Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
Storm Ninja,

IF it was ME that was looking for a GREAT used car, I would start "haunting" craigslist in TX for a W123 MERCEDES BENZ 300D built between 1982-1985.
(The sedan that you want is WELL maintained ONE-owner car out of an estate sale & that has less than 200,000 total miles.)
I noticed the OP is looking to buy locally. Is something like that pretty easy to come across in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:05 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
The 1982 to 1985 benz might be a wee bit older than what the OP desires but I could be wrong.

I have no doubt that the 300D is a great car though but I am sure the parts (if you can even find them) will be a small fortune if needed, especially any body or interior parts. The diesel engine probably will hardly need parts if maintained well.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 PM

26 posts, read 27,574 times
I own a bunch of $3k to all the way up to $100k cars.

Just make sure the title vin matches the vin on the car. Go and transfer the title asap once you buy it, within a week. Take cash with you so you can negotiate, and don't do business on the south or east side. Good luck, you will find alot of crap but a bunch of gems.

They dont care about a bill of sale as long as you have a signed title thats all that matters
If they have the title and the vin matches it shouldnt have any liens. Also car fax is ok not great, ALOT of stuff doesn't get reported.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:49 AM

80 posts, read 58,050 times
ged_782,

YES, you could likely find a NICE & well cared for 1982-85 MB 300D within 2 weeks of looking on craigslist & without going farther than 25-40 miles from downtown SA.
(I bought 2 of my current 3 sedans in SA & one in San Marcos.)

A good 300D is well worth "looking about for" in my honest opinion.

ADDENDA = A personal note. - The W126 "big body" Mercedes diesel sedan is a LUXURY car & they ARE quite expensive to keep looking "spiffy". = The W126 is as costly to maintain/repair as a Cadillac or big BMW.
(I've owned 4 of the W126 "big bodies" & can tell you that the W126 IS expensive to maintain, as they are FAR more complicated mechanically than the W123 300D. - For one thing the real leather & wooden trimmed interior of a W126 is hard to keep "looking nice" in the HOT south TX Sun, unless the car is garaged.)

Note: I'm a "glutton for punishment", as I'm currently looking for an AMG-"upgraded" 560 "S-type" turbo coupe. = The "S-coupe" gives new meaning to "EXPENSIVE" to keep up BUT that "250KPH autobahn beast" is simply GEORGIOUS & brutally FAST.
(When I find "MY 560SEC", it will be a "big boy's toy" & I'll drive it mostly for "Sunday drives"/car shows.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 05-21-2016 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: typo/grammar/addenda

Old 05-21-2016, 02:08 AM

Azure110,

Fwiw, the 300D (presuming that you buy a "well cared for" ONE-owner car, with less than 200K) SELDOM needs anything repaired. = The 300D sedans are the nearest thing that I know of to BULLETPROOF, as I said originally.
(Obviously, I cannot say whether the original poster wants a nicely cared for car that is about 3 decades old or not. - I simply LIKE mine.)

Out of curiosity, I looked this evening at how much "out of pocket maintenance expense" that I've spent on my 1983 300D in the 28 months that I've owned "Giesla". = 359.oo, including a new 98.oo battery.
(Parts are easily available at AUTOZONE, NAPA, O'REILLY's, Pep Boys & other similar auto parts stores & for no more $$$ than similar parts for a Chevy/Ford/Toyota/VW.)

IF a person can do simple "owner maintenance" like changing the oil & filters, windshield wiper blades, etc., there is LITTLE that you will need done professionally on these cars. - They really ARE just that SIMPLE, TOUGH, LONG-LIVED & those 3 years of diesel sedans are that GROSSLY "over-engineered".

just my OPINION, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 05-21-2016 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: add

Old 05-21-2016, 12:53 PM

73 posts, read 71,960 times
Thanks for the feedback. The 1980 Mercedes 300D was recommended to me except the upkeep is cumbersome I don;t know of a good mechanic and i don't feel like driving a slow boat on the highway merging in traffic etc, people drive fast here. I check. I noticed used cars here are on the pricey side since many people desire them over new due to cost etc. So far I've gone to Houston and searched locally but didn't like dealing with shady slimy salesmen. I did like the used cars at Hertz nice clean new no BS but they are $11K and up. I also checked out Ebay motors. Out of 30 used cars sales shops I checked I only found one honest used car salesman shop in Austin. I looked on CL but it's full of useless scammers. Will continue looking locally and Austin. I'm OK with a high mileage Japan car. Also the difficulty is trying to find the right car in White color.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:14 AM

StormNinja,

IF you like the idea of a diesel Mercedes at an EXCELLENT price & want a FAST car, check out the 1987 turbocharged 1987 model that's currently on craigslist for 2500.oo.
(I've owned one of those & while they ARE a little more complicated than the 1982-85 300D, they are FAIRLY EASY to do owner maintenance upon.)

I have no idea of who told you that upkeep on a MB W123 diesel is "cumbersome" but they are just DEAD WRONG. - The W123 of that era is one of the simplest cars to keep running well with a HAINES manual, a basic set of wrenches/sockets & simple owner maintenance.

Btw, the Euro-spec 1983-85 300D with 5-speed transmission is QUICK & even more bulletproof than the sedans with AT. -Their sole problem is that those who own one seldom ever sell them.

I've been trying for over a year to buy a "one owner" & always garaged 1985 German "gray-market model" with 5-speed & the "AMG performance upgrades" in maroon with leather/wood interior from a gentleman in Austin, who has "retired from driving" (due to poor eyesight), but he won't "put a price on it".

yours, satx

Last edited by satx78247; 05-22-2016 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: add

Old 05-22-2016, 09:33 AM

To ALL,

In an earlier post, I said that I was looking for a 500-series SEC "S-type" Mercedes coupe. - Odly enough, just last night (21MAY16) I found out about a 1988 AMG-modified 560SEC in black/black from a Dallas estate sale. It's the so-called "HAMMER" model.- It's one-owner with 72,000 miles & was until about 90 days ago the "pampered pet" of a prominent reconstructive surgeon.
(THE HAMMER is legitimately a 160MPH vehicle & QUITE RARE in that condition.)

The Hammer may soon be coming to SA to stay.

yours, satx

Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 AM

73 posts, read 71,960 times
HI
I hope the ''hammer'' comes home to SA and I hope to see it in person one day. I friend of mine has a 560SEC in BC but needed some clutch work he said.
Yes I see the ''1987 Mercedes 300D turbo Diesel for sale.'' unfortunately it's all the way in El Paso. I'm Ok doing regular maintenance I just don't want to pour my time and money into an old car.
I was looking into the Prius but my wife doesn't like it. Looked into Older Lexus 2004 era but they are pricey around $10K.
Found a newer 2007 Lexus GS but it has hail damage and the owner said that it showed ''Accident'' on the CarFax report due to the hail damage done at the shop. I though that hail damage is not a ''Collision'' and should not be reported as an ''Accident'' I don't want to buy a car that has been in an accident.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:21 PM

StormNinja,

IF it was me, I would RUN FROM a hail-damaged car OR one that's been in an accident.

Have you considered one of the older "off lease" or a used car from one of the larger rental car companies "program cars" from any of the larger fleet dealers?
(My cousin bought a NICE 4YO Buick Century "off lease", about 3 years ago, from a Dallas Buick dealer that had been driven by nobody but a lady who is a MD in the DFW area & my GF bought a 3YO "big" Chevy, 5 years ago, from Alamo Rental Cars that has served both of them well.)

Truthfully, I never buy "American" or "Japanese" & generally only well cared for classic Mercedes or BMW cars.
(The last "new car" that I've bought was almost 15 years ago & it was an Olds 98 that was a "demonstrator" with about 1500 miles but with a NEW car warranty.)

A Personal Note: I bid on THE HAMMER & should know by 01JUN16 if I bid enough. - IF I do get it, I'll notify you & offer you an evening QUICK run on a curvy road.

BEST WISHES, satx

Last edited by satx78247; 05-23-2016 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: clarity/grammar/add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio