Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:20 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,791,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Back to the issue at hand - I understand that rich people who don't speak English to you might violate your homespun sensibilities, but is it really any worse than when an obese, poorly-dressed and situationally oblivious San Antonian visits a major city on the East Coast (to say nothing of Europe)? I would argue it is less worse - these people are at least buying the luxury goods and services that keep an out-sized portion of your underemployed workforce making a living. Are they really slighting your existence or quality of life because they have a different notion of personal space, time and communication? Of all the bad things that are happening in your life - how can wealthy visitors from Northern Mexico be of note? You do realize not every culture wants to hear a Texan's life story, high school lineage, relationship with Christ or fear of the UN, right?

Major cities embrace the comaprative oddness and diversity of foreigners - you often hear that characteristic called "cosmopolitan". Minor cities retreat into BBQ, High School sports and a collective existential dread about people "not from these parts" - especially if they don't fit the preconceived stereotypes you want (wealthy people who don't speak English?). I think it is pretty clear where San Antonio falls out.
This. To the OP, you come off like what you want is for people to acknowledgement that you're there. Please keep in mind that some foreigners come from high-paced cities. It seems that the bigger the population a city has the less concerned people are about "getting on the way" or greeting people because come on, you will never get where you need to go. Here in DFW we have a considerable percentage of Mexicans as well as other nationalities and backgrounds and I will tell you that it's not a nationality trait. Hispanics, white, black, Asian, Indians all get on your way here. But that's easily solved by an "excuse me" or an "I'm sorry I was here first". No biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
But that's easily solved by an "excuse me" or an "I'm sorry I was here first". No biggie.
I see you haven't read much of this thread. Good post!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You sound a bit on the bigoted side since you specifically named the group you feel is the only group involved in this particular issue.
Amazingly enough there are many humans that do the same thing no matter what label decides to put on them.

Perhaps you should consider using a bigger bubble while in public.
s/he isnt exactly lying though. mexican nationals do have a snobby 'were better than you' attitude. without a doubt ive seen it numerous times at HEB by me.

call it bigoted or whatever, its the bloody truth

as a hispanic, i hate it because it makes the rest of us look bad.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 PM

785 posts, read 954,815 times
Sorry if I offended anyone I'm just asking common courtesy.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:43 AM

6 posts, read 7,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
s/he isnt exactly lying though. mexican nationals do have a snobby 'were better than you' attitude. without a doubt ive seen it numerous times at HEB by me.

call it bigoted or whatever, its the bloody truth

as a hispanic, i hate it because it makes the rest of us look bad.
Yes, I also have seen and don't like that type of attitude specially from people coming from the city of Monterey but by no means can be taken as a general rule. There are also a lot of other Mexican nationals that aren't snobby and blend in without trying to act they are better.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,352,875 times
So we are all bigoted, stupid, and uneducated because we do not like poop filled trash cans or rude people?

I wonder if half the people posting in thread have ever been to San Antonio during Holy Week or Christmas time.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:01 PM

950 posts, read 1,261,001 times
Hey,I work part t ime in retail at The Forum out in Live Oak. At my store, a hispanic associate who was working the fitting roomlast night complained how this family with all their relatives and kids practically took the place over, got in everyone else's way,etc. AND SHE"S HISPANIC! I've heard other associates INCLUDING HISPANICS complain what a pain in the behind they are. If they decide they don't want something,they just leave stuff everywhere. I've put away many a shopping cart loaded with stuff they decided they didn't want, etc. We aren't talking about illegals here, but the nationals who come from Mexico on vacation to San Antonio and have money to burn , the rich ones. I have met some who are very nice, and then like in all cultures you have ones that act like everything revovles around them because they have money.Met plenty of white americans the same way to.So don't put it all down to predjudice because people feel that way. When even local hispanics feel that way something is wrong with the picture.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:06 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Yes,

You are just that.
Not everyone though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
So we are all bigoted, stupid, and uneducated because we do not like poop filled trash cans or rude people?

I wonder if half the people posting in thread have ever been to San Antonio during Holy Week or Christmas time.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 PM

103 posts, read 97,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
You can ask your mexican girlfriend.

There is a saying: there is nothing worse to a mexican citizen in USA that meet another mexican.

Some mexicans when getting their US citizenship becomes iron opponent to everything that comes from Mexico.

At this moment I see much hate in USA toward mexicans and is ironic because you hate illegal poor mexicans and hate legal rich mexicans, there is no way to win with you people...
Your English is very good. Are you really a Mexicano? I'm not really sure what you mean about Mexicans being "iron opponents". It seems like the Mexicans never stop bringing more countrymen here. Its not really hate. We have observed the rich, snobby Mexicans for many years. It is always the loud people with the unruly kids who want their parents to buy them everything in sight, going to a restaurant and not being able to hear beyond the loudness of the mexican families. If Houston, Austin can offer a better shopping experience to those traveling folk, more power to them. I would not miss them.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM

424 posts, read 610,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Sorry, Bubba, but San Antonio still ranks in the bottom 10% of all major metro areas in percentage of college graduates and high school graduates (and given that your local universities are quite, shall we say, lowest quartile, that is particularly bad). A slight move in the right direction isn't changing the fact that you have brain drain issues - I've even included a more recent article, written by one of your local rags:
Sorry Bubba? So, you're that guy.

Anyway, dismissing a positive and focusing on a negative is the epitome of a straw man.

"Oh, you've lost 10% body fat? You're still obese, fatty." Yeah, you really are that guy.

Quote:
San Antonio ranks near the bottom in national brainpower study
(As an aside, the rest of the country kind of giggled at the dust storm you guys kicked up regarding Pre-K funding, but that is definitely "Puro San Antonio" and deliciously relevant)
The rest of the country cared enough about a program in San Antonio that the attention caused them to giggle? Nah, I doubt it greatly but it fits your pathetic and bias narrative.

And please, enlighten us. What dust storm? The minority anti tax folk who made a fuss, just like any other American city? You do understand pre-k for SA won big.

Again, what dust storm?

Quote:
Back to the issue at hand - I understand that rich people who don't speak English to you might violate your homespun sensibilities, but is it really any worse than when an obese, poorly-dressed and situationally oblivious San Antonian visits a major city on the East Coast (to say nothing of Europe)? I would argue it is less worse - these people are at least buying the luxury goods and services that keep an out-sized portion of your underemployed workforce making a living. Are they really slighting your existence or quality of life because they have a different notion of personal space, time and communication? Of all the bad things that are happening in your life - how can wealthy visitors from Northern Mexico be of note? You do realize not every culture wants to hear a Texan's life story, high school lineage, relationship with Christ or fear of the UN, right?

Major cities embrace the comaprative oddness and diversity of foreigners - you often hear that characteristic called "cosmopolitan". Minor cities retreat into BBQ, High School sports and a collective existential dread about people "not from these parts" - especially if they don't fit the preconceived stereotypes you want (wealthy people who don't speak English?). I think it is pretty clear where San Antonio falls out.
Oh, wow. Your subtle jabs at San Antonio were delightful. Don't quit your day job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio