Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM

35 posts, read 115,989 times

Advertisements

Bud B, I grew up on Foster Rd. about 3 miles north of Hwy 181. You were speaking of the Battle of
Rosillo and yes I'm aware of that skurmish. There is a monument telling of the battle at the three way intersection of W.W. White Rd., Casias Rd. & Hildebrandt Rd. The problem is it's always getting
knocked over and sometimes tagged. It's not an official State Historical Marker but I wish someone
with county maintenance could look after it. jg

Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
There is a monument telling of the battle at the three way intersection of W.W. White Rd., Casias Rd. & Hildebrandt Rd. The problem is it's always getting
knocked over and sometimes tagged.
It's not an official State Historical Marker but I wish someone
with county maintenance could look after it. jg
That makes me want to cry.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
The part I have not verified yet is where Harry Wurzbach lived in San Antonio. He is listed as being from Seguin, but born in San Antonio. He was a US Congressman who served on the Military Affairs committee. He was related to the "Wurzbachs" of the I-10 area...son and brother who lived in that area. There were also "Wurzbachs" that owned about 90-100 acres of land near adjacent to the Oakwell Farms development. I'm researching that family to see if Harry ever lived in that area. From what I have discerned from my notes, Harry Wurzbach Military Hwy was named in his honor more for his service to the country and support of the growth of the military, rather than being associated with the area. The growth of Ft Sam, Camp Bullis and all the military installations around San Antonio were far reaching beyond this area. The US Government strongly supported the military facilities here as the different military campaigns waxed and waned.

Very interesting stuff! ...ok...I'm a total history nerd...
I am sure Harry Wuzbach and family probably had multiple residences through out his life in SA, but I do know he ended up in the Wurzbach Estate which is currently still there on Wurzbach and can be rented for parties and receptions.

I posted this link before, but so far its the most comprehensive history of the Wurzbach familiy I could find on the internet.

The Wurzbach Estate - HISTORY

Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I am sure Harry Wuzbach and family probably had multiple residences through out his life in SA, but I do know he ended up in the Wurzbach Estate which is currently still there on Wurzbach and can be rented for parties and receptions.

I posted this link before, but so far its the most comprehensive history of the Wurzbach familiy I could find on the internet.

GW...I remember the discussion on the Wurzbach family, but somehow I missed these photos. Wonderful pictures and what a beautiful family. I'm glad you posted this, because I had gathered a little info here and there to sort out some the these Wurzbachs. From what I gather, Charles Louis Wurzbach was in the produce business early on. When his family was young, they lived on 8th Street downtown where his grocery was. While I haven't confirmed when/who actually bought the Wurzbach estate, it was most likely Charles Louis Wurzbach. If that is the case, his family most likely lived both in town and at the farm. It looks like his son William A Wurzbach either purchased the farm or inherited it from the pictures on the website. Other than the picture of William's parents and siblings, the rest of the photos are of his children and grands.

Harry McCleary Wurzbach didn't marry until he was 29....and never had children. His wife was much younger than he was, and they were living in Seguin from at least 1910 up until he died in 1931. The Wurzbach property off Loop 410 near Ft Sam (Oakwell Farms area) does not appear to be owned by any of Charles Louis Wurzbach's children.....nor any close relation that I can see. The owner was A.E. and Bertha Wurzbach. They lived and farmed there for 30-40 years. It's possible that they were distant cousins but I couldn't find a link. There was another batch of Wurzbach land holdings on the far Western edge of Bexar County....again, I didn't see a very close connection. Most of that group stayed in Medina County.

So back to the question of who the two Wurzbach roads were named after....Harry Wurzbach Military Hwy was dedicated to him after he died.

Wurzbach Rd off I-10 seems to be tied directly to the Wurzbach farm in general. The website said the Burmeade Farm had been in their family for over 100 years, which would have been when William A. Wurzbach took it over. Since he was such a prominant figure in San Antonio and very well connected, it's possible that area is more associated with him than the rest of the family.

George Wurzbach married and was living on Patterson in Alamo Heights by 1920.

The other siblings were harder to trace....and the sisters mostly moved out of the state following their husbands.

Wonderful family......I'm glad they have kept the estate in their family.

Thanks for all the great links and info.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
BTW - I was busy today! Got some leads on my mystery bridge. I have an older relative that remembers it vividly, but also can't name the street. Talked to Texana, the Conservation Society Librarian and the ITC Librarian. I have some amazing info that I'll hopefully get tomorrow....pictures and maps!
I'm such a nerd!
Nothing like replying to my own post! Just a note to say that the records and maps I was able to view did show a wooden bridge South of downtown. As a matter of fact, there were a LOT of them! Course just about all of them are gone, so my mystery bridge remains a mystery.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 PM

Here's a new tidbit to toss out for pondering.

Does anyone know anything about the Henrietta Joske Memorial Girl's Training School? I've just run across this and I'm trying to locate where it was. I have the general vicinty, but no exact address.

Anyone???

Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
Smile Wish I Could Go Back In Time

Hi Everyone, I was born and raised in San Antone. I now reside in Southern California. We moved to California on 4th of July weekend 1977. I' ve been back a few times and each time I COME HOME I never want to leave. It is so hard to believe how so much has changed. I was hoping maybe someone could assist me I' m trying to locate some kind of archive records for little league baseball. I have told my wife so many of my childhood stories, not that she doesn' t believe me but it would be nice if I could locate something of this nature. Man those were the GREATEST DAYS of my life. Riding my bicycle down the street, playing Little League Baseball. Does anyone remember hearing of these teams back in the 70' s. K.O. Steel, The Flyers.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 PM

181 posts, read 643,115 times
I left SA in 1990, but I'm only in Houston, so I get to go back there about once or twice a year, cruise Walzem, hit some Flea Markets, swing by North Star Mall, mourn for Windsor Park Mall and The Galaxy Theater, eat some Bill Millers and check out the situation in Kirby (hasn't changed much). The late 70's and 80's were a magical time in SA, truly.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post

Thanks for posting this, very interesting article. Good to have a thread like this to learn about who streets are named after.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 35,593 times
Default BarQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by linskie View Post
I remember the BarQ. It was on the right-hand side of West Ave heading east. I believe it was where the road dips a bit, farther down past El Bosque. Good food.
I may not be remembering it correctly but I thought that the BarQ was down west ave before you got to blanco going east. On the right hand side. I remember it being a brown building kind of an old west style with the horse tie post. That was many years ago and my memory might be wrong. I thought El bosque was down West Ave past where Nakoma dead ends onto West Ave. (down near where the low water crossing was and caddy corner from Center school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio