Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,632 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're moving to San Antonio in January. My hubby will work at Randolph base. We are looking for house, with good schools. We are looking for home range from 180K -250K. We've heard Cibolo and Schertz are good but can't find info on internet. We have seen some homes in Greenshire. Any of you know about that subdivision ? My hubby doesn't want to spend more than 35 mins to work. Is the traffic in Cibolo or Schertz good?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 02:12 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Can't speak to the school question, but Schertz and Cibolo have exploded in recent years. They've put up a LOT of new houses. Considering all the people, traffic isn't bad as a rule but IS affected all day long by trains, especially during common commute times. I drive from Seguin to Randolph (23 miles) daily on FM 78, and it takes right about 30 minutes in the morning, a few minutes more on the way home in the afternoon. Almost anything east of I-35 in Schertz/Cibolo will meet the 35 minute requirement most days.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:23 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
You should be able to find info about the area on the forum by searching for "Schertz" and "Cibolo."

Old 10-24-2015, 02:37 PM

65 posts, read 234,054 times
As stated above, those areas are really growing. I have looked at houses and rentals in those areas, and there are many nice ones in your price range. A lot of the homes are new construction, though, and there are fewer older homes for sale since it's become so popular. A friend owns a home right on the boundary of Cibolo and Schertz- 3 BR, living room, game room, formal and casual dining rooms, and she said they paid about $165000 for it. If you can't find much on Realtor.com or another real estate site, you may have to call realtors directly.

The schools in those areas are average. I have heard good things about Randolph Elementary, but I believe that is only if you live on base? The schools are ok, but a little older and I suppose it really depends on what you look for in a school to know if it's good.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
...I have heard good things about Randolph Elementary, but I believe that is only if you live on base?
They've decimated the base housing on Randolph, so I don't think that's a requirement anymore. There may be an 'affiliation' requirement.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:07 PM

20 posts, read 26,843 times
Default Housing

We live in Cibolo, and I teach for the SCUC school district and have a child in the schools. We moved here a few years ago because of the strong school district, and we haven't been disappointed.

I have a friend who is selling a home in Greenshire. Her husband is retiring from the Air Force and moving to her hometown. The house is only 15 minutes or so from Randolph. It will be available in late December.

My friend has often said she would love to move her house and neighborhood to her hometown. She loved the house and area, just missed her family.

ETA: Their child went to school at Randolph. They had to apply and be accepted, but they were reasonably happy with the school.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 PM

950 posts, read 1,260,095 times
I've lived in Schertz since 1971 .My dad was at Randolph and retired from there in 1975. I also work for the SCUC school district but not as a teacher. You can probably find plenty of houses to buy in this area. There maybe a few homes for sale in the older part of Schertz to purchase, but since I live there I really haven't seen that many. Most of the homes are in Ashley Place, Savannah Square and elsewhere. If you buy a home in Schertz or Cibolo,you can go get groceries from the commisary, Walmart and the H.E.B. grocery store on Kitty Hawk in Universal City or the H.E.B. Plus store in Schertz. Walmart is supposed to be building a store right next door to the H.E.B. store on Kitty Hawk, but there are no walls going up.They just built a new Walmart in Cibolo across from Weiderstein Elementary school. I work for the purchasing dept. and we heard the thing won't be open until January of next year.
Schertz has a big park along Cibolo Creek with a hiking trail. We also have a brand new library with various activities plus a new YMCA.People here either go to Regal Cinema Live Oak 18 in Live Oak,or drive to New Braunfels to Creek Side Theatre.
We also have Target, Lowe's and Home Depot ,TJMAXX,Hobby Lobby, in this area and also New Braunfels.
Traffic can get bad sometimes when the train goes through early in the morning,and also when there is an accident on IH35 N. They soimetimes route traffic down FM3009.
I often see on weekends a group of people that do bike rides together. Steele High School has a state championship team,.
There is also baseball teams around here too.
You might also try Zillow or Trulia for this area in regards to housing and also check out Schertz Tales on line plus both cities have Facebook pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio