Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 PM

285 posts, read 677,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I keep hearing people say they had to dress up to go to these southside diners. Why? I don't recall this. I think it's just that most of us went out to eat especially on Sunday's after church so naturally we were dressed up!
Eating out was not an everyday -or even every Sunday- event for our family so it was a special- get-dressed-up event for us. And, of course, kids (and adults) don't even dress up for Church now. I think that is sad.

Lori

Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
O.K. Who's got photos of the old Capt' Jim's Restaurant that sat at the corner of Roosevelt & Military Drive? Very popular Southside Hangout for 40 or more years!
How about the old Flame Drive in on Military close to Brooks. 1950's early 60's car hops 57' Chevy's. WOW! Photos from it's heydeys would be nice.
How about photos of old Melody Ranch on Roosevelt just south of Military? Olympic size swimming pool , diving boards, kiddie pool, life guard. Building is still there , now it's a sports bar. Pools all gone and long covered.
How about Terrible smells as we called it. Actually called Terrell Wells , huge pool fed by stinky sulpur springs. Property now part of McCollum High school. This was probably the location of what was another monster Bath House like Hot Wells Motel. Yes there are post cards around depicting Terrell Wells Resort I think it was called.
Another in Harlandale unknown where. Come on Southsiders talk to me!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
Eating out was not an everyday -or even every Sunday- event for our family so it was a special- get-dressed-up event for us. And, of course, kids (and adults) don't even dress up for Church now. I think that is sad.

Lori
Yes , It is sad Texan in Virginia. It's also sad the influx of little gangie types to parts of the southside have now caused the closure and total demise of our very last Drive-in Theater "" The Mission"" They graffitted it to death and vandalized it. They want no part of civilized behavior!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 PM

23 posts, read 68,113 times
Oh man . . . .Cap'n Jims brings back memories. My parents always took me there. I used to love playing music on the table top jukeboxes while I ate my chicken fried steak or enchiladas. Remember those cow creamers they had that you would pour cream from the cows mouth?

Old 07-19-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post
Oh man . . . .Cap'n Jims brings back memories. My parents always took me there. I used to love playing music on the table top jukeboxes while I ate my chicken fried steak or enchiladas. Remember those cow creamers they had that you would pour cream from the cows mouth?
What time period are you speaking of? We went during the fifties allthe up until it closed. Always had Sunday dinner in the restaurant dining area. My grandparents 50th wedding anniversary celebrated there.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 PM

25 posts, read 62,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember when the strip across from SPM opened at Handy Dan they had some of the Spurs and i remember waiting a few hours to get their autographs. I also remember Fargo's Pizza, and next to Kroger was the 39cent weiner works. Anyone remember those?
Those 39 cent weiner works...I remebers those. Actually I think one was at SPM and another, maybe under a different name, was located at the twin strip mall at Century South Movie Theater...I think it was called Hot Dog something...

Old 07-19-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight6662005 View Post
Those 39 cent weiner works...I remebers those. Actually I think one was at SPM and another, maybe under a different name, was located at the twin strip mall at Century South Movie Theater...I think it was called Hot Dog something...
That movie theater you all are talking about in spm I only went there 2 or 3 times . I just never went to that mall very often. Think it was resentment over our southside Sears that everybody loved being lured to move there. Anyhow , the last time we went to that theater I was shocked . The gangies as I refered to earlier had destroyed the interior . All the carpets were ripped up and the seats were nasty and cut up!
I Mostly went to Century South back then. I remember the grand opening , just lived a few blocks away. First movie I saw there was "Ice Station Zebra" Rock Hudson , Ernest Borgnine , Jim Brown. Later Easy Rider, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Billy Jack. The Mayan as It's called now isn't bad . I just hope they take care of it and do not abandon it to the bad elements. I believe it was the first multi- screen indoor theater in San Antonio.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:02 PM

23 posts, read 68,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
What time period are you speaking of? We went during the fifties allthe up until it closed. Always had Sunday dinner in the restaurant dining area. My grandparents 50th wedding anniversary celebrated there.

I was born in '72 so that should tell you! LOL

Old 07-19-2008, 03:20 PM

It tells me I was 21 when you were born. Dependent on the month of course

Old 07-19-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merryg View Post
I was born in '72 so that should tell you! LOL

That reminds me, had they added the nice little breezeway (I called it) that was added on the outside and went from the front coffee shop door around past the coffee shop side door and all the way to include the dining room front door . Totally enclosed . I thought it was a nice addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio