Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post

Alice and Napoleon's daughter married a man named Grover Cleveland Crandell who in turn donated some of the land to what is now Oak Hills Baptist church. Inside the Summit at Colonies North, there is a street called Igo drive. Now this part is interesting: When the children of Alice Taylor decided to sell the property for development , the children stipulated in the sales contract that a street should be named for each of their parents. Igo drive was easy to name, but there were already streets named Alice and Taylor in San Antonio, so the children took her initials and last name, A. T. Igo, and created an anagram to use to name the street in honor of their mother. Those of us who grew up in the area, and some of us on this thread who once lived on the actual street, now know that street as Tioga drive, which crosses Wurzbach from Colonies North to the Summit of Colonies North.

I thought most of the streets in Shenandoah, Summit and Colonies North were named after places in Pennsylvania, mainly Battlefields?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I thought most of the streets in Shenandoah, Summit and Colonies North were named after places in Pennsylvania, mainly Battlefields?
I remember as a small child going to Colonies North Elementary and being told most of the neighborhood streets in the area were named after towns or places that were part of the original 13 colonies of the US. I guess that was the "theme" of the area that the developers wanted to promote. Hence Colonies North. Tioga and Igo, though, were required by the sales contract by family selling it, so I guess the developers couldn't name those two. Most of the street on the Colonies North side adhere to that rule. There are some streets in the summit or Shenandoah side that do not. I knew a girl once who lived pretty close to the elementary school and her street was something like "Knotty Pine" or "Post Oak", some tree we don't even have here in South Texas. Goshen Pass is a real Virginia town, but Lands Run isn't. Maybe they ran out of towns before they ran out of streets?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:19 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Interesting info about the background of that particular area, GWhopper...I wonder if the Igo family you've mentioned is related to the same John Igo that I knew back in the 80s when I was at TU and when I also did some theater work at San Antonio Little Theater (SALT).

John Igo is a product of NISD schools and went to the original Lock Hill Elementary (original spelling) before it was moved to DeZavala in the mid 70s. He also graduated from there when it was possible to do that and pre-dated Northside Rural High (Marshall HS). He's just been nominated as one of NISD's Pillars of Character and he also will have the new San Antonio Public Library branch off W. Hausman (near the new Brandeis HS) named after him.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/library/br...andopening.asp

NISD's Pillars of Character:

http://www.nisd.net/pillars/2007/fairness

I remember him being a very nice man from years ago...I'd love to sit down with him now and 'pick his brain' about the history of this area and hear his memories of the past.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM

61 posts, read 257,877 times
GWhop...you're living my life...I lived across the street from the Bookstop 10 yrs ago when I was a kept man!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 AM

14 posts, read 50,067 times
Talking Dairy/Milk manufacturer names in SA

I think the dairy places you're talking about may have been Carnation and Knowltons on or off of Fredericksburg Road in between Blanco and West Ave. What ever happened to knowltons ice cream? It was delicious stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicjello View Post
I lived in SA briefly as a young adult but I was born and raised in a small town about 50 miles SE of San Antonio. We watched San Antonio TV stations (back in the 60's and 70's, that meant ALL three of them!!!! four if you included KLRN (PBS), which we rarely did save for a few Davey and Goliath cartoons) and we listened to SA radio stations.

Growing up, KTSA was king as was AM radio. We also listened to KONO (Top Dog Radio) and would usually flip between the two stations. I remember Ricci Ware and Bruce (Brucie Poo) Hathaway and articles by Sam Kindrick--the old Cedar Chopper in the Express News which by the way, shared top newspaper billing with the San Antonio Light. On the radio, G.G. Gale would call in (probably live) during Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" every Sunday morning (Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!!). G.G. wou;d call in to hawk prime real estate in the hills just North Northwest of the city....Whispering Oaks. Man, I remember that so vividly. My sister and were supposed to go to Catechism every Sunday morning (yeah, were wer good Catholic girls) and instead we'd skip out and just go riding around in a neighboring city while listening to the radio taking bets on which Jackson 5, Carpenters or Osmond Brothers song was #1 that week.

Then KTSA would include ecclisiastical programming with a hip twist. There was this show called "Powerline" that tried to deal with teen angst of the late 60's and early 70's. It;d play music and answer listener mail and you could write in for a free black lite poster. Far out, man.

IN 1972, the biggest movie that spring was "The Summer of '42". It broke all kinds of box office records, so KONO would reference everything that summer as "The Summer of '72 time is______" "The Summer of
72" temperatue this Tuesday afternoon is______". Why I remember that, I don't know.

Of course I remember all the other stuff..."5 Star Shock" at three every Saturday afternoon on Channel 5 and that WAS only if you were able to stand the movie from the night before on "Project Terror"..where the scientific and the terrorfying emerge...then the image of the atom would animate and make this grading alarm sound. Used to scare us kids.

Project Terror was gone by 71 and was replaced by ALL STAR WRESTLING which used the same theme from the movie, Peter Gunn as it's intro.

I used to watch Captain Gus every afternoon. He and the mateys and remember Zombie? ALl you'd hear was a growl from off stage and this big hairy furry arm like a bear would come into view from off camera. I know there was a Mortimer but I think that was after I lost interest in cartoons.

I never went to Playland Park and I always wanted to. I think that's why I have issues as an adult. We frequently went to Kiddle Park by the museum and Brackenridge, but for some reason my family just couldn't make it that far down Broadway. I never knew why.

I remember Hemisfair and seeing Mayor Walter McAllister on the Carol; Burnet Show (Carol was born in SA and was lived there as a child) and he presented her with a key to the city as the fair got underway.

I remember Martha Buchanan on WOAI when it was origanlly called WOAI. I rmemember Mary Denman and a noontime chat show for ladies called "Our Town". And who could forget Lydia Alegria and anyone remember Channel 5 Chief Meteorolgoist, Jerry Zimmerman? Kind of a squirrely looking guy with big black glasses, but the cat really knew his weather. He'd sign off each weather cast with his weather stick pointing down to his initials in the corner of his "weather board". It was an umbrella handle which formed the "J" and then there was a "Z" underneath.

Remember Ken Carter the anchor to KSAT's "12 Star Final". It was the bloodiest damn local newscast I'd ever seen. They'd get up close and personal with crime and accident victims, leaving little to the imagination. It opened with an emergency light flashing (like on top of a police car) and this big symphonic intro. Like mimicking the sound of a telegraph or something.

I remember Gibsons and Spartan Atlantic...and La Feria and of course, Centeno's. I remember SA fathers at the Chamber of Commerce tried to make a big deal of the four local and regional food manufacturing compaies headquarterd in SA. I think I can only remember two of the four:

1. Roeglein (pardon my spelling, but they made sausage, bacon..cold cuts). 2. Dentler-Facts (made potato and corn chips)
3. There was also a milk producer/dairy manufacturer..can't remember the name..was it Metzger's????
4. and I think that last one was Pioneer (they made flour and biscuit and cake mixes) I think the plant was located near the King William district.

Thanks for letting me traipse down memory lane. It was fun.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:09 AM

14 posts, read 50,067 times
These may have been mentioned but does anyone remember these places/things?

BOWLERAMA on Blanco Road and Weizman
WHOPPER BURGER on West Ave (now Smurfs)
SHAKEYS PIZZA on San Pedro
SELF'S Hamburger (for 15 cents) on San Pedro usually just ketchup and pickles (later heard a story that they were using horse meat -- not sure if true) but they sure were good at the time
ROLLERCADE off San Pedro/ Jackson Keller? (still there)
JAY's HAMBURGERS on San Pedro - cruise through with your car - usually a GTO (GOAT)
Joske's with Santa on top of the building? Or the chocolate shakes they sold in the basement in real shake glasses? I think they were 50 cents.
GWYN's PHARMACY on West Ave - I don't think it's still there?? 5 cent cherry cokes and chocolate cokes. You could go crazy with a quarter!!
TRUCKERS HEAD SHOP on Hildebrand - there was also a pool hall down Hildebrand close to the RR tracks - can't remember the name of it.
Anyone live around Craigmont Lane? Remember WHITE CLIFFS where we rode our bikes down hills - one called Suicide? A creek ran through it. Houses have been built on it
Knowltons and Carnation dairies on Fredericksburg Road
North West Center on Fredericksburg Road - used to race our VW's in the parking lot late at night.
FREDERICKSBURG DRIVE-INN THEATER (next to NW Center) kids hide in trunk to get in FREE!
TIP TOP on Fredericksburg Rd (still there)
SIGMOR SHAMROCK (also known as Diamond Shamrock and now Valero) my dad used to send me on my bike to buy him a pack of Herbert Tareyton cigarettes for 30 cents.
Yeah, anybody at any age could buy cigs then.
SOUTHERN COMFORT - not too good of memories cuz I can't remember (ha) cheap stuff though...that and cherry vodka -
THE DONKEY LADY - never knew where she was exactly but of course the guys took us girls out to Dreamland to park and wait to see if she'd show up - nice try guys!! She was supposed to be half woman/half donkey.
THIEF of BAGDAD - the rapist that hid in the home and attacked women
EARL ABELS on Broadway - (now located on Austin Hwy) but definitely not the same!! atmosphere and food aren't as good.
Piggly Wiggly on Blanco Road
L&M on Blanco Road for the cowboy duds
BUTCHER BOY Meats on Blanco Rd
DAIRY QUEEN on Blanco Road - it's now a well known Mexican Restaurant
WOOLCO across from Wonderland MALL (now Crossroads Mall)
RHODES in Wonderland Mall

- just thinking of the good ole times when we could walk the streets at night without any problems. When peg pants and tangerine shoes were in. Girls wore pointed tennis shoes and short shorts. The boys had gangs but they weren't violent - but it took all of them to RUMBLE! Back then their weapons consisted of fists, brass knuckles and chains. Their bark was worse than their bite. Hair was slicked back on the sides called fenders and the schools thought THAT was long hair!! HA - MAKE WAY for the hippies next. Girls and boys went steady and the girls wore the guys ring around their neck. I remember I made my boyfriend go buy a ring so I could wear it....also silver ID bracelets with the guys name on it. Yeah, guys used to wear these IDs with their own name on it.
DRIVERS ED in school at age 14 - Could get beginners at 14 and regular license at 16.
CORVAIR CARS - (funny)
2 door 57 Chevy's (good looking cars)
ROTARY DIAL TELEPHONES & Pink Princess telephones - when you could call someone or they could call you and hang up and you'd have to GUESS who it was. No caller id then.
RED SKELTON, DRAGNET and LAWRENCE WELK - had to watch what my parents watched altho there wasn't much of a choice with channels 4,5, 9 and 12
TELEPHONE EXCHANGES - DIAMOND (Di) -OXFORD (Ox) -MELROSE (Me) -PERSHING (Pe) - Capital (Ca) - WALNUT (Wa)- GENERAL (Ge) MAYFIELD (Ma) - I'm sure I've left some out but we always used the name with the number - actually it was much easier and back then you always knew what part of town the number was associated with - NOT NOW - that's almost impossible with all the new numbers out there.
That's all I can think of right now - did any of these bring back some memories?

Old 12-17-2007, 05:59 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,220 times
Yup, Driving at 14. Drivers Ed was a summer session at Wonderland downstairs where town hall used to be.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:07 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
That whole area used to be owned by Joseph Huebner (hence the name of the street near it). He was known as Doc Huebner even though he was a Silversmith and a Jeweler. In 1858 he started to acquire land by the road that bares his name. Eventually, he acquired 850 acres that stretched from the area near the Flying Saucer to Leon Valley. He built his home near where Huebner and Bandera meet, far from the Ventana apartments, so those ruins must have been some kind of support structure. Incidentally, his house was used as a stagecoach stop, and later became known as the "Onion House", because it was sold to a family whose last name was onion. Currently, the city of Leon Valley owns it and is trying to restore it as a historic site.

We've had discussions on the Huebner-Onion house in other threads...

What are those 2 buildings at Braun/1604?

Haunted in San Antonio

And there is more info and pics on the Leon Valley Historical Society

Cheers! M2

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 AM

24 posts, read 92,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPriss4 View Post
These may have been mentioned but does anyone remember these places/things?

BOWLERAMA on Blanco Road and Weizman
WHOPPER BURGER on West Ave (now Smurfs)
SHAKEYS PIZZA on San Pedro
SELF'S Hamburger (for 15 cents) on San Pedro usually just ketchup and pickles (later heard a story that they were using horse meat -- not sure if true) but they sure were good at the time
ROLLERCADE off San Pedro/ Jackson Keller? (still there)
JAY's HAMBURGERS on San Pedro - cruise through with your car - usually a GTO (GOAT)
Joske's with Santa on top of the building? Or the chocolate shakes they sold in the basement in real shake glasses? I think they were 50 cents.
GWYN's PHARMACY on West Ave - I don't think it's still there?? 5 cent cherry cokes and chocolate cokes. You could go crazy with a quarter!!
TRUCKERS HEAD SHOP on Hildebrand - there was also a pool hall down Hildebrand close to the RR tracks - can't remember the name of it.
Anyone live around Craigmont Lane? Remember WHITE CLIFFS where we rode our bikes down hills - one called Suicide? A creek ran through it. Houses have been built on it
Knowltons and Carnation dairies on Fredericksburg Road
North West Center on Fredericksburg Road - used to race our VW's in the parking lot late at night.
FREDERICKSBURG DRIVE-INN THEATER (next to NW Center) kids hide in trunk to get in FREE!
TIP TOP on Fredericksburg Rd (still there)
SIGMOR SHAMROCK (also known as Diamond Shamrock and now Valero) my dad used to send me on my bike to buy him a pack of Herbert Tareyton cigarettes for 30 cents.
Yeah, anybody at any age could buy cigs then.
SOUTHERN COMFORT - not too good of memories cuz I can't remember (ha) cheap stuff though...that and cherry vodka -
THE DONKEY LADY - never knew where she was exactly but of course the guys took us girls out to Dreamland to park and wait to see if she'd show up - nice try guys!! She was supposed to be half woman/half donkey.
THIEF of BAGDAD - the rapist that hid in the home and attacked women
EARL ABELS on Broadway - (now located on Austin Hwy) but definitely not the same!! atmosphere and food aren't as good.
Piggly Wiggly on Blanco Road
L&M on Blanco Road for the cowboy duds
BUTCHER BOY Meats on Blanco Rd
DAIRY QUEEN on Blanco Road - it's now a well known Mexican Restaurant
WOOLCO across from Wonderland MALL (now Crossroads Mall)
RHODES in Wonderland Mall

- just thinking of the good ole times when we could walk the streets at night without any problems. When peg pants and tangerine shoes were in. Girls wore pointed tennis shoes and short shorts. The boys had gangs but they weren't violent - but it took all of them to RUMBLE! Back then their weapons consisted of fists, brass knuckles and chains. Their bark was worse than their bite. Hair was slicked back on the sides called fenders and the schools thought THAT was long hair!! HA - MAKE WAY for the hippies next. Girls and boys went steady and the girls wore the guys ring around their neck. I remember I made my boyfriend go buy a ring so I could wear it....also silver ID bracelets with the guys name on it. Yeah, guys used to wear these IDs with their own name on it.
DRIVERS ED in school at age 14 - Could get beginners at 14 and regular license at 16.
CORVAIR CARS - (funny)
2 door 57 Chevy's (good looking cars)
ROTARY DIAL TELEPHONES & Pink Princess telephones - when you could call someone or they could call you and hang up and you'd have to GUESS who it was. No caller id then.
RED SKELTON, DRAGNET and LAWRENCE WELK - had to watch what my parents watched altho there wasn't much of a choice with channels 4,5, 9 and 12
TELEPHONE EXCHANGES - DIAMOND (Di) -OXFORD (Ox) -MELROSE (Me) -PERSHING (Pe) - Capital (Ca) - WALNUT (Wa)- GENERAL (Ge) MAYFIELD (Ma) - I'm sure I've left some out but we always used the name with the number - actually it was much easier and back then you always knew what part of town the number was associated with - NOT NOW - that's almost impossible with all the new numbers out there.
That's all I can think of right now - did any of these bring back some memories?
We must be from the same area of town. I ate a lot of burgers from Whopper Burger on West Ave near Basse. Rollercade on Friday nights was always a good time. I mentioned White Cliffs in an earlier post and I was beginning to wonder if anyone else remembered that. We used to go in with our bikes where Arroya Vista ended at Westmorland. Also, you could go around the guard rail at the north dead-end of Allena. We were customers of Gwynn Pharmacy back in the day and there was also a Piggly Wiggly on West Ave just north of Nassau I believe. The last time I was in S.A., that building was painted purple and was a night club.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Default Wolfe's Inn!!!

I know I just made GWhopper's day......

Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-wi-1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio