Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 57,026 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Doing as much research as I can as I'm up for a promotion/transfer to SA area. One of the unfortunate considerations due to allergies etc is the stinging/biting critters in and around SA.

What is the truth on scorpions, Killer Bees, rattlesnakes and fire ants? We are looking at moving to the Boerne area and are looking for 5+ acres but I don't want to be foolish with dealing with these things. My job will have me working outdoors at least half of the time in not very populated areas. Any advice is appreicated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Just be careful. That's honestly the only advice I have. You won't run into those things, outside of fire ants everyday. With lots of land you may have the rattlesnakes, but with that large area you won't see th regularly. Scorpions are more prevelsnt on new construction homes with the land being stirred up.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Allergies?

You don't mention specifically what you are allergic to. Scorpions? Bee stings? Scorpions are out there, yes. Hill country has more of them I believe. Boerne, yes. As Ashbeeigh writes many are in new construction areas or in neighborhoods that border on wooded areas.
Rattlesnakes? Rare to encounter one. I've seen a few over the years.
Killer bees? Africanized bees are a hybrid of European bees and African Honey bees, not too prevalent but keep a wary eye out for your surroundings if you spend a lot of time out doors, just be aware, because like street smarts it can be the wisest thing to do. This hybrid species is not as aggressive as the original African Bees that were imported over to South America. They can swarm if you pass by too closely to their hive. I would not worry too much about this. Fire Ants are more prevalent. Those you must look for. Must. The mounds of these colonies are widely scattered all over the area.
Unknowingly if you are caught unawares and I have seen this, you might walk up and stop- and be standing on a fire ant mound. They will swarm up your legs and proceed to leave many stings before you figure out that you were standing on a mound. These are a legitimate worry for you. Once stung you won't forget. These are very aggressive ants.
You will be alright I feel, Yank. Carry a venom kit I would.
Whatever you do , don't fall into a cactus patch. You will be pulling thorns for a few hours. The tiny ones are very hard to see but you will feel them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSouth View Post
Hey all. Doing as much research as I can as I'm up for a promotion/transfer to SA area. One of the unfortunate considerations due to allergies etc is the stinging/biting critters in and around SA.

What is the truth on scorpions, Killer Bees, rattlesnakes and fire ants? We are looking at moving to the Boerne area and are looking for 5+ acres but I don't want to be foolish with dealing with these things. My job will have me working outdoors at least half of the time in not very populated areas. Any advice is appreicated!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
I've had 3 snakes (one poisonous Coral) in 8 years here. Tons of fire ants and bees. Mostly paper wasps and mud daubers. Couple of aggressive and quite large spiders, and a few scorpions (but not too many). Construction here is 12 years old. With acreage, you're bound to have more critters.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Allergies or not, critters should be the least of your worries in San Antonio. Worry more about drunk drivers.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:31 AM

So true...idiots.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:59 PM

21 posts, read 57,026 times
Outstanding advice from all of you!...lol I am allergic to bees and carry a nasty Epi-pen. Well I have them but up here I don't carry it too often. Down there I just might.

Thanks again, I will research on how to kill Fire ants now...lol Unless of course... ya'll (see that.. I'm learning the language) have remedies already.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:15 PM

68 posts, read 147,615 times
Amdro will take care of the fire ants...

Old 08-30-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSouth View Post
Outstanding advice from all of you!...lol I am allergic to bees and carry a nasty Epi-pen. Well I have them but up here I don't carry it too often. Down there I just might.

Thanks again, I will research on how to kill Fire ants now...lol Unless of course... ya'll (see that.. I'm learning the language) have remedies already.
You can kill them...but they always seem to make their way back. A nuisance for most of the year. Been here 8 years and still don't say "ya'll". Just say no!

Are you definitely transferring? Promotion? Or is this all preliminary?

Last edited by Pancho-Villa; 08-30-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 02:14 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Here's One,

Critters around San Antonio/South Texas-smart-phone-3.3-megapixels-123.jpg Good for fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio