Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 01:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Man oh man. That listing for Howell Red & White Store at 5701 S. Flores ... Folks, Mr. and Mrs. Howell were two of the loveliest old couples in the world. That was a true old mom and pop operation. When my older brothers and sisters and me would all walk together to the Harlandale theater, see the serials and then head back home, we would stop at Mr. Howell's. He would sometimes call our house to check with mom and make sure it was alright to put some ice creams, or 6 oz. cokes, or nickel candy bars on the "tab". What wonderful times, people, and memories. Thanks for the tickle!. I guess they closed up shop around 1956 or so.
Hey Joe, thought of you when I saw this post. Glad you found it! The old Winn's was previously a Handy Andy!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Speaking of Joe "Kingpin" Carrasco, (the druglord) he met his demise at the Apartments there at Babcock and Callaghan. The Royal Arms? I can't remember what they were called.

The above is totally wrong. I must have just dreamed this or too small when it became a memory. Anyway the Kingpin was Fred Carrasco and he met his demise somewhere else.

"El Tejas Motel" Roosevelt and Southcross. Where he was caught at one point?

Last edited by SATX56; 08-25-2008 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Oh my, I remember those tennis shoes from Gibsons! They were my favorites! We called them track shoes, but I didn't realize that was the brand or style name.

Solo Serve was like a family outing that just dragged on. I remember the long lines to try on clothes and the long lines in the check outs.

As for the ABC Pest Control jingle, I'm glad I'm not the only one that can still sing it! I've heard their new jingle, but it's not the same one as the old one.
The old one was something like:

"If you have roaches in the kitchen, spiders in the attic,
the termites ate his golf clubs and your husband says he's had it.
The moths got in the closet and they ate your new mink stole,
for quick and curtious service, call ABC Pest Control......
ABC will do the job when bugs are all about.
If you invite us into your home, the bugs will all move out.
We'll find each insect guilty and we'll grant them no parole.
For fast efficient service call ABC Pest Control."

Not real sure about the last line, though. Maybe irnag can correct my memory mistakes!!

As for the Globe Shopping City jingle, it was something like

"Globe Shopping City has everything under the sun.
Savings, plus parking every day for everyone.
Easy to get there, with bargains galore.
Globe Shopping City where you always save more."

Geeze, I did watch too much TV back then!
Same goes for the old Globe Shopping City jingle.

Remember when Handy Andy had those signs on the doors that stated, "Closed Sunday, see you in church"?

Anyone remember when E. Southcross by McCreless (a.k.a. "Big M") was called Dautry or Daughtry Road? My uncle used to pronounce it "Dau-shee", so I don't know the exact name. I think it was between McCreless and Goliad.

What about the bird cages on the street level of Joske's? And the candy counter with the chocolate covered crickets and ants. That was too much!
Dauchy road extended from S. Presa on up the hill to McCreless. Not sure if further either way. Tennesee , Pacific and Dauchy were combined to form Southcross.

Who remembers Metzger's milk??

Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,161 times
Quote:
originally posted by irnag
speaking of joe "kingpin" carrasco, (the druglord) he met his demise at the apartments there at babcock and callaghan. The royal arms? I can't remember what they were called.

The above is totally wrong. I must have just dreamed this or too small when it became a memory. Anyway the kingpin was fred carrasco and he met his demise somewhere else.
Fred Gomez Carrasco met his demise
at the end of an eleven day siege at HuntsVille Texas.

Someone smuggled guns in to him, (1974 I believe it was),
And he and two other inmates took hostages
and barricaded themselves in the library.

They built a rolling cage out of chalkboards lined with books for bulletproofing.

An armored car was waiting outside,
and the plan was to roll out to it and escape.

Some of the hostages were tied to the outside of the cage,
and three hostages were inside with the three inmates.

The inside hostages had shotgun barrels tied to their necks
in case the animals were shot, the hostages would go too.

The ending was ugly.

As soon as they rolled outside,
the warden had firehouses blast the cage.

Several hostages died.

One inmate was killed by the authorities.
One of the animals survived, and, a few years later,
got to sit in Old Sparky.

Carrasco killed himself inside the cage rather than face the music.

mud

Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 PM

789 posts, read 640,794 times
Anyone remember the old ice cream men that wore
suit and tie with black polished shoes and actually
watched the children to make sure they didn't get
hit by flying cars? They also respectfully turned down
the music when stopped. I think it was called Tiners?
7 cents popcicles!? wow! I don't remember this, I'm 23,
but my uncle was telling
me about it, and it sure sounds nicer than what we've
got around here. Heck, everything from the "good ol' days"
that I hear about sounds better especially gas prices...I think the
cheapest I remember ever seeing was like $1 somethin' a gal.
I know most on here that are reminiscing about gone but
not forgotten things are a little older than me and it may
sound insignificant, but I miss Krogers and Albertsons.
I remember growing up and always going shopping with my
mom and my nana before she passed away and it seemed like everyone knew us by our names, the guy or girl at the bakery would always give me a free cookie, the manager would stop US to say hi...Now I'm happy if a cashier smiles at me, or says "hi", or "thank you", or "have a nice day" is even cooler. just sharing....

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,140,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
James Bicycle. way back when, mud
Dang, bought my first ten speed on lay-a-way there, in 1971. An orange, french, Gitane`. Got stolen in '81 off Ashby by SAC in '82

Old 08-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Dang, bought my first ten speed on lay-a-way there, in 1971. An orange, french, Gitane`. Got stolen in '81 off Ashby by SAC in '82
Wow! Hootie Tootie!! 10 speed? Join the crowd buddy, had about four 20 inch er's stolen on the southside. Yep, I remember those bikes and they're not forgotten.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM

55 posts, read 138,024 times
Kittywoman I well remember the Tiner's ice cream trucks. We kids could hear that strained music a block away. Several of us would quickly run to our parents and BEG for the seven cents or whatever it was. Once the change was in hand, the excitement of seeing the blue and white truck TURN ONTO OUR STREET was almost too much to bear!!! Usually the adult who gave us the money would also manage to put in an order for himself/herself .... the orange colored "dreamsicle" with vanilla ice cream inside was the usual weapon of choice for adults on our street. And yes, the driver's did have some responsibility for keeping the kids out of harm's way.. I'm sure company policy saw to that. By the way, James bike shop was still open for business downtown the last time I looked. Going in there was also a trip back in time... the old inventory stretched way, way back.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 AM

I did not know about the old Winn's being a Handy Andy...man that change has to go back to around 1950 or so. I bought my one and only BB gun from Western Auto nearby.. about 1957. Swept out floors and saved all I could... saved up seven dollars and change to buy that gun. One of the proudest moments in my life was walking out of that store with a still boxed BB gun that I had bought myself. I was 9 or 10 and the world looked bright and shiney at that point.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 AM

Mudpuddle you have your facts correct. And SATX56 you are correct that he was captured at the old Tejas Motel at Roosevelt and Southcross. These guys were animals, no doubt, but the steps they took in planning an escape was amazing. I am surprised that more was not made of the attempted feat. Using water hoses on such armed men, I have to question. Too many hostages died. Hindsight is 20/20 so I will leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio