Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times

Advertisements

Geez, I live 2 miles from downtown!!!

We have a raccoon that comes up on the front porch to get the cat's food and it is the size of a toddler! It also doesn't seem frightened when I go outside.. it will only run away if I let my dog see it and then she starts barking and it runs off.

Then we have seen a mama possum running across the driveway (from our house to the neighbors) and a baby up on the porch... the cats didn't bother it at all thank goodness.

I know they're after the cat food but I can't remedy that because we have one cat who will NOT come inside.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has these kinds of problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 AM

546 posts, read 3,105,528 times
Funny thing, but I JUST finished my nightly "battle" with our gang of raccoons again - a mere five minutes ago.

I live around the Hildebrand/Burr Road area (very close to downtown as well, but heavily wooded) and am having hellacious Raccon problems, and Mama Racoon is ENORMOUS!

AND she just had 5 baby racoons. Problem is, we feed several stray/feral cats (well, like eight, BUT we practice TNR, so we spay and/or neuter them to control the poulation, so I'm not one of those nutzoid cat-hoarder types.)

Anyway, these dang racoons come every night, dirty up the poor cats' water, eat their food, while the poor cats watch helplessly keeping their distance. I tried at first, upon several suggestions, to start feeding the cats in the day (Racoons never come out during dalylight hours evidently), but as cats are nocturnal, several of our "customers" who insist on dinner after 9:00PM have a tough time getting their suppers. Three of the cats have finally gotten used to the daytime schedule.

Anyway, the racoons exhibit absolutely NO fear of me (I actually learned they're in the BEAR FAMILY and will attack if their young is with them!). So, this is what I've doing: filling plastic squirt bottles with pure bleach, and spraying them in the eyes. I know, I know, it seems inhumane, but I just hate them and their pushy attitude. It seems to bother them for about 30 minutes, then back again.

I'm at wits end here. I'd like to trap them and drop them off in Elmendorf or somewhere remote, but I'm afraid Mama will go nuts if one of her kids gets trapped in the cage and go into attack mode on me as I gather up baby-in-a cage.

My neigbnor suggested I buy a high-powered pellet gun and kill them, but I don't have the heart to go to that extreme.

As for the possums, I find them almost comical, and the cats and the possums seem to get along quite well, so they're okay in my book. Pitiful looking creatures, I almost feel sorry for 'em.

Any suggestions anyone?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
I live near downtown also. Last night I was sitting by the pool and saw a HUGE owl sitting on the wires that run across the back. We stared at each other for awhile, then the owl went back to hunting. He sat there for about 20 minutes and then swooped down and came up with an opposum..at least I think it was. It was his dinner. I haven't seen him before and will watch for him to come back.
Maybe get an owl. Do they eat raccoon?
With this drought, the feral animals are getting braver to find food and or water.
I think we invaded thier territory so they should be respected. I have had opposums trapped and relocated when they got under the house and were causing problems. Other than that, I let them live and let live. Maybe a professional can trap them and relocate them for you.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,211,052 times
You can get a havahart trap. Check out their website:
Havahart® Animal Traps, Animal Repellents and Pet Supplies

Click on "animal repellents" then "racoon", they have something called critter ridder. You can probably buy it at a feedstore for much cheaper than this website but at least you can get some ideas.

Good luck~

Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 15,353 times
Roflmaooooo dude last night there was this giant raccoon atop the garbage container, it freaked the woots out of me, at first I thought it was a cat as it climbed up the container then it turned back and kept staring at me.. boooo. as long as they won't come kill me I'll leave them alone, after all we all have the same rights.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,850 times
Raccoon= very nasty when cornered.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM

546 posts, read 3,105,528 times
My problem with the repellent is that they seem to repel EVERYTHING (cats, opossums, raccoons, rats, etc.), and I don't want to run off the feral and semi-feral cats that we feed nightly (the rats are okey-dokey though).

I already have two Havahart traps for the cats to have fixed, etc, but I read that trapping raccoons in cages by non-pros can be a VERY dangerous proposition (say you catch the baby, and Mama sees this, you have a BIG problem + Mama is SO big she wouldn't fit in my trap). Raccoons can get really nasty and you really would be wise not to confront one (they can kill a human if cornered or threatened or fell that their children are in danger - I know, it seems ridiculous that a raccoon can kill a person, but it's happened before, do a Google on it).

I guess I'll have to call in an expert trapper (I've been recommended to use one local company - Five Star Wildlife & Pest). Think I'll give them a call today and see what they have to say on pricing, the process, etc.

As for that owl, I think owls are amazing creatures and all, but if the owl came by my pad and scooped up one of my feral cats, I would be utterly devastated.

And yeah, I've always gone by the live and let live ideal, but I really fear for the cats' safety regarding the (rocky) raccoons...man, those cats know a real sucker when they see one.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
No raccoons but we did have an oppossum in our old house. It had made it's way under, then widened a small hole in the floor (I didn't know the hole was there before). One morning I awoke to a loud crash in the bathroom and some scurrying. I thought it was just a rat, then I found the hole. Then after we closed it up, saw a sad little opposum sitting on the back porch staring longing at the house. We had a few around there, but I haven't seen any at this house, which is just around the corner.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
It's really tough to selectively feed critters here. We used to throw stale bread in the yard for the birds, until we figured out that the raccoons and skunks were coming into the yard to enjoy it, too!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM

29 posts, read 96,777 times
you can get these at Lockhill feed and supply on Huebner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
You can get a havahart trap. Check out their website:
Havahart® Animal Traps, Animal Repellents and Pet Supplies

Click on "animal repellents" then "racoon", they have something called critter ridder. You can probably buy it at a feedstore for much cheaper than this website but at least you can get some ideas.

Good luck~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio