Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 15,233 times

Advertisements

(Dad wrote this) I remember san antonio old movie theatres in the 50s. The state theatre on main street , where the admission price was 9 cents . The palace theatre on alamo street, across the street from the Alamo.It had a long corridor that went from alamo street to losoya street ,with mirrors on both sides.so you would be infinitely mirrored. There was 2 very small theatres on houston street, they would charge a nickel, to see B western movies called the O brien ,and across the street the Joy. There was a Tony's mirror shine on the same block.The texas theatre on houston, and i believe the fassad is still in tact.ON alamo street 1 block south of houston, a store named H.L greens. Several clothing stores on Houston street in the downtown area where anne landers. three sisters. woolworth, Frost, Charles Mens wear, Pincus, and a store on Houston between main and St.mary's on the south side of a street, a clothing store, worked there in 65, can't remember the name. Does anyone remember this? In the mid 50s was a novelty store on commerce, not sure of last name,,the first name was Nick,,might be Nick teing. run by 4 elderly brothers, Nick, Eddie, ........ That in 1956. Remember playing in a rock and roll band downtown, at a location called the town lounge on commerce near St. Mary's. The first churches chicken was on Market and Alamo, next to a liquor store. Also Rogers Drive In on Main, popular hangout for teens in the 50s and 60s. People congregated there, to visit, hangout , and eat hamburgers. Lots of Mg's and convertibles. Going back even further, on Alamo ,between La Villita and Market, on the west side of the street ,were 2 restaurants. French's Black Cat, and The Owl Cafe. They had thick old style coffee mugs, waiters going in and out of the swinging doors bringing food. Blue plate specials, breakfast specials, made it a very very popular place. Dad used to work at a cleaners across the street, from same Alamo street block, Lobert Cleaners ,close to Paris Hatters. there was a hotel called the 18 hotel, several stories high. A little ways down, on Alamo before St. Mary's was a sporting goods store named Dibbles. Where the Hemispherse is now, the main entrance was Goliad street, going down 4 blocks you would get to a malt shop called the Double Dip. Does anyone remember these place?

Old 07-26-2007, 02:47 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman37 View Post
(Dad wrote this) I remember san antonio old movie theatres in the 50s. The state theatre on main street , where the admission price was 9 cents . The palace theatre on alamo street, across the street from the Alamo.It had a long corridor that went from alamo street to losoya street ,with mirrors on both sides.so you would be infinitely mirrored. There was 2 very small theatres on houston street, they would charge a nickel, to see B western movies called the O brien ,and across the street the Joy. There was a Tony's mirror shine on the same block.The texas theatre on houston, and i believe the fassad is still in tact.ON alamo street 1 block south of houston, a store named H.L greens. Several clothing stores on Houston street in the downtown area where anne landers. three sisters. woolworth, Frost, Charles Mens wear, Pincus, and a store on Houston between main and St.mary's on the south side of a street, a clothing store, worked there in 65, can't remember the name. Does anyone remember this? In the mid 50s was a novelty store on commerce, not sure of last name,,the first name was Nick,,might be Nick teing. run by 4 elderly brothers, Nick, Eddie, ........ That in 1956. Remember playing in a rock and roll band downtown, at a location called the town lounge on commerce near St. Mary's. The first churches chicken was on Market and Alamo, next to a liquor store. Also Rogers Drive In on Main, popular hangout for teens in the 50s and 60s. People congregated there, to visit, hangout , and eat hamburgers. Lots of Mg's and convertibles. Going back even further, on Alamo ,between La Villita and Market, on the west side of the street ,were 2 restaurants. French's Black Cat, and The Owl Cafe. They had thick old style coffee mugs, waiters going in and out of the swinging doors bringing food. Blue plate specials, breakfast specials, made it a very very popular place. Dad used to work at a cleaners across the street, from same Alamo street block, Lobert Cleaners ,close to Paris Hatters. there was a hotel called the 18 hotel, several stories high. A little ways down, on Alamo before St. Mary's was a sporting goods store named Dibbles. Where the Hemispherse is now, the main entrance was Goliad street, going down 4 blocks you would get to a malt shop called the Double Dip. Does anyone remember these place?
I remember some kind of sporting goods store somewhere south of downtown like on St. Marys or S. Presa. Not quite sure. I doubt it was Dibbles since it was after Hemisphere when I went. It must have be around the mid 70's. Anyone know about this?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
Was it Acosta sporting goods?

Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM

58 posts, read 203,381 times
Default blackout

Does anyone remember the San Antonio blackout in the Fall of 1977? I was working at my first job (Dairy Queen on Pleasanton Road) when it happened.

The only way that we knew what was going on was from a redio station (KKYX??) that was not affected by this.

As I recall, the whole city lost power for a few hours, and when finally I went home from work, the power came on.

I remember everyone talking about where they were when the "lights went out".

Is there anyone here old enough to remember this?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Does anyone remember the frosted soda mugs (like beer mugs) they would serve you at Fargo's Pizza?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear-here View Post
Does anyone remember the San Antonio blackout in the Fall of 1977? I was working at my first job (Dairy Queen on Pleasanton Road) when it happened.

The only way that we knew what was going on was from a redio station (KKYX??) that was not affected by this.

As I recall, the whole city lost power for a few hours, and when finally I went home from work, the power came on.

I remember everyone talking about where they were when the "lights went out".

Is there anyone here old enough to remember this?
I totally forgot all about that and I'm old enough to remember it...I have visions of watching something on TV like WKRP in Cincinnati and then the power going out and realizing that it wasn't just our area, but it was the whole city more or less!! I remember that it was still fairly warm outside and we were missing the a/c more than anything!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 PM

141 posts, read 508,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone remember the frosted soda mugs (like beer mugs) they would serve you at Fargo's Pizza?
yes! i remember those awesome mugs! filled to the top with root beer or coke was the best! i miss Fargos Pizza.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:17 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
Bring back Fargo's.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 60,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Also wondering if anyone had any old spurs pictures from the Hemisfair Arena.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 PM

141 posts, read 508,376 times
does anyone remember when the Photon place was here...i think it was where the bowling alley is off of I 10 and dezevala...anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio