Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times

Advertisements

Just note that the link Steel Man published does not reflect any changes since Prop 9 passed in November. I have not heard of what the changes may be, but as I only have 60% disability rating, I haven't been paying attention to it. Another good source of info for you would be the Texas Veterans Commission.

On special occassions, I will go back to the exact parking lot where we were dropped off that first night. I still can hear "pick 'em up, put 'em down" over and over again! But I wouldn't have changed one iota of my stint in the USAF, it was a great time. 3704 BMTS, Flight 515, SSgt D. D. Rogers, I will never forget him. I never knew such a small person could be so loud!

The second time around (AFROTC FT) was so much easier. I was also a SSgt at the time, so none of it really bothered me. Actually, I thought it was funny when a TI came up and tried to mess with me; but I only laughed on the inside.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Oh, and here is the info on the VA Medical Center here in San Antonio...

Quote:
South Texas Veterans
Health Care System
Audie L. Murphy Memorial
Veterans Hospital

7400 Merton Minter Blvd.
San Antonio, TX 78284
210/ 617-5300
Click on the hospital name to get to their web site.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
...On special occassions, I will go back to the exact parking lot where we were dropped off that first night. I still can hear "pick 'em up, put 'em down" over and over again! But I wouldn't have changed one iota of my stint in the USAF, it was a great time. 3704 BMTS, Flight 515, SSgt D. D. Rogers, I will never forget him. I never knew such a small person could be so loud!

The second time around (AFROTC FT) was so much easier. I was also a SSgt at the time, so none of it really bothered me. Actually, I thought it was funny when a TI came up and tried to mess with me; but I only laughed on the inside.

Cheers! M2
We had an old TSgt TI and a young A1C Asst TI. They called us some names that I never heard of and then everyone had 15 minutes to shave off their beards (I just had long sideburns, so not too bad) with soap only. I was the biggest guy there, so they made me Dorm Chief. That first night I remember one guy was crying (28 years old no less). That Friday night was also the same night that I could have been with a nice looking girl I knew who asked me to her prom a couple of weeks earlier. Now, that was my ONLY regret!
(3703rd, Flt 556)

Old 01-20-2008, 08:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
My fondest memory was about 15 days in--2 of my fellow airmen were dispatched to the BX to get us all hooked up with some, uh, Correctol. There just wasn't time for some things! The sad part was, no one had even thought about it until we were asked about our last, um, bathroom event.

The end of May was not the smartest time to enlist, either. Kinda hot for wool socks, combat boots, and fatigues.

I was the House Mouse.

The saddest thing was someone actually committed suicide while I was there. Not a girl from my flight, but a guy in one of the nearby dorms. We were kept awake some nights by girls just bawling, but most of them washed out rather quickly.

Our TI told us daily how "Uckin' Fugly" we were!! LOUDLY!! Fond memories!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 PM

13 posts, read 53,829 times
"It was the best of times, and the worst of times!" It's great to share the memories - including, if you all remember, those relentless woolyboogers drifting across the lenolium under the cots. Oh yes, and upon arrival "get off my bus!" - as if the guy owned it. I do think I cried a little, but not much. I think the fear turned into action - just like they wanted. I am deeply sorry to learn of the suicide mentioned - the process can truly be more than what some expect and can be handled. I belive, hope, and pray, there are more safeguards in place to pick up on those strained individuals before something even near that happens in this current era. Understandable though, because many do join to get away from bad home situaitions -and in a bootcamp situation - their way out so to speak, sadly may have seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. RIP.

Thanks to all for the links as well. I will take time on Monday to inquire with a state entities and the Texas Veterans Commission about the newly passed proposition. I'll post what I learn. Majormadmax, what has your experience been at the VA in SA? Anyone else? Right now, the VA I go to is 2 hrs away, but it is excellent because it's supported/attached to an outstanding University Hospital. My neuro-otologist is a teaching professor at the U hospital, and he is the one who conducts the surgey in that one particular category - coming over to the VA OR to provide surgery and consultations on-site. It sounds like the SA VA has the same association with UTSA Medical School.
University affiliation is a win-win situation for the VA. the medical students/training programs, and those of us who are veterans grateful to be served.

Serving in a Wounded Warrior program interests me. I enjoy serving our young active duty population in my area as I am able. I'm so very proud of them and grateful for their service to God and Country. These yound men and women give me hope for our nation.

While there is a program like that here - it is rather small. I am sure in an area where there is a military hospital, the need is far greater. I enjoy being a part of instilling hope, as like many of you - have made it through some challenging situations. Being an active blessing to others brings a purpose to what we've been through. Since my background is in higher education, I could definately encourage them in the area of their educational future and opportunities to turn their recent life changing events into positive action.

Thanks to all who have served and are serving, to all who have sacrified and are sacrificing still.

Regards

Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Sorry, since I am retired I still get medical care on base. My PCM is down on Kelly, and I don't usually have a problem getting an appointment.

I did all my VA paperwork through the office at Ft Sam, and I gotta say they were more than helpful. But that has been the extent of my experience with the VA in San Antonio. However, being that there is such a large military presence here, to include a substantial retiree population, I would expect the VA to be very good. I have heard positive things about the Audie Murphy Medical Center, and it is located in the Medical Center area of San Antonio; but I have no firsthand experience with the place.

And as for the basic trainees at Lackland, they still go through a mental hell but there are a lot more safeguards in place so suicides are less common than they used to be. I had a bud who I was stationed with in Germany who later became a BMTS commander, and I even worked at the chow hall with him on Thanksgiving when I was still on active duty. The staff on the basic training side are well trained and diligent towards any indicators that may lead to suicide. It may still happen, but they are a lot more watchful than they used to be.

And one more basic training story...when we first arrived we were told to shave the next morning as we were going to get our haircuts and uniforms. One guy had a big biker mustache and I guess he was going to be Billy Badass as he didn't cut it off in the morning. Well, when we got to the barber shop the TI told the barber to take it off...dry! Yep, the barber took a straight blade and we all cringed as he shaved the guy's mustache off without any lather! Had to hurt for a week, but none of us wanted to ask if it did!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
1. VA Hospital "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." 6. Lived here all my life... no natural disasters to speak of. 6a. Humidity is not bad. Most homes have central air. Electric bill $85 to $140 depending on season and need. 7. USAA has the best auto insurance. 8. Medina Lake, Canyon Lake (it is still affordable a few blocks away from the shoreline)

Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Well, we did have those 2 tiny little floods!
The San Antonio Flood of 1998
Flood 2002 - San Antonio/Hill Country Photo Gallery by RichO at pbase.com

I guess humidity is a personal thing. I have naturally curly hair, and it frizzes up bad all summer, when it's humid. Bearable and "not too bad" to some people, PITA to me!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Cool Humitdity and Air Quality

One of the main reasons I am considering SA is that following my obtaining a service animal from Lackland AFB, a the Service Dog support/training is likely to be the best possible scenario for both the dog and I. So I'd like to inquire about the following;

Considering I'll be walking the Belgean Malonois a great deal, and considering he's a working dog who is bred for all climates, I'm sure the dog won't mind the humidity. I will confess however, that extreme humidity might get to me since I prefer the dry climate. However, I do realize one can adjust to any weather, as I came from an extreme cold climate to a hot desert climate some years ago on medical advice and aclimated to that just fine (dry heat).

I am interested to know how many folks out there get adjust to the humidity, and it turns out not to be such a big concern after all. I do recall years ago attending UT (TN) for a time, how drenched I felt just driving around in a car, and I admit to excessive humidity being a challenge for me as it's harder for me to get going despite focused effort. That's my only main concern about life in SA with a dog. UT (TN) was my only super-humid experience besides Kaneohe Bay, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, but both gave me some insight.

One can compensate as long as one has good A/C (not swamp), people can hibernate in their homes, so to speak, until the worst is over. How long is the worst of the humidity? Even the hot desert gets humidity for July/August each year. Any thoughts??

Also, How is the Air Quality in SA? Smog, heavy, light, occasional, constant? I don't want to hesitate taking the dog out on solid long walks as it would be good for both of us. As the Marines say, I may just have to "Suck it up!"

Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks to both of you for answering my Q&A on the humidity issue even as I was typing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio