Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 PM

92 posts, read 303,494 times

Advertisements

Dan G- I remember Flip Flop and Fly Forest. It may have been the DJ's expression.
In the 50's my brother would go to the Ebony Lounge and was usually the only white kid dancing. Forest may have spun records at the lounge. Too long ago and too young.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 PM

60 posts, read 208,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Sorry for all the posts, but I have been gone from this forum for a few months and now want to catch up.

Dwangle wrote earlier that he was glad to hear the "Sandwich Garden" was still open. Unless they moved and I missed it, I don't think they are. 3 or 4 weeks ago I was in the area with my wife and wanted to take her over there. I hadn't been there in years when I got to the building where I am 99.9% certain it was, it was closed down. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Incidently, when I complained to my wife it was closed, she said "You couldn't have loved it THAT much, you haven't been here in years."

She's right, I guess sometimes we contribute to the places that are gone but not forgotten.....
I ate there a couple of months ago... I guess they could have closed since then but I would be surprised- there was a full lunch crowd when I was there. They are located at 1826 Mccullough and the phone is (210) 732-7419.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,853 times
I used to live in the historical Landmark house that is where the Gunn Honda Place is now. It was originally owned by the Henry Moos Family and was a stagecoach stop. There was a Historical Landmark plaque right next to the front door. It makes my family sick to see the way it is now. What a wonderful old house it was. I lived there as a teen ager in the mid 70's. At the time it was owned by an attorney J. Lawton Stone, my parents rented the house. I think it was under $500.00 a month if you can believe that. The walls were 2 feet thick and made of limestone, the window panes were all really old glass that had the bubbles and imperfections in it. There was a summer kitchen, and a fireplace in the family room that was huge. It had an oven in the wall of the fire place and also a place where you could smoke meat. The floors were flagstone in the kitchen and family room. It also had a wine cellar,that was supposed to be inhabited by the ghost of Henry Moos. He had a heart attack out in the field and I remember seeing a marker of where he died when I used to ride my horse on the 500 acres that was part of the property we rented. The family also had a cemetery right behind the house. The last member of the family was buried there when we were in the house and I remember when they came out to dig the grave. I watched all this from my bedroom window and my friends came over and I remember a few of them actually got down in the open grave. Teenagers!! I think the grave was open for a few days before they had the burial. There was a swimming pool and when they were putting it in they found many cans of silver dollars buried there. I can't remember the exact amount. After hearing that I remember my dad and grandfather buying a metal detector, hoping to get lucky! They didn't. We enjoyed that home so much. My parents thought about buying it, but felt like it was too close to the highway, so they ended up moving to Boerne. We always had people coming to the door, either wanting to look at the house, or people that ran out of gas, and sometimes hitchhikers. I remember one time an old man with a beard came to the door one night wanting some food or something. Well, my dad thought for some reason that he resembled Howard Hughes, and gave him a good leather jacket and some food and let him sleep in a small house out by the barn, thinking if it was Howard Hughes he might get rewarded for his kindness. It wasn't of course, but it was fun to think it might have been! Those were sure good times!! If you have any more questions about the old home please feel free to ask me and I'll answer if I can

Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
(REGARDING SANDWICH GARDEN) I ate there a couple of months ago... I guess they could have closed since then but I would be surprised- there was a full lunch crowd when I was there. They are located at 1826 Mccullough and the phone is (210) 732-7419.
I hope you are right. I will try to look for it again soon. The address will help me find it on my GPS.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
It sounds like you were doing a lone wolf infiltration without your faithful fellow "operator".
I found a little info on this...
Entrepreneurial duo scores Mercedes-Benz franchise for Boerne - San Antonio Business Journal:

The work, however was "one-hundred percent worth it," says Gunn, who adds that the new Honda store also features something rather unique. The site includes an old ranch house and stage-coach stop that were deemed historical structures -- and thus could not be torn down. Gunn is now in the process of remodeling the house.
It's already remodeled and made into an office. We need to try and find other remnants of the stage coach line up and down that road. We still need to make the 9 mile hill hike!.....but with a car.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 AM

35 posts, read 111,730 times
Default SA drive-ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Anyone go to any of the other drive-ins in San Antonio?
Yeah, I remember going to the Trail, the Pleasanton Rd, Lackland, Judson Rd., One that was located on Bandera Rd I think that was the name of it, one located near the five way intersection of Culebra Bandera etc. Maybe it was the Culebra drive in. There were many drive-ins. The Rigsby just came to mind, there were many more. Dan G

Old 05-03-2008, 10:46 AM

35 posts, read 111,730 times
Default Keyhole Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicajun View Post
Does anyone remember the Keyhole Club? I'd love to hear stories about the place. I stumbled across this online recently- The_Keyhole_Club- The Jim Cullum Jazz Band

My dad told me a little about the Keyhole Club and I always wondered what the history of it was. I found out that the club was run by native New Orleans trumpet player Don Albert. Dad went there a few times and recalls the club having a good mixture of people getting along and respecting one another all to the sounds of the jumpin' music.
This is Dan G and I do remember the Keyhole Club and it reminded me of the Eastwood Country Club. Don't know why it was called country club except maybe because it was in the country. Had a performer named Miss Wiggles. My older brother and cousins snuck me in there somehow and we were the only white people in there. Which also reminds me of sneaking in the back door of the Majestic theatre which I was told was the negro entrance and then of course you had to climb a thousand stairs to the very top balcony where the movie screen looked the size of a postage stamp. The entrance was on College St.. It was great!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:04 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
That comic book store in the Eisenhauer Flea Market was there in the 90's, too. The market was officially closed during weekday business hours, but I would go there during lunch and he would sometimes sell things to me he'd just gotten in.
Hey G you remember the Comic store right in front of the flea market, it was next door to the stop-n-go on eisenhauer. I remember that was my first comic store in the early 80's.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:38 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
Yeah, I remember going to the Trail, the Pleasanton Rd, Lackland, Judson Rd., One that was located on Bandera Rd I think that was the name of it, one located near the five way intersection of Culebra Bandera etc. Maybe it was the Culebra drive in. There were many drive-ins. The Rigsby just came to mind, there were many more. Dan G
The Drive in you are thinking of was the Varsity I think. They had carload prices. I saw Psycho there

Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
Bongo Joe was always downtown near the alamo. I always got off work around 10 or 11 back then and alot of times I would go downtown just to hang out. He banged on oil drums and they had weird holes in them like he tuned them or something..just sounded like oil drums to me! To be honest I never really understood any of this..it was just something to do when everything was closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio