Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM

52 posts, read 93,442 times

Advertisements

service mutts(dogs),

neighbors have a GIGANTIC service dog despite there being a weight limit on animals in our apt complex. law says manager cant do anything, however dog lunges at every person that does not live in that apartment.

i already complained to my manager and to animal control, as the dog is constantly outside with no leash on with owners present. due to the supposed service animal status of the mutt, landlord cannot evict based on pet size.

my question would be, is there a registry or some type of database of service mutts and someone to contact to question the validity of the service mutts owners need?

i realize not all disabilities are visible, but the person in question exhibits no physical disabilities, so im assuming its an emotional support mutt... which brings up another question:

how can a dog that acts violent towards any animal/human be considered a service mutt? since i have video surveillance of my property, ive already got proof that the mutt walks around with no leash with the owners present. apt management has that video also and said they will issue a notice to comply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
Google it?

Office of the Governor Rick Perry: Committee on People with Disabilities - Service Dogs

I've never seen a service dog lunge at someone.....the link above states that if you see someone abusing the law to report it to authorities. I think that not only support service dog owners but is an avenue to report those faking it.

Last edited by goodmanm; 04-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: added additional comments.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM

i did and pulled up that link already. im still digging around it but the most i get is a training facility. grrr. the search continues. thanks for your input though!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
The landlord can request proof from the disabled person that they are disabled and require a service dog. The proof would be a letter from their medical provider.

There's no registry where you can check if someone has a legit service dog or not. It would be an invasion of the disabled person's privacy to have a list like that available.

Hopefully the dog's owner will start keeping it on a leash, which is a reasonable request. The landlord is pretty limited in what they can do about the dog.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
San Antonio Animal Codes overview (PDF)

Quote:
All dogs must be confined to their owner's property at all times except when on a leash. Animal Care Officers have the legal authority to enter unenclosed front yards of private property to impound unrestrained animals.
I don't see any mention in there of an exception for service animals. Call 311.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
San Antonio Animal Codes overview (PDF)

I don't see any mention in there of an exception for service animals. Call 311.
thats about all i can do. LL is hoping the video/pictures i have can get the ball rolling.

apparently, 12 other people have complained as well but she cant break the law :\

Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
It seems like evicting the person is overkill here.

The best path seems to be contacting someone about making sure the dog is kept on a leash.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
It seems like evicting the person is overkill here.

The best path seems to be contacting someone about making sure the dog is kept on a leash.
agreed, but LL brought up the eviction thing. i just informed her i dont feel comfortable walking my kittehs, or even going outside, when that big dog is outside.

and to add fuel to the fire: the neighbor directly across the way from them? he has a black lab now thats pushing 60# but its not a service dog. sheesh, people....

Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM

216 posts, read 398,968 times
Unfortunately the term "service dog " gets abused. I had an acquaintance who thought he was cool because he had a letter stating the his Rottweiler was a service dog. This letter allowed him to take the animal with him where ever he went just as if it were a "seeing eye dog" and no one could say anything to him. I thought this was an abuse of the law and a disgrace to the person using it. There needs to be a stronger method to restrict people from taking advantage of this "loophole" in the law to take their pets with them where ever they go. I was at an outdoor concert the other day and some guy had a little terrier running around with a jacket on stating " service dog" I'm sorry but this is ridiculous and should be corralled before it gets totally out of hand.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,243 times
Bo's link through Texas Human Resources Code, Section 121.003(j) link:

(b) A person with a disability who uses an assistance animal for assistance in travel or auditory awareness shall keep the animal properly harnessed or leashed, and a person who is injured by the animal because of the failure of a person with a disability to properly harness or leash the animal is entitled to maintain a cause of action for damages in a court of competent
jurisdiction under the same law applicable to other causes brought for the redress of injuries caused by animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio