Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times

Advertisements

Then there was the "Taco Hut" on Goliad and Eureka...puffy tacos most of real popular back in the 70's...

And Big Ern's at the Fina Station at Goliad and Pecan Valley...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM

61,720 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I didn't know about El Tipico when I went to Guadalupe Lumber on Rigsby last weekend. I ate my brunch across the street at Taqueria Los Dos Laredos and it was delicious. But next time I go that direction again, I will follow your all recommendation and visit El Tipico

Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I thought the one on Rigsby between WW White and 410 was actually named something else. I knew it was the same people as El Tipico's but they were a little nicer diner with a larger menu i believe. Yep, I to went to El Rancho's long ago.. Think the story was the owner of El Rancho didn't want to serve beer. It became El Tipico and things changed. Used to eat at the one on Goliad next to Floyd's pretty often. They used to have a coupon buy one plate get an equal or lesser size free. Heck of a deal... years ago. I've eaten in both locations. Loved those puffy tacos!! Quality started to go down hill or varied frequently and we quit going. In fact the last time we went they tried to pass off ketchup as salsa.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I thought the one on Rigsby between WW White and 410 was actually named something else. I knew it was the same people as El Tipico's but they were a little nicer diner with a larger menu i believe. Yep, I to went to El Rancho's long ago.. Think the story was the owner of El Rancho didn't want to serve beer. It became El Tipico and things changed. Used to eat at the one on Goliad next to Floyd's pretty often. They used to have a coupon buy one plate get an equal or lesser size free. Heck of a deal... years ago. I've eaten in both locations. Loved those puffy tacos!! Quality started to go down hill or varied frequently and we quit going. In fact the last time we went they tried to pass off ketchup as salsa.
Since I didn't know what you guys were talking about - I googled it and got the name/location between WWWhite and Rigsby. The other is on Goliad.
Now you are saying that their quality of food went down. Maybe I should go to Dos Laredos instead...

Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
I remember going to the "new" Taco Hut at Hot Wells and IH 37 after Albertson's bought the old location. The owner who's family had owned Taco Hut for years was there and I was suprised to see no drive thru at the new location. He said he specifically did not want a drive thru to maintain a restaurant feeling. I just shook my head. Well, time passed and he ended up going out of business. After sitting vacant, Dury's Gun shop bought it...

Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Since I didn't know what you guys were talking about - I googled it and got the name/location between WWWhite and Rigsby. The other is on Goliad.
Now you are saying that their quality of food went down. Maybe I should go to Dos Laredos instead...
It's been a few years since our last trip there... so maybe they got their stuff back!! Have you tried Nicha's yet?? It's on Roosevelt and White Ave. across from the Mission Drive in. Not bad!
Nicha's!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I remember going to the "new" Taco Hut at Hot Wells and IH 37 after Albertson's bought the old location. The owner who's family had owned Taco Hut for years was there and I was suprised to see no drive thru at the new location. He said he specifically did not want a drive thru to maintain a restaurant feeling. I just shook my head. Well, time passed and he ended up going out of business. After sitting vacant, Dury's Gun shop bought it...
I remember that Taco Hut....we had one over off Pleasanton Rd. south of Military Dr. also. It's a Rolando's now!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 AM

sat56: I went to El Tipico last night. It was so full that the waiting time was estimated to one hour. I didn't had that much time to kill, so I went to Dos Laredos instead and it was only so so...
My kitchen is still "under construction" and I am still eating out. Need some new places to try. South side is ok for a longer lunch but something closer would be even better ( I work at Cypress/McCullough Med. Ctr). Nothing fancy - I need to watch my wallet and... my hips

Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
sat56: I went to El Tipico last night. It was so full that the waiting time was estimated to one hour. I didn't had that much time to kill, so I went to Dos Laredos instead and it was only so so...
My kitchen is still "under construction" and I am still eating out. Need some new places to try. South side is ok for a longer lunch but something closer would be even better ( I work at Cypress/McCullough Med. Ctr). Nothing fancy - I need to watch my wallet and... my hips
I don't know, Lucy's and Luby's is about all I'm familiar with around there these day's!! Unless you haven't tried the "Cove" which didn't impress me. Not 4 or 5 years ago anyhow. Blanco Cafe used to be pretty good. Blanco near Hildebrand.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
The El Tipicos on Goliad was closed for about a year for remodeling. Their food is still very good. The smoking room in the back is now non smoking. They have a guy that plays piano at night. I still prefer the back room. I like the way that they fixed it up. I had forgotten how good those enchilades were until I was deprived of them for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio