Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Go to : www.astroland.net/64%20sabullets.html

Has a whole spread on the San Antonio Bullets and a picture of the stadium.
Thanks Bossrider, think I've seen this one. Wished the shot was wider. But I'd really like a shot of the entrance and marquee such as it was. Someone's bound to have photos of it.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 AM

64 posts, read 431,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
If you guys/gals run across any photos of the old Mission Stadium on Mission Road please post them!! Big names that played there? Think Babe Ruth played here.
I don't think we have any pictures of Mission Stadium. As for Babe Ruth, I play bridge with a guy who saw Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb play - this guy grew up in Washington, DC and used to watch the Senators. When I say WOW about seeing those superstars in person, he says "Well, I was just a little kid then."

Old 09-05-2008, 06:20 AM

64 posts, read 431,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Go to : www.astroland.net/64%20sabullets.html

Has a whole spread on the San Antonio Bullets and a picture of the stadium.
Thanks, Boss Rider. That's great.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM

22 posts, read 83,551 times
Default Tulsa Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
I was the one who asked, and I have to admit your list is more complete than mine. Mine was for a more limited time period, and did not include Austin, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, or Victoria.

Also, I remember Tulsa as the Oilers rather than the Drillers.
You are right they were the Oilers from 1932-1965 when they moved to New Orleans. In fact the 1932 team is on the top 100 teams of all time list on MLB.com.
Thanks for clarifying my mistake.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM

37 posts, read 126,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
QUOTE:
Didn't go through all the hundreds of pages so don't know if it's been discussed (and I couldn't search bc I don't recall the name) but there used to be a wonderful BBQ joint owned by a couple of older African American sisters. This was in the early 80s, so I was a kid, but I seem to remember it being in the back of their house or something quite simple like that but it was quite popular and the BBQ was exquisite!
---------------------

It was unofficially called the "Miller Sisters BBQ" (no relation to Bill Miller BBQ) and their house was on either Ruiz or Rivas street near downtown. I used to go there back in the mid 80's. It was a residential house that had a cinder block building in the backyard that was a small restaurant. You would just park in the street and walk up the driveway. There were three sisters and then one time I went they said one of them had died. I remember one of their names was Bernice.. maybe another was Mabel? They were the nicest little old ladies and it was really cool to talk to them because they had been in business since the 1940's. They always baked peach cobbler for dessert. There was a guest book that you could sign and the names in there was a "who's who" of San Antonio. After becoming a regular there they would sometimes invite me into their actual house. I remembe they had several of the old "Kit Kat" wall clocks in their kitchen. I'm sure they are all long dead now- I've often wanted to try to find the house to see what it looks like today. I hadn't thought of that place in years- thanks for the memory.
Thank YOU! I can picture walking up that driveway to the "restaurant". It's funny of all the memories I had as a child, that this one would be so vivid.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 AM

57 posts, read 219,480 times
Dan Cook
The San Antonio Light

Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 8,131 times
Wow I drive under that underpass everyday!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 AM

Wow, so Houston lost the Oilers twice? Once to NOLA and once to Nashville? Lol thats crazy

Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Dont forget Pig Stand! I have my breakfast there every morning. Now, the original family heir-owner thought he could have a country singing career and wasted all the company money and even left the employees unpaid for a couple months. The manager bought out the company and reopened the last remaining location on Broadway about two years ago, so it is now Mary Ann's Pig Stand.
Earl Abels had to move to Austin Hwy, in a very bad business spot. We will see how long they last there. Im sure Blanco Cafe has also been open since around the 30's.
Not sure what else, bubt there has to be more.
Luby's is barely alive these days.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 AM

237 posts, read 851,514 times
Maury Maverick Huey, jr. is the longtime owner of the Hung Fong Restaurant which has been in business at 3624 Broadway under that name since 1945/'46. It was begun by his grandfather in 1938 as the Blue Bird Cafe, then the Shanghai thru WW II. Mr. Huey took Maury Maverick's name when attorney and former mayor M M Maverick, sr. helped him gain his citizenship. It was Maury Maverick, sr.'s grandfather Sam who gave us the term maverick meaning a stray or someone who dances to his own drummer.

Last edited by BudB; 09-07-2008 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: to correct wrong word choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio