Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,026 times

Advertisements

I totally remember Capt Gus and his side-kick, Mortimer in the later years. Okay matey's, it's think-tank time...Ba Ding Bing...

I also remember the slide at Wonderland Mall..that thing was huge!

I was also at the Battle of Flowers Fiesta parade when the sniper was there in 1979. I was a freshman at Marshall High and we were in the marching band that was to be one of the participant schools that day. Needless to say we didn't march and ended up running through the downtown streets (along with Churchill High) trying to hide behind cars when the bullets were ringing out....

Anyone else remember when KENS 5 had the old "Project Terror" horror movies late night on Saturdays?

I also remember miles and miles of nothing...Loop 410 was the "outer" ring of development when I was young. There really wasn't much beyond a mile or two of 410 in a lot of areas of nw and west SA. 1604 might as well have been 100 miles away b/c it was only surrounded by ranches and farms and an occasional truck on the road every now and then.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:34 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,209 times
Ah yes, "Project Terror!" I wish they still ran those late night Elvira-type shows instead of those lame-o infomercials.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:27 PM

30 posts, read 164,889 times
What about the Ize House on Broadway in Alamo Heights-made their own root beer dispensed from a wooden barrel.

And.......... Little Hipps.

Chris Madrid's, which still exists, is a place where new and old San Antonians can get a taste of what the essence of San Antonio is about; Be sure to ask how Chris and Carlos are doing.

Many Texans refer to San Antonio as "lame".
This town is the best kept secret in the nation-but be warned!
It is now on the radar screen.
Vaya con dios

Last edited by baktuny; 12-19-2006 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I totally remember Capt Gus and his side-kick, Mortimer in the later years. Okay matey's, it's think-tank time...Ba Ding Bing...

I also remember the slide at Wonderland Mall..that thing was huge!

I was also at the Battle of Flowers Fiesta parade when the sniper was there in 1979. I was a freshman at Marshall High and we were in the marching band that was to be one of the participant schools that day. Needless to say we didn't march and ended up running through the downtown streets (along with Churchill High) trying to hide behind cars when the bullets were ringing out....

Anyone else remember when KENS 5 had the old "Project Terror" horror movies late night on Saturdays?

I also remember miles and miles of nothing...Loop 410 was the "outer" ring of development when I was young. There really wasn't much beyond a mile or two of 410 in a lot of areas of nw and west SA. 1604 might as well have been 100 miles away b/c it was only surrounded by ranches and farms and an occasional truck on the road every now and then.
I remember road runners crossing Loop 410 at the Airport.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
I remember buying my records and 8-tracks at the Record Hole with three locations: North Star Mall, Babcock and Callaghan and I don't remember the third. I remember a putt-putt course on the corner of Babcock and Hillcrest. The 18th hole was where you putted to the Alamo. Remember when Handy-Andy was part of Wonderland Mall. Oh, and there was a good site where the guy reminised (sp) about Playland. He said that the old rollercoaster from there was moved to Pennsylvania and is now called the Phoenix.

I found this site because I ran across a blurb that said Bob Crane was the composer of the Get Smart theme. Now did you know that if Crane was not murdered, he was scheduled to appear at Holliman's Fiesta Dinner Theater after he completed his gig at the Arizona one? Some Gee-whiz info for ya.

Anybody remember Cooter-Browns? I loved that place. A great place to see live bands like 'The Clocks'. Alexanders on St. Mary's was a good place as well. How about the monorail at Hemisfair? I think they had to remove it because they kept crashing the cars. I am sure lack of business was the other reason.
OH @#%+^, Cooter Browns, I just had a Qualude flashback.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
^^Great memories...I remember the putt putt course off Hillcrest too! And thanks for the memory jolt..I couldn't remember the name of the Fiesta Dinner Theater. I had heard that Bob Crane was supposed to be one of the rotating stars there before his untimely death.

I remember Cooter-Brown's. Great place for music! I also remember the movie theaters off I-10 just south of Callaghan when they were originally called the Northwest 6. That was the perfect double date...Mama's for mushrooms/dinner and then right next door to the movie theater.

Does anyone else remember the Midget Mansion? It was located north of Callaghan between Fredericksburg Rd and I-10. The easiest access was off Donore and Fred. Rd. where I believe there are condos built back there now. Anyway, the side road off there was gated but you could park and walk back onto the property where this huge old mansion sat on a high hill overlooking a lot of the city. It was in disrepair but you could walk all through the rooms and outside by the empty swimming pool. It got its name b/c there was some tale that midget ghosts overran the place ..something like that...who knows as we were all in high school then and that story just perpetuated itself!!
This is classic stuff; alot of laughing and running down the driveway late at night.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:52 PM

OMG..I loved Little Hipps...I lived there and at Chris Madrid's during college...LOL

I also remember one of the original Taco Cabana's off Hildebrand and McCullough, I believe...it was in an old refurbished building and nothing like the glitz they throw up nowadays!

I remember the Bonham Exchange downtown had .25 drink nights on Wednesdays...and the music was terrific too!

I remember ButterKrust Bakeries off Broadway and the smell of the bread every day. Is that still there?

Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
OMG..I loved Little Hipps...I lived there and at Chris Madrid's during college...LOL

I also remember one of the original Taco Cabana's off Hildebrand and McCullough, I believe...it was in an old refurbished building and nothing like the glitz they throw up nowadays!

I remember the Bonham Exchange downtown had .25 drink nights on Wednesdays...and the music was terrific too!

I remember ButterKrust Bakeries off Broadway and the smell of the bread every day. Is that still there?
ButterKrust is vacant, boarded, but soon to be revitalized along with the rest of the Broadway Corridor; Big plans in the works. Slated to be some sort of mixed-use facility.

The Bonham was a blast with all kinds of people able to get along.
Did you frequent the Esquire Bar (still alive and well)?
They had 25 cent Schlitz beer every night.

What about Joe King Carasco down on St. Mary's Street?

Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baktuny View Post
ButterKrust is vacant, boarded, but soon to be revitalized along with the rest of the Broadway Corridor; Big plans in the works. Slated to be some sort of mixed-use facility.

The Bonham was a blast with all kinds of people able to get along.
Did you frequent the Esquire Bar (still alive and well)?
They had 25 cent Schlitz beer every night.

What about Joe King Carasco down on St. Mary's Street?
And....... "Los Number Two Dinners"

Old 12-19-2006, 09:35 PM

Too bad about ButterKrust...but I hope they at least do the site on Broadway some justice.

I remember Joe King...boy that's a name I haven't heard in a long time!

Only made it to the Esquire once or twice...and yea, the Bonham was a lot of fun..I was even friends with Hap Veltman (owner) and his crowd at the time. I remember going to some of the first Fiesta Cornyations there upstairs in the Ballroom before it got to be so big and the venue was moved. I remember one year in particular when someone walked out on to the stage in a gown made up of highway signs/detour signs/pylons and "Men Working" signs to poke fun at how many of the highways and streets were under construction even back then in the mid 80s...some things never change, eh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio