before it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio