Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 PM

64 posts, read 431,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
School bells ringing, children singing:
"It's back to Robert Hall again"
Mother knows for better clothes,
"It's back to Robert Hall again"
You'll save more on clothes for school..shop at Robert Hall!
Gee, that's great. But what I remember best was a constant beating of the drum about Robert Hall's LOW OVERHEAD.

But I was able to find this commercial from the '50s, which makes no mention of either Mother or Low Overhead:

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/2...ing-store.html

Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 AM

50 posts, read 168,848 times
Default Lone Star Icehouses vanished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
One thing that is unique about San Antonio is that we call Convience Stores,Ice Houses. I remember Lone Star Ice and Food Store so what is so weird about calling it an Ice House? Most of those places sold block's of ice. You can still find them if you look. I was getting a flat fixed at Hector's Tire shop on Marbach and noticed that it had an old block ice door. It was probably a Lone Star or something like that at one time. The building next to the Taco Cabana on Hildebrand and San Pedro is the same last time I looked. When I was a kid my dad would always buy block's of ice. He had a metal ice chest that I think advertised Pearl Beer. It had an ice pick and and a bottle opener in the door. We alway's took block ice when we went fishing.
When did Lone Star sell out and to which convenience store chain did they sell out? Most of the locations I remember are something entirely different now.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:22 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,357 times
we will be honoring a texas blues legend tonight at Palm Heights Rec Center on 1201 W. Malone at 7pm. the family of Randy Garibay Jr. will be accepting his award for his contribution to the arts and community. It is free and we will have refreshments.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Default Jack In the Box

I noticed they have been remodeling several of the Jack in the Box's around town. As far as I can remember the one on Vance Jackson and Moss Rock...has been there forever...all the way back to the Handy Dan days. That location has never changed...until this morning. It is completely gutted with a bobcat sitting in the dining area this morning. Anyone remember when Jack in the Box came to town?

Along those lines. With Carls Jr coming back to town...anyone remember the exact year or years that Carls Jr was in town. I remember them being here in early 80s, and then several of those locations became Burger King when they first came to town.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
Jack in the Box came to SA in about 1968-1970 as far as I can recollect.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 AM

141 posts, read 508,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I noticed they have been remodeling several of the Jack in the Box's around town. As far as I can remember the one on Vance Jackson and Moss Rock...has been there forever...all the way back to the Handy Dan days. That location has never changed...until this morning. It is completely gutted with a bobcat sitting in the dining area this morning. Anyone remember when Jack in the Box came to town?

Along those lines. With Carls Jr coming back to town...anyone remember the exact year or years that Carls Jr was in town. I remember them being here in early 80s, and then several of those locations became Burger King when they first came to town.
i remember Carl's Jr being in SA around '83-'84 and the one i remember was on the southside, i want to say out near 37. i prefered them to BK, but when they left BK was the only place to get "charbroiled" burgers.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,423 times
My 1984-85 San Antonio kriss-kross directory lists 5 Carl's Jr locations:

8296 Marbach
4351 Thousand Oaks
6903 Ingram
211 SW Military
6867 W Highway 90

The Ingram location was the one I visited. The location coming soon at Nacogdoches and O'Connor is on my route to work, so I get to check for the grand opening just about every day.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
My 1984-85 San Antonio kriss-kross directory lists 5 Carl's Jr locations:

8296 Marbach
4351 Thousand Oaks
6903 Ingram
211 SW Military
6867 W Highway 90

The Ingram location was the one I visited. The location coming soon at Nacogdoches and O'Connor is on my route to work, so I get to check for the grand opening just about every day.
That can't be all of them? I remember one on the corner of West Ave and Blanco...that one became a burger king and is now closed. I also think where Fredericksburg meets I-10...that also became a burger king

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,423 times
I looked up those intersections in the street section of the 84-85 directory and there were GW Jrs at those locations at that time. Those addresses are 11619 West Avenue and 4512 Fredericksburg.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post

Not sure WHEN they came....but we were stationed at Randolph in the 60's and would drive all the way to Wonderland Mall and always stopped at the Jack in the Box on Fred Rd. The building is still there....forgot what it is now.
I remember being fascinated by their "secret sauce"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio