Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
then they can drive up to central market and do so...i sat through meetings at the KWA and they were nothing but snobs who forgot that their "community" was mostly lower income.
try Lavaca.

We feel very strongly that this is our community. And not everyone who wants to eat organic is a wealthy snob. Just healthy. We do have a community garden, which is great, but you can't grow everything there.
One of the great things about the Southtown neighborhoods is that they're economically mixed, yet we still all want the same things for our community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 AM

72 posts, read 230,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's the nearest store to King William/Southtown, which IS a community which tends to buy hummus and organic stuff
I agree. I thought "Maybe they'll go for that KW/Southtown crowd and I will be sitting pretty with a great new HEB." However, if you look at the trade map plan for McCreless:

HEB Trade Map.jpg

You see Southtown wasn't considered. I'd been to the South Presa store, the previous "nearest store to KW/Southtown", and the selection was terrible.

If the "foodies" don't shop at the nearest store, the grocer has no incentive to stock it for them. If you rally your neighborhood to shop at HEB Plus and request specialty items, and I bet you'll see a big change in one year.
Attached Thumbnails
HEB Plus in San Antonio-What's Your Opinion?-heb-trade-map.jpg  

Last edited by Schaertl; 08-05-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,604 times
are you sure? everyone wants to bury the utilities and be forced to upgrade all their wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
try Lavaca.

We feel very strongly that this is our community. And not everyone who wants to eat organic is a wealthy snob. Just healthy. We do have a community garden, which is great, but you can't grow everything there.
One of the great things about the Southtown neighborhoods is that they're economically mixed, yet we still all want the same things for our community.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Who and when did someone come up with this "southtown" name??

Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,604 times
its the name the mexican mafia gave it in the 70's

Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I haven't heard the term "southtown" used until the last year or two. I've been here 56 years and frequented King William area!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:38 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
are you sure? everyone wants to bury the utilities and be forced to upgrade all their wiring?
Going off topic, I know, but...

If you are referring to being a historic district, nothing forces anyone to improve their properties. Unfortunately, a lot of residents are given this misinformation when areas are petitioning to become historic.

Back on topic...

I work with a couple of young people who have just recently (within the last couple of years) moved into the Highlands area. Both are somewhat disappointed with this HEB's product selection, especially the organic department. Neither are rich.

Our neighborhood has similar complaints about the HEB on Fred. Rd. (the 'Deco B'). It's a good store for most staples, but you need to go to either Central Market or Whole Foods for other items.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
Looking at that map I can't believe tha HEB thinks that all of those people to the south are going to pass up the Goliad store in favor of the Plus store that has an inferior variety. The people around 181 and 1604 would probably be better off going into Floresville. The HEB there is better than the Plus store at McCrelles.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I haven't heard the term "southtown" used until the last year or two. I've been here 56 years and frequented King William area!

Looks like it's been in use since 1991, if I'm interpreting this correctly About Southtown, San Antonio, TX (http://www.southtown.net/about/index.html - broken link)

It's certainly been in use since 2002, since that's when I moved there. KW is just one of the neighborhoods which make up Southtown.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Going off topic, I know, but...

If you are referring to being a historic district, nothing forces anyone to improve their properties. Unfortunately, a lot of residents are given this misinformation when areas are petitioning to become historic.
I'd say making people upgrade wiring would be a good thing, but you're right, there's no requirement to upgrade your property due to the historic status. There are financial incentives (and sometimes financial assistance) for doing so, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Back on topic...

I work with a couple of young people who have just recently (within the last couple of years) moved into the Highlands area. Both are somewhat disappointed with this HEB's product selection, especially the organic department. Neither are rich.
I wouldn't be so bothered with it if they hadn't made such a big deal about how it's worth closing two stores because this one will be so much better. As I said elsewhere, it has furniture. It has plenty of non-grocery stuff. To me - and honestly to everyone I've talked to who's gone there - that 'stuff' doesn't improve the store. It's not really an improvement over what was already there, and in some ways is worse (more crowds due to consolidation, more car traffic and less foot traffic- it's near impossible to walk there safely).

Again, it's not that they need to cater to every individual, it's just not an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio