Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 PM

952 posts, read 2,637,031 times

Advertisements

Not sure how to word this exactly, but for San Antonio what's it like to have veterans preference for jobs; more so specifically in the I.T field?

Do veterans application get straight to the top of the list over those with a degree/some years of experience/certs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 04:35 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,122,423 times
You see it all over town, even non-government jobs. Puts us civies at a disadvantage all over.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,372,137 times
The only areas with a formalized Veterans preference would be government jobs. You can normally find information on how Veterans preference for Federal jobs works on USA Jobs.

For other fields, there are some definite advantages for hiring Veterans, even if there is no formalized preference system in place. For the IT jobs mentioned, one of the largest advantages to hiring Vets would be security clearances. Many Vets separate from the military with current security clearances, and/or the associated background investigations. For contracting companies providing contracting support to the military or other government agencies requiring security clearances, this saves massive amounts of money. The time/effort/cost of getting a clearance for an employee that has never had one is considerable when compared to someone already in possession of a clearance.

There are other perceived benefits many employers find attractive. Most former military members are disciplined, work well as part of a team, do well in decentralized organizational structures, have lower incidents of drug use, are less prone to absenteeism, etc.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,721,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
You see it all over town, even non-government jobs. Puts us civies at a disadvantage all over.
Part of what I disliked about San Antonio. I'm glad i don't have to deal with that anymore.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,791,397 times
Quote:
Yep.....I don't know about IT jobs in particular....but I am in total agreement with you here based on what I have experienced and seen in other places I worked at in the past.

Although in my current line of work when I started 10 years ago, there were people responsible for hiring that thought the same but fortunately not anymore after we realized there is no added benefit for us to hire ex military over "civies" so now I feel all job applicants get a fair shot.

Last edited by Azure110; 10-04-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 09:51 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,056,145 times
Quote:
Hmmm...not really. I am a retired veteran and jobs in my military career field are manned 60% by "civies". Federal Service jobs that is. I have been trying to get "in the system" for years and my experience, education (multiple degrees and certs), and background bears no weight to the federal hiring process. Just like they say, it is not what you know but WHO you know! It makes me sick to my stomach when I visit certain federal service offices and see the competency (or lack thereof) of the workers there.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:13 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,396,501 times
Default Last Statement,

The ending sentence of this post speaks very loudly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Hmmm...not really. I am a retired veteran and jobs in my military career field are manned 60% by "civies". Federal Service jobs that is. I have been trying to get "in the system" for years and my experience, education (multiple degrees and certs), and background bears no weight to the federal hiring process. Just like they say, it is not what you know but WHO you know! It makes me sick to my stomach when I visit certain federal service offices and see the competency (or lack thereof) of the workers there.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,451 times
As someone who has been applying for several jobs in recent days, I've found the whole veterans preference thing a little frustrating. I can totally understand preference/priority being given to disabled veterans and the recently discharged, but as a veteran who spent 4 years on active duty in peacetime in the late 1980s, it's a little frustrating to be competing against "wartime" veterans who never deployed or even left the States. Every person who served on active duty since August 2nd, 1990, is considered a "protected" wartime veteran, even though many of them never deployed.

I filled out an application the other day and these were my choices:

[ ] I am not a veteran.
[ ] I am a recently (3 years or less) discharged veteran.
[ ] I am a disabled veteran.
[ ] I am a wartime veteran.
[ ] I choose not to self-identify.

I had to choose one and the only one which wasn't an outright lie was the last one, so that's what I chose. It felt like a politically correct bit of nonsense and I wondered if it would hurt my chances of getting the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: