Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 27,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Let's all bow our heads for the late great Henry Guera....& the 13 days of the Alamo.
Amen.

Henry Guerra was awesome.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 AM

9 posts, read 27,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
Anyone remember when Joe Fowler did the sports news? I remember my dad watching him when I was in 4th or 5th grade. I think he used to do his "Booo!" thing. lol
I do. I also remember when he was involved in the big WWPB (We Want Pro Ball) campaign to bring Pro Football to SA.

Last time I saw him he was doing infomercials.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 31,700 times
Default Gramma's Tea House. The Mind's Eye on Austin Hwy.

Anyone out there have any photos of these places from the late 1960s? I'm sure there were a lot taken by telephoto lenses.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Yessir Mr Olds.

Thanks for the reminder on the hearse. I had forgotten about that.
That was Charles. Went to his funeral almost a year ago now.
Boogie was there.

Some fantastic history died with Charles.
Not only his own history, but he did get around, and he remembered it all.

He was Doug Sahm's manager before Huey Meaux (I think it was) took over.

He worked with and hung out with Lynn Ford.
Was married to O'Neil Ford's daughter.

I'm trying to remember the name of the author he sued
over a misleading article about him in Rolling Stone magazine.

I could go on for quite awhile about Charles.
He is much missed by a large number of folks.

The Balcones Hts cops probably didn't miss him.
He had some great stories about his encounters with them.

mud
Well, since Charles can't speak up anymore, let me make a few corrections concerning him driving a 'hearse.'
The 1947 Cadillac limousine Charles drove was not a hearse as reported in an earlier post. He bought it from an old wealthy oil promoter named Speedy Cheneworth (sp?) who lived downtown in a plush hotel. It had been stored in the hotel parking garage for many years and was in very cherry condition when Charles got it around 1960 (?). The interior was beautiful dark wood and chrome with top of the line upholstery. Had two seats that could be pulled out from the back of the front seat. Had a chrome & wooden foot rail that also folded out.
There was enough room for two kegs with the seats folded away. He would park it on the last row of the drive-in movie choosen that weekend night and all the surrounding cars from our 'crowd' would use it as a concession stand.
He drove it out to California when they sold the house in Balcones Heights. He eventually sold the car out in Carmel, California.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 PM

181 posts, read 642,979 times
I only thought of Joe Fowler because the other day I was watching Cobra, and forgot that he was one of the reporters.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Thanks for the correction DeSoto. I thought I remembered hearse.
Maybe a different vehicle.

Here are a couple pix of Charles and Cindy and Myself,
from 2002, posing in my studio.

mud.....

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5729/123102winans0009charlesfv1.jpg (broken link)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9518/122702winans0009charlesun8.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Desoto View Post
Well, since Charles can't speak up anymore, let me make a few corrections concerning him driving a 'hearse.'
The 1947 Cadillac limousine Charles drove was not a hearse as reported in an earlier post. He bought it from an old wealthy oil promoter named Speedy Cheneworth (sp?) who lived downtown in a plush hotel. It had been stored in the hotel parking garage for many years and was in very cherry condition when Charles got it around 1960 (?). The interior was beautiful dark wood and chrome with top of the line upholstery. Had two seats that could be pulled out from the back of the front seat. Had a chrome & wooden foot rail that also folded out.
There was enough room for two kegs with the seats folded away. He would park it on the last row of the drive-in movie choosen that weekend night and all the surrounding cars from our 'crowd' would use it as a concession stand.
He drove it out to California when they sold the house in Balcones Heights. He eventually sold the car out in Carmel, California.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Anyone remember a local group called "The Chains"? How about "Bee's Make Honey"?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 AM

92 posts, read 303,494 times
56 Desoto- thanks for the correct info on the cadillac limo. A very long black shiny car gave the buzz in the neighborhood and the mindset of a hearse.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Thanks for the correction DeSoto. I thought I remembered hearse.
Maybe a different vehicle.

Here are a couple pix of Charles and Cindy and Myself,
from 2002, posing in my studio.

mud.....

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5729/123102winans0009charlesfv1.jpg (broken link)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9518/122702winans0009charlesun8.jpg (broken link)
Wowie Zowie...El Wino & Aunt Bea in the pixal-digital-illusion of flesh.
Thanks Senor Mud for sharing your historical visual flashback-pics. You are a good man, no doubt, if Bubba-Chazz a.k.a. El Wino & Cindy are your amigos.
Cool studio, Man! Are you the sculptor who created these designs? Is that your work in the back? Words like, impressive and beautiful do not say enough, sir. Where can examples be viewed in the third-dimension? Or is that a blog-sin? I be new at this blog stuff and may not show proper blogg-Ed-A-Cutt. Please forgive me my blogging blunders and wordiness.
I have found it very difficult to accept the finality of Charles' physical death. But his audacious/sarcastic/biting/ slicing/dicing artistic Texican-American spirit will never die...and his party will go on forever.
Later Bro-Mud.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Anyone remember a local group called "The Chains"? How about "Bee's Make Honey"?
There was a band that used to play concerts at Sunken Gardens (1969)called, "The Chaynes". Could be the same one. Think Dale Watson played in this band (he was later a local disc jockey). They also played gigs out on Austin Highway at The Mind's Eye. This happen'in place was started by Ben Tryber (sp?) and Steve Perron. Ben was killed in a boating accident circa 1966. Steve wrote the song "Francene" (sp?) that put ZZ Top on the charts.
Do remember the night Billy Gibbons of Houston, Texas' "The Moving Sidewalk" (later ZZ Top) came down for a visit . A real Texas blow-out party.
We ended up down at the PussyKat Club I think??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio