Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:26 PM

9 posts, read 41,627 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information or insight on DR Horton's Wildhorse subdivision? Such as; safety, neighborhood amenities, schools, traffic, proximity to shopping. How does it compare to Alamo Ranch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 AM

72 posts, read 290,204 times
Wildhorse is a DR Horton community as Alamo Ranch has several builders and different pockets of neighborhoods throughout. I have a former client/friend who purchased in Wildhorse in September and she is very happy out there. They also have their own elementary school in the community. The crime rate is low to almost none existent out there, I would check some of the relocation websites for stats on the neighborhood. Shopping is right around the corner at Bandera/1604 and La Cantera Mall is less than 5 miles away. They are also widening Braun Road to ease getting in and out of the community as we speak. Good Luck!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxman View Post
Does anyone have any information or insight on DR Horton's Wildhorse subdivision? Such as; safety, neighborhood amenities, schools, traffic, proximity to shopping. How does it compare to Alamo Ranch?
We live in Wildhorse and we love it. Traffic speed is an issue, but a lot of that is the construction crews that fly through the community. As we are about 85-90% completed, that should ease up soon. There are two pools here and a big playground at one of them. There is also an elementary school (Krueger) smack dab in the middle of the community that is excellent.

Right now with the work being done on Braun getting in and out is a bit of a hassle. Once Braun is completed it will be a lot easier. We have everything (WalMart, Target, Walgreens, etc) nearby, and getting to them in 10 minutes or less is pretty easy; plus there are lots of restaurants in the area. Helotes is also a quick shot, and there are a few great restaurants (Bobby J's, el Chapparall (http://www.elchaparral.com/home.htm - broken link)) there. You can also get into the Hill Country quickly and easily. Lastly, it is no less safe than anywhere else in the NW. Not too much crime here that I know of.

It is hard to compare it with AR, there were some lots on top of the hill there that I wish we had an opportunity to buy; but given the traffic situation there that is only going to get worse when all the shopping opens up, and the fact that one day 151 will run right through it, I am happy where we are.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,625 times
Angry Not getting the service I expected from D.R. Horton (Wildhorse)

Hello all,

I purchased my home in the Wildhorse subdivision in Jan 08. I made out a list of concerns and presented them to the sales team (I gave the sales office the first list 3 weeks before closing). I was told during the inspection phase that it wouldn't make sense to fly out to SA because the issues would be taken care of before I took possession of my keys (day 1 I should have been upset because the lock on the front door was for the home across the street from me and I still haven't been presented with a copy of the inspection I requested). I was told by my sales rep that he along with my mortgage broker would ensure all was well by the time I arrived. I ended up doing a mail closing because I wouldn't be able to fly back out to SA before the proposed closing date.

It is 3 days from Apr and I'm still waiting! It has been a month since I gave another list to the sales office and no one has contacted me about anything. (I did follow-up two weeks ago and gave the office another copy of the list of concerns.) I know I'm not the only person having issues in the subdivision but some of the items on the list were MAJOR CONCERNS like locks not locking (I was told by a vendor that they had to adjust my door a few times because it wouldn't seat properly). Walls with cracks, walls that leak.....these are not cosmetic concerns! I have come to the conclusion that once the papers are signed, their business is done! I haven't received one phone call from anyone! The list was turned in within 30 days of closing. I was told everything would be taken care of by the superintendent. Twenty-nine days later, I'm still waiting!

Today, I will call the warranty department to get the items taken care of myself. For the most part, the process of purchasing my first home has been an awesome experience! Keep in mind, the professionalism shouldn't stop once the closing documents are signed....especially if you were promised that all would be well!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 50,265 times
I am looking to move to Wildhorse myself. I was thinking of building with DR in Alamo ranch in their Patriot Series or buying a spec home in wildhorse which is their Premier Series homes. I would be paying about the same amount but i would get 300 more sq ft out of the spec home in wildhorse and a much bigger lot. Will the Alamo Ranch area be that much more secure/stable to warrant getting a smaller home/lot and building in Alamo Ranch or is Wildhorse a pretty stable community?

Also does anyone know when that construction off of braun is due to be complete? Thanks in advance

Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM

90 posts, read 354,878 times
reading this thread as well....

Old 04-15-2008, 03:02 PM

I would go with Wildhorse, and I don't say that because we live there!

Here's my logic. For one, I can get in and out of my neighborhood easily. Sure, the Braun construction has made it worse; but nothing like that fiasco over on Culebra. Secondly, once the new shopping complex opens it will only get worse. If you need to get down 151 you have no direct way to get there, and if 151 ever goes across 1604 you're gonna have that running right down the middle of your neighborhood!

Wildhorse already has an elementary school smack dab in the middle of it, The Alamo Ranch school is only 23% complete at the moment and not slated to open until 2009. Wildhorse is about 90% done, they will be building in Alamo Ranch for years, especially with the slowdown in construction. Also, one builder has already bailed out of there, so who knows who will pick up the properties they were planning to build on. Lastly, I am not sure about Alamo Ranch, but Wildhorse is outside of the city limits, so no city taxes!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM

12 posts, read 50,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I would go with Wildhorse, and I don't say that because we live there!

Here's my logic. For one, I can get in and out of my neighborhood easily. Sure, the Braun construction has made it worse; but nothing like that fiasco over on Culebra. Secondly, once the new shopping complex opens it will only get worse. If you need to get down 151 you have no direct way to get there, and if 151 ever goes across 1604 you're gonna have that running right down the middle of your neighborhood!

Wildhorse already has an elementary school smack dab in the middle of it, The Alamo Ranch school is only 23% complete at the moment and not slated to open until 2009. Wildhorse is about 90% done, they will be building in Alamo Ranch for years, especially with the slowdown in construction. Also, one builder has already bailed out of there, so who knows who will pick up the properties they were planning to build on. Lastly, I am not sure about Alamo Ranch, but Wildhorse is outside of the city limits, so no city taxes!

Cheers! M2
thanks for your input. i am leaning towards wildhorse also

during morning rush hour is it quicker to get to 1-10 going braun to 1604, or is it faster going braun to hwy 1560 to bandera then 1604?? trying to plan work routes....

Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 38,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkan21 View Post
thanks for your input. i am leaning towards wildhorse also

during morning rush hour is it quicker to get to 1-10 going braun to 1604, or is it faster going braun to hwy 1560 to bandera then 1604?? trying to plan work routes....
I live in Wildhorse and travel that way to work also. The traffic isn't too bad either way depending on what time you leave. If you plan to leave later than 6:30am, you will probably find 1560 to Bandera to be a better choice. I have seen traffic backed up from the light at Braun/1604 past the entrance of our neighborhood. Once Braun is complete, it will be very easy to get to 1604 (projected march '09). Right now, I leave at 6:25am, take Braun to 1604, and get to 410/Starcrest by 6:55 - not a bad commute for D.C. transplants and we really like the neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Yep, prior to 6:30 you probably will be OK to take Braun to 1604. Like I said, I leave an hour before that, and I have no problem whatsoever. On my way home, I will usually turn at Shaenfield and cut over on Wildhorse Parkway. Just be careful with the school zone at Ward/Jefferson, just saw the NISD Police out there today pulling people over, which they deserve as people fly through that 25 MPH school zone!

I used to go up Culebra, but with all the construction I no longer go that way to 1560; which is too bad as I miss all the funny sayings on the MD Automotive sign!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio