Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I've been racking my brain to remember where a bridge was that was just South of downtown. It might have been on S. Presa....I just remember it being VERY narrow and VERY old. This was back in the 70's....and I'm sure it's long gone. Does anyone remember that bridge? It was so narrow that it was very unnerving driving on it with two way traffic. Or maybe it was even one-way?
Sorry....I was in high school and not familiar with driving around downtown at that time. It would be even more awesome to see a picture of it....but I suppose I'd need to know the name first!
Only thing in town I can think of is the old trestle bridge on side of I-37! The one neither the City or the RR want to pay to remove! South of Jones and East of I-37, still there i guess. Closed to traffic along time , maybe since the 70's. Pretty narrow , i've been across it long ago!! Only thing in town especially downtown or south of it I recall! Narrow bridge in Berg's Mill. One laner out old Pleasanton Road about a mile south of 4-10!!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,845,558 times
Haven't read through this whole thread, but the little train in the Joske's parking lot that took you to the door of the store! I loved that when I was a little girl!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,845,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Anyone remember those clothing stores--La Feria, Solo Serve?
Also, I think it's still around but I haven't been there in ages--it's called Burger Time on Valley-Hi Drive. They had decent burgers but they sold the best fried fish dinners. Remember when Luby's was affordable?

Pear Apple County Fair was kinda fun. We still have a caricature of us that we had done there!
LOL! Yes, I remember La Feria!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,370,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Only thing in town I can think of is the old trestle bridge on side of I-37! The one neither the City or the RR want to pay to remove! South of Jones and East of I-37, still there i guess. Closed to traffic along time , maybe since the 70's. Pretty narrow , i've been across it long ago!! Only thing in town especially downtown or south of it I recall! Narrow bridge in Berg's Mill. One laner out old Pleasanton Road about a mile south of 4-10!!
Thanks satx. It's definitely not the bridge you're referring to East of I-35. I believe that is part of Walnut Street near Dignowitty Park. It was an early overpass for the railroad. I sort of like that bridge....it's very interesting and mysterious.

I should have mentioned it, but this was over the river and I'm pretty certain it was just South of town. I'll have to get out my old maps! ha!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM

Wasn't Water Street? Can't recall if their was a bridge over the tracks at Water street. Tunneled under now, I know, but was it a narrow bridge over tracks earlier ? I'm not looking stuff up right now . But seems that Water street is continuation of Durango East of I-37. Was thinking the tunnel came later!! No further back than the 70's I can't imagine but I'll keep thinking!!

Last edited by SATX56; 10-27-2008 at 11:57 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Wasn't Water Street? Can't recall if their was a bridge over the tracks at Water street. Tunneled under now, I know, but was it a narrow bridge over tracks earlier ? I'm not looking stuff up right now . But seems that Water street is continuation of Durango East of I-37. Was thinking the tunnel came later!!
I'm not familiar with Water Street. I just tried to look it up on the map and didn't recognize it.

I was wrong about the name of the bridge you mentioned. It is near Dignowitty Park, but it's Hays Street, not Walnut. Got the "nut" street names mixed up with the "county" street names!

As far as my "imaginary" bridge.....I followed the map along the river and it's definitely not S. Presa. I don't know the history of the bridge at S Alamo near Blue Star....but that seems like the general location. I doubt that the bridge I'm remembering would have been that bad in that location in the 70's. BUT...it was just post Hemisfair, and pre-downtown revitalization. So much has been improved in that length of time.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Water Street. I just tried to look it up on the map and didn't recognize it.

I was wrong about the name of the bridge you mentioned. It is near Dignowitty Park, but it's Hays Street, not Walnut. Got the "nut" street names mixed up with the "county" street names!

As far as my "imaginary" bridge.....I followed the map along the river and it's definitely not S. Presa. I don't know the history of the bridge at S Alamo near Blue Star....but that seems like the general location. I doubt that the bridge I'm remembering would have been that bad in that location in the 70's. BUT...it was just post Hemisfair, and pre-downtown revitalization. So much has been improved in that length of time.
Hays Street that's it!! Remember when Bill Millers was east of I-37 Off Durango? Just East from there was water Street. Bridge and / or tunnel right there! Probandt, Alamo , Pereida nothings changed in that area. The really nice green bridges in King William don't think any used by cars. Maybe one going through to Arsenal ST. But,I don't recall crossable bridges in there. Certainly not narrow ones! I got no bells going off on this one !

Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Hays Street that's it!! Remember when Bill Millers was east of I-37 Off Durango? Just East from there was water Street. Bridge and / or tunnel right there! Probandt, Alamo , Pereida nothings changed in that area. The really nice green bridges in King William don't think any used by cars. Maybe one going through to Arsenal ST. But,I don't recall crossable bridges in there. Certainly not narrow ones! I got no bells going off on this one !
Thanks satx....I'll keep asking around. The more I think about it, the more I remember. I-37/281 was not there yet....so we basically went along 410 to get where we were going (I have no clue about that). I do remember we would take a more direct route through town on the way back. I may have been a bridge over a railroad track....I'm very foggy on that part too! It was just creepy....a little pocket of a very old neighborhood....almost partially abandoned looking. ??? It might have been a nightmare I had!

Last edited by wCat; 10-28-2008 at 12:42 AM..

Old 10-28-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks satx....I'll keep asking around. The more I think about it, the more I remember. I-37/281 was not there yet....so we basically went along 410 to get where we were going (I have no clue about that). I do remember we would take a more direct route through town on the way back. I may have been a bridge over a railroad track....I'm very foggy on that part too! It was just creepy....a little pocket of a very old neighborhood....almost partially abandoned looking. ??? It might have been a nightmare I had!
I remember back when I was 14 drove across Olmos Dam thought i was in another country!! The mind can play tricks on you too!! Mine does!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I remember back when I was 14 drove across Olmos Dam thought i was in another country!! The mind can play tricks on you too!! Mine does!
It did seem like that back then. Had to drive from Randolph down near Kelly for some reason several times. It seemed like we drove for two days around 410....that's why we always tried the "short cut" on the way home. It probably doesn't exist anymore....or maybe it's UNDER 37!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio