Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 01:05 PM

35 posts, read 111,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear-here View Post
MA Mayfair , WA Walnut , ED Edison, GE General, LE Lehigh, DI Diamond

These are some that I remember.
The Lehign exchange when I was at Robert B. Green elementary school a hundred years ago was designated " L" our number was L37052 seems phone numbers is something I remember very well.
I also would mention the Highland Theatre which was located on Hackberry St just where Rigsby begins. It was directly across the street so you could drive it the front doore if you kept driving west on Rigsby St. We went every Saturday morning for 25 cents, I think, to watch Ramar Of The Jungle, Flash Gordon or Tarzan(Johnny Weismuller), and lots of other great old shows. Always had those 15 minute serials to keep us coming back to see if the hero survived.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM

163 posts, read 546,352 times
**craves bacon cheeseburger from GW Jrs**

Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,297 times
Merryg..thanks for the picture.He remind's me of my Grandfather who died in 1978. He worked at Staffels ..They sold feed and grain and stuff and I remember the calenders. My grandfather used to take me and my sister to Poth to catch fish on the San Antonio river. We always came home with a bunch of catfish..They kinda tasted like the San Antonio river too!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,433 times
Still looking for some history related to the lot on ingram road beside Pizza Hut. A church will soon be built there on the hill.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post

My Dad's family owned a tire/mechanic shop called Central Tire.
They moved their location several times,
but the main one which I have fond memories of was off of Martin by Travis Bank.

Anyone know of what I'm talking about?

Keep those memories and pictures coming!
I wish I was back home because my Mom has TONS of old pics from dowtown and her days at Fox Tech.
She graduated in the 50's.

Merry, can't wait to see some more of your pix.

Central Tire is on North Flores now.

I've known the owner, Jimmy M*****, since about 1980.
He's a good guy.

I believe that I have seen some old old photos of the Alamo,
and Central Tire is in the picture.

If you drive by the old Martin Street location,
you can still see Central Tire's sign on the building.
It has been painted over, but you can make it out.

mud

Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM

23 posts, read 68,123 times
Jimmy is my Uncle! My Dad is his brother. I grew up in "the shop" as we used to call it!!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post

Jimmy is my Uncle! My Dad is his brother.

I grew up in "the shop" as we used to call it!!

Merry, I have been looking for a photo of Central Tire by the Alamo,
but I cannot find one....... Yet.

I looked in the 1930 SATx phone directory,
and Central "Tire" is listed as Central "Vulcanizing",

103 W. Martin.

hmmmnhh............ "Martin" Street.

Tell Uncle Jimmy hello for me when you talk to him.
Haven't seen him in 5-6 years.

mud

Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 AM

92 posts, read 303,513 times
Merryg- that is a great picture of your grandfather and his produce truck with the shade cover. I remember in 1955 my dad would take us to the El mercado for fruit and veggies. The smell of the market was beautiful and intoxicating.
The "new" mercado is like a tourist trap and sucks.
My dad would buy a whole stalk of bananas or a bushel basket of cantaloupe or sacks of oranges etc. He would hang the bananas on the patio and all the neighborhood kids could eat all they wanted. The cantaloupe were halved and piled full of ice cream (Melorine), the almost ediable ice cream.
Ah what great memories. I look forward to more pictures.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,146 times
Rizners Drive Inn. Yummy!!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 PM

35 posts, read 111,743 times
Default 49 Olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 Olds View Post
Merryg- that is a great picture of your grandfather and his produce truck with the shade cover. I remember in 1955 my dad would take us to the El mercado for fruit and veggies. The smell of the market was beautiful and intoxicating.
The "new" mercado is like a tourist trap and sucks.
My dad would buy a whole stalk of bananas or a bushel basket of cantaloupe or sacks of oranges etc. He would hang the bananas on the patio and all the neighborhood kids could eat all they wanted. The cantaloupe were halved and piled full of ice cream (Melorine), the almost ediable ice cream.
Ah what great memories. I look forward to more pictures.
I remember going to the market in the 50's with my grandfather where he would load his stake bed truck with produce and haul it to New Orleans shere he would sell the produce and buy a return load of seafood to bring back to San Antonio to sell in his fish market which was located on E. Commerce just east of the Southern Pacific passenger station. The building is still there and the way I remember it is there saw a wall of black and white ceramic tiles under the glass front. There were 55 gal.drums of dried shrimp and oysters in the shell iced down and fresh fish. He would have to hurry back here to keep ice on all the seafood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio