Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 11:28 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
It sounds like you were doing a lone wolf infiltration without your faithful fellow "operator".
I found a little info on this...
Entrepreneurial duo scores Mercedes-Benz franchise for Boerne - San Antonio Business Journal:

The work, however was "one-hundred percent worth it," says Gunn, who adds that the new Honda store also features something rather unique. The site includes an old ranch house and stage-coach stop that were deemed historical structures -- and thus could not be torn down. Gunn is now in the process of remodeling the house.
" old ranch house and stage-coach"

I saw the old ranch house but not the stage coach stop. Might need a another trip back there.....

Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Hey G you remember the Comic store right in front of the flea market, it was next door to the stop-n-go on eisenhauer. I remember that was my first comic store in the early 80's.
No, I missed that one! I remember the old Stop-n-Go, but I never even paid much attention to the businesses on either side of it.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 68,123 times
PHEW!!! Two days to read all the posts!! First off thank you!! I'm a "lost Texan" living in Chandler, AZ and miss home! Y'all pretty much covered all of my memories. I have a few notes jotted down that I don't THINK were mentioned. Here goes:

My Grandfather used to sell vegetables out of his old truck back in the 40s-50s. He used to sell a lot at El Mercado also. (I have to find some pictures)

My Mom grew up in the Fox Tech area on a street that no longer exists thanks to the highway. She lived on California street. She had a little brother who was murdered a few days before graduation. He was known as The Bebop Kid. I wish my Mom was here in AZ with me now. She has soooo many memories. (I should just call her!!) One I've heard a lot about is her going to the gym of San Fernando to see Sunny Ozuna playing. I'm only 35 years old but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music from back then . . .Sunny Ozuna and the Sunliners, Tierra, The Manhattans, Rene Y Rene (whom my middle name is from!), and so on!

Also in staying with that time period, my Mom seems to have a lot of pictures from a studio that would hang out downtown and snap pictures of you and sell them to you. I think it was called Studer's? Any one else have old pics from them?

My Mom and her sisters used to work at a retail shop downtown, ( I need to call her and ask her the name) and I pracitcally grew up downtown for awhile.

My Dad's family owned a tire/mechanic shop called Central Tire. They moved their location several times, but the main one which I have fond memories of was off of Martin by Travis Bank. Anyone know of what I'm talking about?

Also, in front of Fox Tech used to be a family friend's burger joint . . I don't know what it was called, but her name was Mrs Canales. MMMMMMM, I just remember my parents taking me in there to eat!

I also remember buying my First Communion dress at La Ferria!

I am from the South Side. Went to Kate Schenck, Rogers and Highlands. (Class of '90) I remember before school, we used to go driving really fast on the hills in Pecan Valley Park.

Anyone else a Girl Scout from back in the day? Remember having camps at Lajita, Mirasol and Comanche Park?

Also I didn't see this mentioned. In doing some research on my Dad's biological mother, we came into some info that back in the old days, they would hold pauper burials out in empty land at Stinson field. Did anyone else know that?

Also, in keeping with that research we did on her, she was institutionalized in a hospital that no longer exists out in Southton. She had TB back then and apparently they had them in tents and eventually moved the patients to the state hospital - where she passed away. Anyone else knew about the hospital in Southton? Is the building still there? I bet that would've been a good "haunting" site for kids to check out!

And I have to check the other forums on little towns, but my Dad grew up in the Wetmore area. He has fond memories of riding his bike to that Comanche tower on the hill.

Keep those memories and pictures coming! I wish I was back home because my Mom has TONS of old pics from dowtown and her days at Fox Tech. She graduated in the 50's.

Last edited by Merryg; 05-04-2008 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: edited to add memories of Capn Jims jukeboxes on every table, and creamers shaped like cows

Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 AM

My Mom worked at Grayson's

Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 PM

LOL And I forgot to mention I worked at Penney's in McCreless. It was a sad day for us when they told us we'd be closing. The actual closing of the store was CRAZY!! We had people coming in even trying to buy the actual clothing racks. That was a crazy time. Then I worked at Penney's in SouthPark, got married and moved and transferred to Penney's at Windsor. Then I eventually quit there and worked at Sears and Dillards at Rolling Oaks before moving here to AZ.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,297 times
Merryg ..I enjoyed reading your posts. I remember when I was very young living on Cliffwood (off of West Ave.) that we had the Milk man the Egg man and the Orange Lady. They sold milk, eggs and oranges door to door. Their were also guys that sold produce like Tomatoes and Cantalopes door to door. My mom would buy from them frequently. I remember El Mercado back then but it was way different then now. It was kind like a big barn back then and always very busy.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsysgal View Post
Does anybody remember Bushel Basket? They were nice little stores that sold fresh fruits and vegetables,cheeses,wines and meats, and made fruit baskets. There were 4 of them. One on North New Braunfels, One on Babcock and Callaghan, one on McCarty(off of San Pedro) and one on Vance Jackson. They were around from the mid to late 1970's. I worked at all of them as a teenager. Every time I walk through the produce department of a grocery store and smell the apples it takes me back to my Bushel Basket days!
I remeber the one on Vance Jackson, I used to go there with my mom. I think it was to the right of where Goro's is now.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post
PHEW!!! Two days to read all the posts!! First off thank you!! I'm a "lost Texan" living in Chandler, AZ and miss home! Y'all pretty much covered all of my memories. I have a few notes jotted down that I don't THINK were mentioned. Here goes:

My Grandfather used to sell vegetables out of his old truck back in the 40s-50s. He used to sell a lot at El Mercado also. (I have to find some pictures)
My family was in the produce business for generations....I would love to see what photos you have of the old produce market, before it became El mercardo.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 92,093 times
Does anyone remember anything about the old pharmacy that was there. It was called Botica ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
My family was in the produce business for generations....I would love to see what photos you have of the old produce market, before it became El mercardo.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM

This is the only one I can find here with me. The rest are all back home in TX. (I'm in AZ)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio