Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 01:25 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times

Advertisements

Joe King is alive and well and STILL touring like crazy: www.joeking.com

...as are the Los Number 3 Dinners (from 2 to 3 dinners?): www.myspace.com/number3dinners

Old 12-20-2006, 07:08 AM

30 posts, read 164,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Too bad about ButterKrust...but I hope they at least do the site on Broadway some justice.

I remember Joe King...boy that's a name I haven't heard in a long time!

Only made it to the Esquire once or twice...and yea, the Bonham was a lot of fun..I was even friends with Hap Veltman (owner) and his crowd at the time. I remember going to some of the first Fiesta Cornyations there upstairs in the Ballroom before it got to be so big and the venue was moved. I remember one year in particular when someone walked out on to the stage in a gown made up of highway signs/detour signs/pylons and "Men Working" signs to poke fun at how many of the highways and streets were under construction even back then in the mid 80s...some things never change, eh??
I just want thank you for the excellent thread topic.
I went to bed last night with a big smile on my face and woke up the same way. I am 44 years old, moving back to NYC soon and you have awoken some memories of good friends and places that have now past. I will miss this "lame" town of "Water" burgers" ButterCrust, and Braniff.
Thank you for the early Christmas Gift.

Last edited by baktuny; 12-20-2006 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: color change

Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Hey it's still "water"burger and even my 11 and 16 year old daughters call it that. LOL!!!
Oh, how it was so cool to take the field trip to buttercrust and get those small little loaves of bread (I thought those were the coolest). That was the major field trip of the year, and it was a long bus ride coming from the town of Bandera.

Anyone ever go four wheeling across from UTSA?? That was fun!

And for you guys out in Helotes...... what ever happened to B**CH hill??? Remember that place??

I lived on the Southside until I was 8 years old and we moved to Medina Lake. Wow!!! It used to be a LOOONG trip to San Antonio, now it is just around the corner.

Thanks for posting the thread, cool memories!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,382 times
Remember Joe Fowler and his 'Boo' sign? I know he has been in some movies and typically plays a jerk. Remember Jud Ashmore? The weatherman for channel 5. He had a bar over by Bandera and 410. Also I am still upset at channel 5 for showing the smurfs over the BC/Miami game in which Flutie won with the legendary Hail Mary. I remember Dan Cook coming on the news and lambasting the program director. I know I should let it go, but I can't.

Whatever happened to Tommy Kraemer? Remember he was the Lee High quarterback that had a successful pro career with the Vikings, then got messed up with drugs and alcohol. Didn't he at one time have a bar over by the Windsor Park area?

For the one asking about Cooter Browns, it was out by UTSA on 1604. Back when UTSA was like a building or something. I'm not exactly sure, but I think that new outdoor mall is pretty close to where Cooter Browns used to be.

I saw Joe King Carrasco and the Kingpins when I was at Texas A&M. He did a free concert in a little gym there. It was a blast! (Yes there were rockers at A&M) and we were a rabid bunch. Joe King is awesome! Speaking of Joe "Kingpin" Carrasco, (the druglord) he met his demise at the Apartments there at Babcock and Callaghan. The Royal Arms? I can't remember what they were called.

How about the old road that went over the Olmos Dam? It was kind of scary. That was the first thing I had to drive over once I got my license. It was a good thing, because it was gone soon after.

The only place of any consequence in Helotes was Floores Country Store. So I'm assuming you are talking about the roads built into the hill. There were a lot of hills in Helotes that fit that description. In fact I had an Aunt that lived on a huge hill. Her house was to the right, the dropoff was to the left.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
It was a hill in Helotes where everyone went to party. I can't even remember how to get there now.
I remember Jud Ashmore, he was my best friends step dad. I knew him very well.... I practically lived at his house. He still around, I forget which radio station he is on now but he does the weather on a radio station somewhere, I'm thinking out of Kerrville. He lives in Pipe Creek. Shoot, I think he is 80 something now.

awwww..... memories. The good ol' days.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
...oh yeah, go here ASAP, before this is gone but not forgotten, ol' Ms. Metzger is getting on in the years y aknow - A CLASSIC SAN ANTONIO ICON, often sadly overlooked:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/ede2525/coolc2.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-22-2006, 11:06 AM

Nooo, Cool Crest can't go. That place is great. I took my kids there several years ago and they loved it. Unfortunately, I've only been in town around the holidays since and every time we have gone by they have been closed.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Speaking of Joe "Kingpin" Carrasco, (the druglord) he met his demise at the Apartments there at Babcock and Callaghan. The Royal Arms? I can't remember what they were called.

The above is totally wrong. I must have just dreamed this or too small when it became a memory. Anyway the Kingpin was Fred Carrasco and he met his demise somewhere else.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:28 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baktuny View Post
I just want thank you for the excellent thread topic.
I went to bed last night with a big smile on my face and woke up the same way. I am 44 years old, moving back to NYC soon and you have awoken some memories of good friends and places that have now past. I will miss this "lame" town of "Water" burgers" ButterCrust, and Braniff.
Thank you for the early Christmas Gift.

You're welcome, baktuny! I was reading all the threads on here about new folks moving into SA and how much the city is changing ever so fast...but I wanted some place where the rest of us that grew up in SA (and have great memories) could go and reminisce. Glad I was able to help bring a smile to your face.

I moved back to Texas in 2000 from NYC and although I miss it at times and my friends there, I don't think I'll ever go back. I'm just a few years younger than you so we might have hung out in the same circles back then! I'm not in SA full time anymore though either.

Glad to hear that Jud Ashmore is alive and well. I remember he and Ricky Ware had a radio program on an old country station that my parents listened to years ago...KBUC I think. Of course I remember him as the weatherman on channel 5. I also got a kick out of coming back home to visit a few years back and still seeing Dan Cook doing the sports. I figured he'd just eventually die on air some day.

I think I also remember the hill in Helotes that everyone is talking about. I think it was behind the old neighborhood of Helotes Ranch Estates or something like that. Great views from up there amongst some of the older homes; and there was one road in particular that was pretty much straight downhill at a steep angle curving its way down towards Scenic Loop and on to Bandera Rd. That was Marshall HS territory back then so a lot of us that lived around there roamed the hills looking for trouble to get into or to crash a party on someone's ranch acreage!

Old 12-22-2006, 10:16 PM

30 posts, read 164,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
You're welcome, baktuny! I was reading all the threads on here about new folks moving into SA and how much the city is changing ever so fast...but I wanted some place where the rest of us that grew up in SA (and have great memories) could go and reminisce. Glad I was able to help bring a smile to your face.

I moved back to Texas in 2000 from NYC and although I miss it at times and my friends there, I don't think I'll ever go back. I'm just a few years younger than you so we might have hung out in the same circles back then! I'm not in SA full time anymore though either.

Glad to hear that Jud Ashmore is alive and well. I remember he and Ricky Ware had a radio program on an old country station that my parents listened to years ago...KBUC I think. Of course I remember him as the weatherman on channel 5. I also got a kick out of coming back home to visit a few years back and still seeing Dan Cook doing the sports. I figured he'd just eventually die on air some day.

I think I also remember the hill in Helotes that everyone is talking about. I think it was behind the old neighborhood of Helotes Ranch Estates or something like that. Great views from up there amongst some of the older homes; and there was one road in particular that was pretty much straight downhill at a steep angle curving its way down towards Scenic Loop and on to Bandera Rd. That was Marshall HS territory back then so a lot of us that lived around there roamed the hills looking for trouble to get into or to crash a party on someone's ranch acreage!
Merry Christmas 940,

It is good to know that there are others out there that share a mutual afinity for all that is, or was SA. I will eat a Christmas (Culebra Ave.) tamale in your honor.

Hey, everyone out there.......... In this season of excess, look around you and take note of everything that is good and right in your corner of this life, cling to it, don't sweat the small stuff and keep SA lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio