Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:36 PM

206 posts, read 464,522 times

Advertisements

I work in IT for a hospital, and business casual for us isn't quite business casual for the "suits."

I typically wear a "nice" thicker colored t-shirt like the target V-necks and some colored khakis with my oxblood colored doc martins. Like a cobalt blue shirt with dark green khakis and my boots. But I sometimes have to crawl on the floor. And I am not in any kind of meetings (usually) with "suits".

HR and administration typically wear dress pants/slacks and a nice blouse with pumps or flats. "Real" business casual.

When I first started, and I was unsure, I wore black dress pants, a stretchy blouse and flats. I'd say if you're not sure, that's as casual as you should be to start with.

It was 94 degrees today by the way. And that was the cold front that came in this morning. Crisp fall weather. I'd go with a cotton short sleeve top, whatever you pick.

If it's the kind of convention where you're anonymous, I'd say boots and jeans are ok though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 04:56 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,896 times
Biz-casual is NEVER jeans, not even 'nice' ones.

As always in life, underpromise and overdeliver

Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
This outfit always does it for me.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla

Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,144 times
Would definitely err on the side of caution and risk being overdressed, versus under per previous comments. Once you start, you will be able to get a feel for the culture at the work location, and adjust accordingly.

My workplace is ridiculous...some people have no concept of business casual. Fridays are business casual days, and some males will show up with sports jerseys and jeans. Some females will show up looking like they are heading to the club, not the office.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:22 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Would definitely err on the side of caution and risk being overdressed, versus under per previous comments. Once you start, you will be able to get a feel for the culture at the work location, and adjust accordingly.

My workplace is ridiculous...some people have no concept of business casual. Fridays are business casual days, and some males will show up with sports jerseys and jeans. Some females will show up looking like they are heading to the club, not the office.
At one of my offices, jerseys and jeans is perfectible acceptable. It depends on the office culture.

The OP was coming to a meeting in SA. For that I think Over dressed vs Under dressed.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:50 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
WilGar, I have to ask what exactly are you referring to when you say "jerseys"? Did you mean polos?

To me, jerseys are what fans wear to games but I can't imagine an office allowing that except maybe on select game days.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:45 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
I think it depends a lot on the profession itself, which you'll know better than us. In town, people are quite casual, but if this is a work conference, stick to the attire for your profession.

At scientific conferences with mostly academics, jeans are the norm. My husband wears jeans and t-shirts daily. they are "nice" - not blue, not plain white shirts or thin shirts, but still casual. This was also not at all unusual when I worked in a scientific research institute. The only people who dress in slacks/collared shirts are the senior administration who typically don't do bench work. The others only dress up if there's an important meeting. So conferences are the same, regardless of where they are.

At conferences I go to, the attire depends. Scientific conferences are casual, but healthcare conferences, with more pharma and medical types tend to be a bit dressier - slacks/polo shirt attire or even suits.

So, stick with what's standard for your professional, even if you're in San Antonio.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
WilGar, I have to ask what exactly are you referring to when you say "jerseys"? Did you mean polos?

To me, jerseys are what fans wear to games but I can't imagine an office allowing that except maybe on select game days.

Yes, Spurs Jerseys over a polo or dress T-shirt. It is acceptable attire on game day or a designated Spur day.

We also allow Alma Mater college jerseys on some Fridays.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Yes, Spurs Jerseys over a polo or dress T-shirt. It is acceptable attire on game day or a designated Spur day.

We also allow Alma Mater college jerseys on some Fridays.
Ok makes sense to me. We can wear t-shirts only on Fridays in the office I work in. We used to be able to wear jeans every day until we got this retired military employee get promoted and one of the first things he did was complain about people wearing jeans due to the fact that a couple of employees were wearing those jeans with holes. The kind that people buy like that. Now we can only wear jeans on Friday as well. It is not easy working with a manager that retired from the military because there are times where we have to draw the line on rules he suggests we put in place.

As long the clothes don't make me feel hot or uncomfortable, I don't care what I am required to wear for work. jeans or khakis, Polo or t-shirt.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:53 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,732 times
One time had a work related outing where they stated that the dress code was Country Club Casual. My immediate thought was whomever came up with that term should be beaten with sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio