U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2016, 04:18 AM
 
1 posts, read 902 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Who is your vote for the next sheriff and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,941 posts, read 33,789,917 times
Reputation: 13922
I've heard too many bad things about Sheriff Pamerleau from people who have worked with her and whose opinions I trust. Nothing I can really discuss without revealing who those people are, but enough to convince me I shouldn't vote for her.

Mostly, I suspect that the sheriff's office is underfunded and its resources are stretched to the limit. It's going to be a challenge to run it well, no matter who we elect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2016, 01:27 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,804 posts, read 4,032,425 times
Reputation: 3285
I'm for Palmerleau simply because the department seem fine given its underfunded status. If they were having the issues they are a decent budget the. I'd look elsewhere.

LEO's might think it is a slap in the face but certain positions are not really needed to be filled with on the job expirence. I have been doing my job for ten years now and while I know more than my director about day to day ops, I cannot do her job job. Yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2016, 02:15 PM
 
5,727 posts, read 6,682,954 times
Reputation: 3695
Palmerleau was given a "no confidence" vote earlier this year by the Bexar deputy sheriff's association. If she can't make most of her employees happy then I say she lacks the leadership or management skills to do the job. I know she also was not respected by all in her Air Force career either.

I don't know much about Salazar to vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,941 posts, read 33,789,917 times
Reputation: 13922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I'm for Palmerleau simply because the department seem fine given its underfunded status. If they were having the issues they are a decent budget the. I'd look elsewhere.
I think my definition of "fine" is a little different than yours.

4 suicides in less than 4 weeks: Bexar County officials confirm latest death at jail - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2016, 05:34 PM
 
642 posts, read 464,816 times
Reputation: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Palmerleau was given a "no confidence" vote earlier this year by the Bexar deputy sheriff's association. If she can't make most of her employees happy then I say she lacks the leadership or management skills to do the job. I know she also was not respected by all in her Air Force career either.

I don't know much about Salazar to vote for him.
McManus was given a no confidence vote as well. You're not going to make everybody happy when you're the boss. I expect the sheriff's background has a great deal to do with her current leadership style... and unless you've been in the military, that can take some getting used to. I worked with the general and knew her personally for many years while she was on her way up. Nobody is going to have the respect of all the troops, but I don't recall it being an issue when she was in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,804 posts, read 4,032,425 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Palmerleau was given a "no confidence" vote earlier this year by the Bexar deputy sheriff's association. If she can't make most of her employees happy then I say she lacks the leadership or management skills to do the job. I know she also was not respected by all in her Air Force career either.

I don't know much about Salazar to vote for him.
I do not care about such a small population vote. Especially after all the union antics of this last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Am I suppose to care inmates kill themselves? Even if I did unfortunately our county budget caretakers careless. If you care so much vote out the people that create the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2016, 08:10 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 6,682,954 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I do not care about such a small population vote. Especially after all the union antics of this last year.

Am I suppose to care inmates kill themselves? Even if I did unfortunately our county budget caretakers careless. If you care so much vote out the people that create the budget.
Please do share with us what accomplishments that Palmerleau has brought to Bexar Sheriff's office or in other words, why is she worthy of keeping her position other than that the department is doing "fine"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2016, 08:13 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 6,682,954 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
McManus was given a no confidence vote as well. You're not going to make everybody happy when you're the boss. I expect the sheriff's background has a great deal to do with her current leadership style... and unless you've been in the military, that can take some getting used to. I worked with the general and knew her personally for many years while she was on her way up. Nobody is going to have the respect of all the troops, but I don't recall it being an issue when she was in San Antonio.
I am not a fan of McManus either, he isn't a police chief but more of a PR pretty boy for the news cameras.

I have said it before on here, ex-military folks (not all though) can make really crappy managers outside of the military if they don't learn to adapt to civilian life. I know this from personal experience and majority in the office I worked in felt the same way.

Last edited by Azure110; 09-19-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2016, 12:45 PM
 
7,002 posts, read 10,573,618 times
Reputation: 5408
Bexar County Sheriff's employees didn't like her predecessor either. In the beginning, she did have better negotiation skills and got additional detention positions approved. There really is not much you can do with such a cheap commissioners court and cheap taxpayers. Bexar County Sheriff's employees are paid so little compared to some smaller agencies in the region, it's embarrassing.

Regardless of whether or not you care about the lives of people who usually haven't been convicted yet (many of which are in jail because they have an untreated mental health problem hence the suicides), there are jail standards that have to be met. Four suicides in less than a month is a sign of poor management that can lead to other problems. As someone who used to work in a county jail, one of the last thing corrections officers want to see is a suicide attempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top