Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 30,239 times

Advertisements

Used to hang out at the preserves every Sunday afternoon. It seemed like the place to be for all rockers-coool!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,370,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
wCat, no problem, I was able to figure that out early on. Looks like the Wishing Well Manor only lasted about a year. It was opened in late 1946 but was closed by early 1948. There is not much history on G. A. Ball, other than a small article stating he had come to San Antonio from somewhere else and loved it here, and decided to open up the Wishing Well Manor. He ran the restaurant but did not own the building. In the real estaste section of the 1948 papers, I found several listings for a house that was formerly known as the Wishing Well Manor. The ads said that the property "must sell" and they were asking $35,000. Remember, this was a large property that contained the main house, a barn (used for dancing) and several guest houses.

So, end of story for the Wishing Well Manor, right? Not so much. The advertising used to sell the house noted the owner as a Mrs. Jack Cones/Cones Studio. Now this was a name with some significant history attached to it.

Jack Cones came to San Antonio in 1890. I think he came from the east coast, but can confirm that later. What is known for sure about him is that he arrived in a top hat, fancy coat, and frilly "high-brow" clothes. This was not the normal mode of dress in SA at the time and he got a lot of ribbing for it. Cones wanted to be a photographer and applied with the already established Barr Photography Studios. Barr, the owner, told Cones in his first interview something like "I think you'll do alright, but you have to get rid of the clothes."

Cones did just that and rose quickly in the fledgling photography industry at the time, opening up a studio on Navaro street and later at 3125 Broadway. He recieved numerous national awards and was a recognized leader in the photography industry not just in SA, but in America at the time. He built the house and other buildings on Nacodgoches sometime in the first 2 decades of the 1900's ( I think it was in the 1920's since that's when newspaper articles start mentioning it), but later built another residence outside the city on Bulverde road that in the few faded newspaper photos I could find looked an aweful like the first one, all stucco and spanish tile.

He died around 1942, but his wife and son continued his tradition. His wife recieved as many national accolades as he did, and wound up listed in "Who's Who in American Photography" in 1943. Her son Jack continued the tradition and was running the studio at least through 1963, which is the last article I saw for him, but I really didn't look that hard.

In a nod to the sexism of the day, in 1947 Mrs. Cones was awarded Honarary Life Membership to the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, the first such woman in the nation thought to do so at the time. However, she was not actually given a membership card which was reserved to men, but was given a specially made lapel pin at the time.

Now the good stuff. The original home and former Wishing Well Manor are still there on Nacogdoches. Just inside the loop, on the left hand side you can see it. It's fronted by an obviously ancient low limestone wall, and screened a bit from the road by tall greenery (most planted by Bexar County, as declared by a plaque on one of the driveways). You can drive along one side of it and see the main building, the barn, the guest houses, and this very mysterious three-story tower structure which looks like a building used to support a windmill, but with no windmill. It's all one big private residence now.
Fabulous research GW! And yes, Cones photography was a huge legacy in San Antonio. I've seen countless portraits from the mid century era that have that famous angular "Cones" sig stamped in the corner! Great information about Mrs Cones.

Can you DM me with the exact location of this house? I'm in that area a lot and drove down Nac on Saturday. I think I know which house you're referring to, but it's still a private residence, right? How did you drive along it without going on the property?

Re: the three story tower.... Not having seen it, I'm not sure if this is what it could be....but considering the location and age of the house, it may have actually been a private water tower/tank. I've seen them around town near large residences that were built outside the city limits at the time. It may not have had an actual windmill, but sort of a pump house and tank to store water at higher elevations. I think there are some of the older homes over near 9 mile hill off Fred road that still have them. The wishing well manor is in the "heights" and definitely was above the "spring" level re: the well and pump! Makes sense! I love when all this info falls together.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,765 times
I was remembering a place on the way into downtown on I-10 just past Wonderland....where that new hospital is. I think it was Dennys very long time ago...but for the longest time in the early 90s...it was a place called Rajas...which had red pepper logo. Anyone remember that? It was an old school style dennis..similar to this one in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-dennys2.jpg  

Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM

GW....never mind! I took a detour today and looked a little closer at that house. The shrubs and trees have been cut back along that street and I was amazed at house far back that lot went back. And what is up with the log cabin? Definitely a diamond in the rough as far as property....and I'm sure they know it. Waaaay in the back, it appears that there was a windmill that is now on it's side. Obviously they've moved up to the 21 century!...but it's hard to tell from the outside.

Interesting history and I'm so glad that something is being preserved. Does that house look two story to you??? I may need to take another look without looking like I'm casing their property.

Thanks again for the research. It's neat to know that it belonged to the Cones.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 51,153 times
Quote:
Many of us remember and probably lament the existance of Lyndy's on Fredericksburg. it was a great little bar that lasted for such a long time. For those who remember this place, this is for you (gotta love the fern bar):
I miss Lyndy's quite a bit. It was my stomping grounds back in the late 80's and early 90's!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
GW....never mind! I took a detour today and looked a little closer at that house. The shrubs and trees have been cut back along that street and I was amazed at house far back that lot went back. And what is up with the log cabin? Definitely a diamond in the rough as far as property....and I'm sure they know it. Waaaay in the back, it appears that there was a windmill that is now on it's side. Obviously they've moved up to the 21 century!...but it's hard to tell from the outside.

Interesting history and I'm so glad that something is being preserved. Does that house look two story to you??? I may need to take another look without looking like I'm casing their property.

Thanks again for the research. It's neat to know that it belonged to the Cones.
I am amazed at the price. 1948 all that land and buildings sold for $35,000. According to zillow.com, its valued at $901,000, which I think is actually low for that place.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I am amazed at the price. 1948 all that land and buildings sold for $35,000. According to zillow.com, its valued at $901,000, which I think is actually low for that place.
Hindsight is so painful! That's why I never look back! My guess is that value applies more to the land than the improvements.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Hindsight is so painful! That's why I never look back! My guess is that value applies more to the land than the improvements.
My thought, too. The house I'm sure is nice, but you could divide up that property into anywhere from 6 to 10 home parcels, with decent acerage, and make a killing. Way more than $900K. I hope the family that lives there eventually gets this place on the National Registry of Historic Homes.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,315 times
GWhopper, broke the camera...

You're toast!!!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 AM

237 posts, read 851,514 times
Thanks Wolfman, he was indeed referring to the Lions Southside Park off Pecan Valley and I knew it well once upon a time. We did do some fishing in the little lake there but sometimes had more luck putting a line in Salado Creek that borders the park. Another memory that comes to mind for that park was when a high school buddy blew both hands off there with a small homemade pipe bomb that detonated before he could throw it in the water. Sad but true story and the gentleman went on to have a fairly successful life as a family man and school teacher I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio