Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 AM

55 posts, read 137,957 times

Advertisements

The old Southern Pacific railroad tracks which ran parallel to S. Presa had a small wooden bridge in that area. We would scrounge pennies and lay them on the track and wait for a train to come by. It was terrifying to feel the rumble of that train as it approached the bridge with us right under it, horns a blaring..... afterwards, we would locate our pennies which had all been squashed so flat they were the size of silver dollars. Neat and exciting stuff for kids around ten years old. My mother would have had a fit if she had known where we occasionally sneaked off to.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 AM

I was a cop in San Antonio for 33 years. I knew Rocky Rhodes who was the "reporter" on the old "So You Want To Be A Cop" radio program. He had the old reel to reel tapes in his garage of all those all shows. I begged him to bring them to the station so we could hear them, and to try to preserve them. He never did, and has long since died. I am sure some heir threw the whole bunch of fragile tapes out with the trash. Gone but not forgotten.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 AM

Correction... Rocky was not the reporter, he was the sound technician who lugged the recorder and the huge batteries with the reporter. Rocky worked in our radio shop for many, many years. He was a quiet and polite fellow. Seemingly out of place in the environs he chose to work in. I barely remember those episodes done live... but my family used to gather round the radio to hear it all.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 AM

9 posts, read 33,630 times
Post The Teen Canteen

Anyone remember the Teen Canteen? We used to frequent this little spot in the early 70s. You could bring in a six-pack of beer if you paid a cover of 0.50 cents (I think.) How they got away with it, I can't say, but it was a fun spot. The shine wore off when they changed the legal drinking age to 18. One night the police raided it because of a brawl, so I took the opportunity to rescue and wisk into my car, one of the participants' girlfriend.......after that, she was my girl during our Junior and Senior years in High School.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
Default Ackumpucky's??

Anybody remember or have any info about a fuddrucker's-type hamburger joint in that strip mall at Perrin-Beitel and Naco-Perrin? Next to where sneakers? used to be?

Would be early 1980's. I think it was called Ackumpucky's? Good burgers, though.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM

141 posts, read 508,604 times
Default oldie but goodie from Google and Youtube

i saw this on Google and got a kick out of the mix of local and national ads from the early 80's...i want to say more specifically 1980? either way it has plenty of other trips down memory lane...

YouTube - Commercials 1980 San Antonio KENS TV

Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Man, I just remembered one place that is Gone but Not Forgotten from the late 80's:

Does anybody Remember Luther's Bar-Be-Que???

There was one by Windsor I think near where the last remaining Shoney's is now? I think there was one other location somewhere else.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:41 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Check out Business ads thread for a number of interesting photos including Jefferson Village, Joske's, Buddy's Drive in, Casa Rio, Earl Abel's from 1960 annual.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 AM

9 posts, read 39,555 times
Default Lovin' it!

I JUST found this forum and have been having a blast reading the posts on this thread. Some of things I had forgotten about but found myself nodding my head saying "YES!" to myself as the memories started flooding back.

A lot of people have gone to some hard work and done a lot of research, that's for sure!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 39,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Check out Business ads thread for a number of interesting photos including Jefferson Village, Joske's, Buddy's Drive in, Casa Rio, Earl Abel's from 1960 annual.
Oh man....Jefferson Village! I grew up in the Jefferson Terrace area and use to ride my bike up to Winn's in JV on allowance day. I remember when you didn't have to go any further than JV....Piggly Wiggly for your groceries...Jefferson Juvenile for kids clothes...Vee's to get your hair done (my ex mother-in-law still gets her hair done there!)....Naomi's Gift Shoppe...The Sample Shop...Osborne's Meat Market and who can forget Sommer's Drug Store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio