Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samustang91 View Post
I remember a store called "BEST" at SAN PEDRO @ 410 I would go with my family in '95? - ' 97 . I think it closed down around early '98 . anyone remember BEST
Best Products! Oh but yes! I used to go to my grandma's house (back in the 70's and 80's) and thumb through the Best catalog looking at the jewelry and getting ideas for Christmas presents! They were around for quite a long time.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:27 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
The old drive in was at Goliad & Southcross. Well actually in the triangle between Goliad and Clark . It was called the Bellaire or Bel-Air went my other name earlier but it eludes me right now. I'm sorry actually it was the Parkaire. There's a hamburger joint across the street from it that has a photo of it in it's window.
Floyd's Dairy Bar! Google maps has a street view where you can see the burger joint! (1354 Goliad Rd, if you want to see the streetview.) Looks like it did back in the 70's. Anyone eaten there lately?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM

35 posts, read 111,685 times
Default Xc99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
The old plane at Kelly which could be seen along Hwy 90 was the XC-99. It was moved to the southern end of the base near the 433rd hangars a few years ago. The Air Force Museum in Ohio has acquired the aircraft and is little by little dismantling it for shipment to the Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. The aircraft will be fully restored and displayed there.

Macgrad89
I was reading old quotes and came across some memories of the XC99 and had to tell of my recollection of actually seeing it fly about 1949 and how my house shook and pictures rattled even though it wasn't directly overhead. I guess it was landing at Kelly AFB but it was very loud and very exciting for a five year old. Dan G

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
The xc99 , was that the one with the propellers pointing backwards?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight6662005 View Post
Since I've been back to San Antonio, on vacation, I 've been hitting up my old haunting grounds, when I was a kid....and the southside sure has changed, especially South Park Mall. God I miss the old theater there. And out of all the malls that have bit the dust...ie. McCreless, Windsor, Westlakes (and Crossroads doesn't look that good...by the way) I am surprised SPM has lasted. That mall seems to be stronger than ever. Compared to North Star and Ingram, they sux. But I still believe they should of left the theater in there. The Mayan looks cool, but I miss the old Century South.

I also miss the following...

The bowling alley on Zarzamora (the name escapes me)

The Korgers, Toys R' Us and The Bonanza (located in the same strip mall)

Chelsea Bar (@SPM)

The Target, which later became a Albertson's

A comic book shop that had a Spider-man Billboard on it, that burnt down in '96...I think.

Now back to SPM...

The food court that was located next to Mervyn's and where Anna Linens is now located.

The arcade room that was painted all white, that was located next to Chick Fil'a, in the said food court.

Also the arcade, that was all black, near the center of the mall, before it moved to the food court.

One last thing, for ya DIE-HARD SPM southsider. There was a clothing store, that was located across from the darkened arcade room, that had mirrors all over the place. Does anyone remember this store or is my memory playng tricks on me?
I remember when the strip across from SPM opened at Handy Dan they had some of the Spurs and i remember waiting a few hours to get their autographs. I also remember Fargo's Pizza, and next to Kroger was the 39cent weiner works. Anyone remember those?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Anyone remember when Alfonso's was on the corner of Military and Zarzamora? As someone mentioned earlier the Pizza Inn on 35-military.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
What year would this have been? I've got some old yearbooks from Highlands and there just may be pictures of these places in them. Now if you can find someone with yearbooks from that time frame from Harlandale HS, you might get better results, but I'll check the ones I have if I have a date range.

We're both figuring late 50's!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:34 PM

Smile Alfonsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Anyone remember when Alfonso's was on the corner of Military and Zarzamora? As someone mentioned earlier the Pizza Inn on 35-military.
Yeah I remember Alfonso's at Military & Zarzamora. May have gone there once. But honestly don't recall. My parents used to bowl in a league at Southside Bowling alley back when I was 14-15 yrs old in the mid to late 60's. The little bar in there made the best salads I've ever had! They had that really crunchy purple lettuce in it and the best Thousand Island dressing ever. Learned to love salads right there.

I watched as they built a Gibson's Store next to and slightly to the side of the bowling alley. Bought my first guns there, a Winchester & Mossberg 22 semi automatics. They had a good sporting goods section. Bought the tiniest little 9 transistor radio you'll ever see. Later years they put an A&W Restaurant in one corner inside. Good Root Beer! Frosted Mugs.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 PM

23 posts, read 68,095 times
That store in SPM - was that across from Luby's? I used to shop at SPM growing up. It was a step up from McCreless and was considered a little bit of a treat to be able to go there. I eventually ended up working there after the Penney's I worked at McCreless closed down and I transferred out to Penney's at South Park.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post

You know I'm not so sure that was a Pizza Inn at Military and I-35. It seems to me it was an Italian Pizza place but something about it always made me think they were affiliated with Hungry Farmer Restaurant. The last and only Pizza Inn I recall on Military Dr. was up on security hill close to Lackland AFB sitting up on it's own little high spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio