Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,832,219 times

Advertisements

I'm really glad that publicity for this has been spreading. Still waiting for Wired to pick up on it on their threat level series, but they take a while sometimes. They ran a story when Comcast was using throttling software to screw with Torrents a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,207,784 times
The good news: Time-Warner is introducing an unlimited Internet plan!

The bad news: The unlimited plan will cost $150/month.

DailyTech - Time Warner: Unlimited Internet for $150 Per Month

Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,457,845 times
TWC needs to fire some people because they obviously have a serious drug problem. I am still interested in what they are going to do with the price-lock people. I haven't heard anything about that.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,832,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
TWC needs to fire some people because they obviously have a serious drug problem. I am still interested in what they are going to do with the price-lock people. I haven't heard anything about that.
lol - $150/month? Isn't that more than it costs for a small business account?

I'm working from home today... glad that I'm not on TW because the 3D modeling program we use had an update pushed yesterday. It was a huge download. No telling how large because it took the better part of an hour to install.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,849,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
lol - $150/month? Isn't that more than it costs for a small business account?

I'm working from home today... glad that I'm not on TW because the 3D modeling program we use had an update pushed yesterday. It was a huge download. No telling how large because it took the better part of an hour to install.
Simple solution- Petition your firm to subsidize your home office internet connection.If they don't agree...you now know where you stand in their eyes.
If self-employed, it's write off anyway.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 AM

here's a statement from TWC (finally), which actually makes me more mad and it looks like that two year agreement thing will be trash. I really don't want crappy slow dsl and unionized at&t, though. this bites the big one!

Time Warner moving forward on usage-based fees | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,767,233 times
TWC (namely Dudley and CEO Britt) have seen so much well-deserved criticism from the blogosphere and news sites as of late, it's a wonder they're still going to proceed with this.

But what a blatant ripoff it is; HSI is already a highly profitable business for them, especially as they're the only cable internet provider that hasn't yet rolled out the relatively inexpensive DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades (~$20 per customer as opposed to the $600+ or so Verizon is spending per capita for FiOS). But for them to spin this as though they're doing folks a favor iby increasing the cost and limiting the bandwidth is asinine and I'm glad the media is calling them on it (again and again, I've provided some popular links below). They don't pay more per se for bandwidth hogs, and even if they did, they're still making a huge profit!

I think folks are going to flock away from them in droves if what I've read online by countless angry customers in affected areas is any indication. U-Verse-U-Verse-U-Verse is all I read, but I've heard that ATT is colluding and will begin doing the same in the fall. Still, it may be a smart move now, to send TWC a msg.

Here's some good links on the story; that WOAI story is so biased, funny and misleading, it's not even funny . It seems like TWC was just handed a page to write their own article so here's some more critical links of TWC's douchebaggery:

The price-gouging premiums of Time Warner Cable's data caps - Ars Technica
Time Warner tries again, fails to justify caps and charges - Ars Technica
Consumer Group Asks Congress to Investigate Bandwidth Caps | Epicenter from Wired.com
Time Warner Cable Expands Metered Billing - Rochester, Austin, Greensboro and San Antonio... - dslreports.com
There's No Data To Prove Metered Billing Is Necessary - Journalists start crunching numbers, call Time Warner plan 'obscene' - dslreports.com
Time Warner Cable Offers Weak Concessions - Media damage control effort falls short, trots out the exaflood... - dslreports.com
Rochester, NY Versus Time Warner Cable - Locals beg for Verizon FiOS to come save them... - dslreports.com
(UPDATE #4: bit more detail) TWC/Road Runner tiered Internet pricing coming to Austin/San Antonio -AustinChronicle

Last edited by tekka-maki; 04-11-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 AM

The WOAI link above is the statement from the TWC COO. Only the first three paragraphs were from a WOAI reporter, which is why there isn't much hype and hoopla in it.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,767,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
The WOAI link above is the statement from the TWC COO. Only the first three paragraphs were from a WOAI reporter, which is why there isn't much hype and hoopla in it.
I was just hoping they'd be a tad more critical in the 1st 3... I mean, this is crazy stuff. I know we've in the past joked about kool-aid drinkers and whatnot.

It appears, that TWC are the biggest kool-aid drinkers of them all!!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 AM

I was actually happy to see something from WOAI that wasn't all hype and fluff. I'm still hoping TWC doesn't go full retard, but am prepared to look elsewhere. I wish there was another option that didn't involve placing an ugly dish on my house or union labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio