Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 27,880 times

Advertisements

Yea good ole Valley Hi and Gateway what a fun neighborhood to grow up in. Those areas were great in the 70's the Valley Hi pool and park the drive-in the Valley Hi mall. All those good places to eat along military between lackland and kelly. Pizza Inn, Griff's burgers, Dairy Queen, Burgerchef and some mexican restaurant I can't remember the name. The old gateway ballpark and community center,the five palms pool. There was also a game room called the cage off of medina base rd for a while. Everyone would just cruise around the neighborhood Knoll Krest and Holm Rd. There was a hole in the fence on Palm Valley where you could sneak into the drive in.Those were the days.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 27,880 times
Does anyone remember a restaurant called the Spanish Galleon I think it was on San Pedro. That and Christies were 2 great places to eat. Did anyone live on Lackland during the early 70's? Does anyone remember hearing about a man that shot his family then himself this took place on Lackland base housing in the late60's or early 70's.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:04 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrogrocks View Post
Does anyone remember a restaurant called the Spanish Galleon I think it was on San Pedro. That and Christies were 2 great places to eat. Did anyone live on Lackland during the early 70's? Does anyone remember hearing about a man that shot his family then himself this took place on Lackland base housing in the late60's or early 70's.
I think Primo and some others have posted some memories of the Spanish Galleon earlier on this board. I remember the big ship stickking out of the building. We ate there once when I was a kid, but can't remember the menu or the food.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:06 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Kirby's and Silo gone, too? When did they close?
I just heard about those two restaurants this week from two different fsources. I haven't checked it out myself, but these guys are usually pretty accurate when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Could have happened, But I don't recall anything like that. I remember Christie's and the Spanish Galleon!!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yea good ole Valley Hi and Gateway what a fun neighborhood to grow up in. Those areas were great in the 70's the Valley Hi pool and park the drive-in the Valley Hi mall. All those good places to eat along military between lackland and kelly. Pizza Inn, Griff's burgers, Dairy Queen, Burgerchef and some mexican restaurant I can't remember the name. The old gateway ballpark and community center,the five palms pool. There was also a game room called the cage off of medina base rd for a while. Everyone would just cruise around the neighborhood Knoll Krest and Holm Rd. There was a hole in the fence on Palm Valley where you could sneak into the drive in.Those were the days.
Yep, remember all or most of those things!! Ran through there a lot in the 70's. I take it you recall the pizza place on the hill on Military was Pizza Inn. I wasn't sure but thought so.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Conan's still has great pizza, in Austin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Yes I think they have 3 locations, I will have to make a trip up there. It would be worth the drive.
Oh yeah, let's go!!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 16,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I just heard about those two restaurants this week from two different sources. I haven't checked it out myself, but these guys are usually pretty accurate when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Kirby's is not closing. I worked a very busy shift last night. It is so odd how rumors start, I have heard that servers in other restaurants tell people we are closing which I suppose is either competition or bitter former servers but it is odd none the less. I would honestly say that unless the sources are from our managers or our owners themselves, then the rumors are unfounded.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Looks like Reggiano's, Silo, and Kirby's Steakhouse are all now gone but not forgotten on 1604. And my old hangout of course, Tom's Ribs.
Verify your sources before you post. Reggianos and Tom's Ribs are the only 2 places that have closed. Both Silo and Kirby's were open this past weekend.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 AM

139 posts, read 504,498 times
G, Were you telling us, a Whopper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio