Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 AM

97 posts, read 151,777 times

Advertisements

so I know that the new and modern washing machines and dishwashers are the only things available now, with limited water flow during use, ? here, I was was attempting to make instant mash potatoes so you boil water for 5 min and stir in potatoes which is convenient- well taking out water from microwave there was a very noticeable white film covering the bottom of bowl and I shifted all over and it was close to slim so it tried it again but this time it was hardly noticeable but still there on top of of water-- ? here is, this white residue film that shows up in boiled water is it from not getting enough water during the use of the machine or, are we eating residue that the low flow of water in this new modern machines are generating and also is this same residue present on laundry from the low water flow form the machines on all laundry but sticks to the cloth, or could this film just be present in the water that we use and only visible on boiled water ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
The most common causes of “white film” is water hardness.
Hardness in tap water is made up primarily of two elements:
calcium and magnesium.

Also, an old water heater developing "calcium deposits” at the
bottom adds to the situation.

I have a filter attached to the water faucet, which helps some.
Also I flush the water heater with a hose once in a while.

If I want my blue jeans to come out super stiff as if they
have been starched...
I wash them & leave them out to dry on the clothes line.

Otherwise, I use liquid water softeners in the wash & dryer (tissues)
Not sure if this works 100%, but as long as they come out soft
especially my underwear, that’s fine.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 08-30-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Yep - what you're seeing is most likely calcium from the water. Heating it makes it drop out of solution. Nothing really dangerous about it. One of the reasons "sun tea" is so popular in this area - the lower water temperature doesn't make the calcium drop out, so the tea is much clearer.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
The water is fine to cook with.

For your dishwasher, use rinse aid along with your dishwasher detergent (there's a dispenser built into the dishwasher, you just fill it up every few months) or use Finish tablets instead of your usual dishwasher detergent. They really help to prevent that white film buildup on the dishes. If you have a Sam's membership, the box of Finish tablets is much cheaper there.

You can add borax to your laundry to help prevent mineral buildup. Half a cup in a regular sized load of laundry.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yep - what you're seeing is most likely calcium from the water. Heating it makes it drop out of solution. Nothing really dangerous about it. One of the reasons "sun tea" is so popular in this area - the lower water temperature doesn't make the calcium drop out, so the tea is much clearer.
Mods: Delete if out of topic!

TexasRedneck:
I was wondering if heating the water first will make for clear ice cubes just
like the ones I see in restaurants?
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The water is fine to cook with.

For your dishwasher, use rinse aid along with your dishwasher detergent (there's a dispenser built into the dishwasher, you just fill it up every few months) or use Finish tablets instead of your usual dishwasher detergent. They really help to prevent that white film buildup on the dishes. If you have a Sam's membership, the box of Finish tablets is much cheaper there.

You can add borax to your laundry to help prevent mineral buildup. Half a cup in a regular sized load of laundry.
Dear Hedgehog_Mom,
Will the borax help to keep the clothes I wash softer as well?
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Mods: Delete if out of topic!

TexasRedneck:
I was wondering if heating the water first will make for clear ice cubes just
like the ones I see in restaurants?
Thanks.
Not really - might help, but what happens is that as the water freezes, the minerals migrate into the non-frozen part of the cube, coming out of solution as they concentrate. That's why the old block ice was hollow in the center - during the freezing cycle, they'd "core" the ice - pulling the concentrated minerals from the center. Deionized or reverse osmosis water works best (but is not cost-effective, IMO).

Old 08-30-2016, 10:35 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Dear Hedgehog_Mom,
Will the borax help to keep the clothes I wash softer as well?
Thanks.
The borax softens the water and makes your detergent more effective. I don't know if it softens clothes too, because I always use liquid softener and a dryer sheet. I know using borax when you wash your towels helps prevent that musty smell that towels seem to get even when they're washed often.

About the clear ice cubes at the restaurant, most restaurants have water softeners and that's probably why the ice cubes are clear and tap water at a restaurant tastes so much better than tap water at home.

The hard water builds up on ice cube trays and makes it harder to get the cubes out. Every few months I soak my ice cube trays in vinegar to get the buildup off. Vinegar is also good for the shower head, if you notice that there's less water flow from it or that the water comes out in very sharp little sprays.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

Vinegar is also good for the shower head, if you notice that there's less water flow from it or that the water comes out in very sharp little sprays.
Thanks!
Just last week I noticed that on the bathroom sink with the water coming out in short little sprays.
Unscrewing the built in filter revealed a chalky residue buildup.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:40 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Don't make mashed potatoes in your washing machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio