Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
it was my non-english speaking father and recent migrant farmworker who beat city hall in 1966. they had a surveyor come out and survey the land, come to find out that small crossway was our driveway. the city of course denied anything and continued business as usual until one day my father fenced off the street with cyclone fencing and concrete posts.

he eventually won. we still have the news articles.
AH! So it's blocked where it hits Phyllis? Is it still the barrier he put up? You don't think the city would ever fess up on a issue like that, do you?? What did speaking english or not speaking it have to do with it. Sounds like a simple legal matter. The city would need a beating by lawyers in any case. Bravo, the little guy wins again!!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I remember Bob's Den, over off Rigsby and Roland. It changed to Bob's Smokehouse and after Bob's death just The Smokehouse. Don't tell me it is gone altogether now. That's just too much bad news in a single decade.

The only other place I am aware of around the Pecan Valley area is Snoga's...but I have only been there once back in the 80's and was not overly impressed at the time.
The Smokehouse (formerly Bob's Smokehouse) is still there and operating. Actually WOAI TV just did a piece on it on Labor Day. They were doing some kind of Bar BQ across Texas or something. They had a camera crew and reporter out there sampling the various meats. They said that they cooked their briskets for 20 hours.

It's located at the intersection of Roland and Rigsby.

Last edited by SnappyBob; 09-03-2008 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Added location.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

22 posts, read 83,556 times
Default Texas League Teams

Someone earlier asked a question about the Texas League teams of the fifties. I think this list is pretty complete.

Ft Worth Cats
Dallas Eagles 46-57 Rangers in 58
Austin Senators
San Antonio Missions
Houston Buffs
Beaumont Roughnecks 46-54 then Explorers in 55
Oklahoma City Indians 46-57
Tulsa Drillers
Amarillo Gold Sox 59-63
Corpus Christi Giants 58-59
Shreveport Sports 25-57
Victoria Rosebuds 58-61

Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,546,636 times
One thing that is unique about San Antonio is that we call Convience Stores,Ice Houses. I remember Lone Star Ice and Food Store so what is so weird about calling it an Ice House? Most of those places sold block's of ice. You can still find them if you look. I was getting a flat fixed at Hector's Tire shop on Marbach and noticed that it had an old block ice door. It was probably a Lone Star or something like that at one time. The building next to the Taco Cabana on Hildebrand and San Pedro is the same last time I looked. When I was a kid my dad would always buy block's of ice. He had a metal ice chest that I think advertised Pearl Beer. It had an ice pick and and a bottle opener in the door. We alway's took block ice when we went fishing.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,161 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post

I just looked at the phone listings Mudpuddle listed
and there was no Handy Andy anywhere near New Braunfels and E Houston.

i MUST BE LOSING MY MIND!
easy there Dwangle.

pay close attention to Handy Andy #19 below.

You are probably talking about my 1936 SWB scan.

mud............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Will, I doubt there were ever 51.

Below, two scans from the 1976 Polk's City Directory.....

30 listed at that time,
#33 being the newest.
(side note, HEB also has 30 listed in this directory)

I think there was some discussion of the chain of command also....

mud...........

Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
AH! So it's blocked where it hits Phyllis? Is it still the barrier he put up? You don't think the city would ever fess up on a issue like that, do you?? What did speaking english or not speaking it have to do with it. Sounds like a simple legal matter. The city would need a beating by lawyers in any case. Bravo, the little guy wins again!!
it was blocked back then. the city was fighting it because it had been a street for over 30years and i suppose they were trying for squatters rights. in 1966 is was a major feat for a spanish speaking person with a 3 rd grade education to win such a case. the city used to allow city police to pull over, harrass, and ticket my mom and dad at the time. they never backed down

Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 AM

64 posts, read 431,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabride View Post
Someone earlier asked a question about the Texas League teams of the fifties. I think this list is pretty complete.

Ft Worth Cats
Dallas Eagles 46-57 Rangers in 58
Austin Senators
San Antonio Missions
Houston Buffs
Beaumont Roughnecks 46-54 then Explorers in 55
Oklahoma City Indians 46-57
Tulsa Drillers
Amarillo Gold Sox 59-63
Corpus Christi Giants 58-59
Shreveport Sports 25-57
Victoria Rosebuds 58-61
I was the one who asked, and I have to admit your list is more complete than mine. Mine was for a more limited time period, and did not include Austin, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, or Victoria.

Also, I remember Tulsa as the Oilers rather than the Drillers.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM

35 posts, read 111,770 times
Default Watermelon stands

Quote:
I lived on the southside so that's where my memories are. Yes in the 50's possibly even early 60's there was such a place. On Pleasanton road around the block from my grandparents home. There was a house that set back in a deep lot. Out close to the road they they had a little covered contraption. It was a big tank full of ice and watermelons. They'd give you a sample plug and you'd pick your melon. They may have sold slices and had tables. It was there many years with a sign on it.
I can haven't been on for months but looking back a little way I see a thread about watermelon stands and it brings back the memory of the one that was located I think just south of the old Handy Andy on S.Presa... and I'm talking about before they rebuilt Handy Andy using the space in the parking lot of the old wooden floored Handy Andy that was there. The Watermelon stand was called Orvilles and it had long wooden picnic tables where one could buy a slice of black diamond watermelon and sit and eat it at the tables. I was a little kid in the early 50's but I remember walking there with my parents. Later in 1959 my very first job was at the old Handy Andy sacking groceries when I was fourteen years old. The other interesting thing about Orvilles was that one could access it from St. Marys or S. Presa because it was located between the two streets.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
I was the one who asked, and I have to admit your list is more complete than mine. Mine was for a more limited time period, and did not include Austin, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, or Victoria.

Also, I remember Tulsa as the Oilers rather than the Drillers.
If you guys/gals run across any photos of the old Mission Stadium on Mission Road please post them!! Big names that played there? Think Babe Ruth played here.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:15 PM

136 posts, read 332,046 times
Quote:
If you guys/gals run across any photos of the old Mission Stadium on Mission Road please post them!! Big names that played there? Think Babe Ruth played here.
Go to : www.astroland.net/64%20sabullets.html

Has a whole spread on the San Antonio Bullets and a picture of the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio