Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,042 times

Advertisements

A question for everyone out there, where the Melting pot is now what used to be there?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 27,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld001 View Post
Do you remember...

Fox Theatre - across the street from Central Park Mall? Saw 'The Legend Of Boggy Creek' in the 70's

Before they refurbed North Star Mall, I remembered they had a General Cinema there. It had two screens (I think). Last movie I saw there was in the early 80's. McCreless Mall had GC also. Same setup. CineMark replaced the General Cinema when McC remodled in the late 80's. Now it's gone along with the mall.

"Rollercade" (I think) off Loop 410, "Shenandoah Skating Rink" - the Collonade area.

"BEST" Retail Stores - various locations

Shakey's Pizza on Goliad Road

'WHITE'S" - auto parts store, Western Auto took over in the early 80's, it's been 'Heavyweights' Gym for a long time now.

Shopper's World, Woolco,Gibson's Discount Store, Spartan, Gold Star StampRedemption Center (Military Drive), Globe Stores.
Ah, pre-Wal-Mart!

Loop 13 Drive In on Military Dr. (You plainly see it looming as you travelled on IH 35...also Valley-Hi Drive In, the Drive In that was right off Dietrich Road

Playland Park

'Ben Franklin Variety Store' - like Winns 5 & Dime. The one I remember was on the access road (paralell to Hwy. 90. I want to say the strip mall was called Marbach Plaza, but I'm not sure on that one.

Anyone remember Ray Ellison Drive (not the 'new' one built in 1976) went right into Lackland AFB?

Valley-Hi Mall - It's heyday was in the late 60's and early 70's. When Ingram Park Mall was built, then Valley-Hi started downwards.The building itself survived until the early 90's with only HEB, Eckerd's and Winn's inside. It was sad to see all the 'tagging' outside, and the backend of the mall was blocked off.
Eventually, the mall was demolished - leaving only HEB. It's since been remodeled, but they basically used the original building.

Valley-Hi Swimming Pool - It was the place to go in the early mid 70's. They had a wading pool, the main pool, and the diving pool. There was always a muddy wet when you waited at the consession stand. I don't when it taken out, but you can tell about where it was by the straight line of palm trees. The pool was right next to Valley-Hi Park. (parents always warned us about the hippies there)

Mr. M's convence store - off Medina Base Road.

Burger Chef - on the corner of E.Southcross & S. New Braunfels.

First Mate - on the corner of Goliad Rd. & Pecan Valley. They were all over town in the mid 70's. Long after they closed down, the red arrow 'Enter Here Mate' sign still stood, although the ship shapped restaurant was gone.

Winn's 5 & 10 - various locations...

ld001

Great list!

I remember the Burger Chef on Marbach and 90. I also went to Orange Goose Day Care in that area as well.

First Mate on Vance Jackson...Grant Street Pizza and Sonic are there now.

Sizzler at Vance Jackson and 410...Tom's Ribs is there.

Mr. M's and Lone Star's everywhere

Speaking of Boggy Creek...I saw that at the El Capitan drive in over by LAFB.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 AM

9 posts, read 27,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclor85 View Post
I remember wanting more than one slice of bread... it was so warm and fresh. It's funny, I think I still have a ruler somewhere...
And the book covers we got at school with Butter Krust and Diamond Shamrock.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 PM

284 posts, read 1,087,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
It was called Super slide and it is discussed way back in this thread (I would say between pages (100 and 200). From what the board put together a kid hide behind the caged off water return area in the hopes of "cutting in line" to go on the ride again sooner... Super slide had some sort of wrist band system to determine who goes in line first, and this poor kid died trying to beat the system.
I will see if I can find an article on it.
I guess no other info has been found on this. The rumor at the time in my neighborhood was that it was one of the boys in the Hayden family, who had a bunch of red-headed kids. I thought it happened at Waterpark USA/Splashtown. But, who knows, it could have been a neighborhood urban legend!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samikeyp View Post
Great list!

I remember the Burger Chef on Marbach and 90. I also went to Orange Goose Day Care in that area as well.

First Mate on Vance Jackson...Grant Street Pizza and Sonic are there now.

Sizzler at Vance Jackson and 410...Tom's Ribs is there.

Mr. M's and Lone Star's everywhere

Speaking of Boggy Creek...I saw that at the El Capitan drive in over by LAFB.
First Mate on Vance Jackson?......was this there before the Kentucky Fried Chicken that became Grant street Pizza?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:50 PM

22 posts, read 83,499 times
Default Waterpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Where exactly was that waterpark were the kid drowned? What is there today?
I remember seeing it across the street from Maggies on North San pedro. Magggies wow a whole nother great place. Awesome pizza, chicken fried steak, nachos, shrimp and 101 Bacardi drinks. The slides were, I believe back behind the area were the Chili's used to be. By the way one of my closest friends growing up and to this day is a Will from SA.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 83,499 times
Default Splashtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
I guess no other info has been found on this. The rumor at the time in my neighborhood was that it was one of the boys in the Hayden family, who had a bunch of red-headed kids. I thought it happened at Waterpark USA/Splashtown. But, who knows, it could have been a neighborhood urban legend!
Yes, I think hayden was his name. I am positive Splashtown came around after 84 or I would have been a regular.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
Default Spotted Horse Info

Spotted Horse Info
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-spotted-horse2.jpg  

Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 PM

91 posts, read 323,638 times
Default Super Slide, etc.

The old Super Slide was off of Gulfdale near Isom Rd and 281. There is absolutely no trace of it left today. The 281/San Pedro interchange was built around the time of this accident and *may* have taken part of that plot of land. FirstMark Credit Union and the Association of General Contractors buildings are roughly across the street from where Super Slide was.

The First Mate at Vance Jackson and 410 was where Sonic is today. Grant St. Pizza is where KFC used to be; note the overhead sign in the basic shape of the KFC bucket.

Mr. M Food Stores - bought bunches and bunches of Wacky Packages there way back when. I actually miss those old stores like Mr. M, U-Tote-M and Stop-N-Go. There was one across from my elementary school called EZ-1 but I can't find anything about them.

Macgrad89

Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 AM

24 posts, read 92,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
The old Super Slide was off of Gulfdale near Isom Rd and 281. There is absolutely no trace of it left today. The 281/San Pedro interchange was built around the time of this accident and *may* have taken part of that plot of land. FirstMark Credit Union and the Association of General Contractors buildings are roughly across the street from where Super Slide was.

The First Mate at Vance Jackson and 410 was where Sonic is today. Grant St. Pizza is where KFC used to be; note the overhead sign in the basic shape of the KFC bucket.

Mr. M Food Stores - bought bunches and bunches of Wacky Packages there way back when. I actually miss those old stores like Mr. M, U-Tote-M and Stop-N-Go. There was one across from my elementary school called EZ-1 but I can't find anything about them.

Macgrad89
We used to hang out at the Mr M's on the corner of Blanco and Jackson Keller before school during my Nimitz days ('70 - '72). Does anyone know what the "M" stood for. Who was Mr. M? Also, there was a little store on the corner of Blanco an Dresden that was packed with a bunch of us kids from Nimitz buying candy after school. It was so crowded that they had someone standing at the front door and he would only let in five or six at a time. Anyone remember what that store was called at the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio