Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
The one near Tesoro is the Original Fuddruckers, and is way cool.
and back in the day they had a shoeshine stand.... and an icecream section with bluebell ( when good icecream was exotic)
..... they also had sides of beef off to the side and butchered thier own meat..( and ground their own hot dogs( 2 to a homemade bun !!))
the only non country record o the jukebox was revolution" by the Beatles...
so my bro' and me took our quarters and dumped them in for that ( btw . we liked country too......just liked to see people jump because it was times as loud as anything else...)

Old 06-09-2008, 05:39 AM

Default christy's ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
What was that great seafood restaurant in close proximity to Naples? Too bad about Karam's. I think the children just want the money.
is christy's where you were thinking of ?
sad and now long gone. was a regular there.......

Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 AM

Default I was there

And who can forget the year KENS was broadcasting the Battle of Flowres parade live and then there were gunshots on Broadway Street, with Gary DeLaune running for cover AND still doing his commentary...but not on the parade, but on the gunfire! I don't think I'll ever forget it.....first time I had not been on Broadway watching the parade......everything happens for a reason!!![/quote]

Ira atterberry or some such. I was on the pearl brewery grounds as a TMI kid. we were marching in front of the floats.. except that year we were running for cover !

and the duchess were ripping out of thier dresses that were stapled to the floats!

I mean we wanted to run for cover.. but we wanted to stay too.. the powers that be got us under cove VERY quickly......

Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 AM

22 posts, read 57,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Good Call! I totally forgot about that! I guess that isn't there anymore? I remember being so scared going across that, I thought the car would be washed away.

It is still there blocked off from driving through behind the train station near the zoo . does anyone remember the sky ride ?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 AM

I miss shakeys

Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 AM

There was a great Chinese restraunt asia house in a little building at the south end of the parking lot in late 1960's - 70's. it moved across from north star mall - a chinese restraunt is there still - anyone know if it is the same family?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Yes, it was the Quadrangle without a doubt - a family friend built it in the 70's (Jim Dement), he also built the apartment complex next to it (named The Quadrangle as well, now called something else, I forget what though), and the old Tesoro building, as well as a ton of other stuff in the general area. The mini-mall building is still there. Maybe you could sneak in and see if the skating rink is still around? BTW, that mall was a dud from day one, he lost a fortune on it.

Weird this, but I randomly met the ol' fella that owned the Baskin Robbins (well both actually, they had 2 in Wonderland at one time, which I found pretty odd) in Wonderland the other day, nice guy - looked just like Colonal Sanders!
The rink is gone they dug it up bin the late 70's , my mom droped me off for a lesson and they were tearing it up with jackhammers . I was like 12 and had to wait for her to come back - no cell phones then .

Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonerck View Post
And who can forget the year KENS was broadcasting the Battle of Flowres parade live and then there were gunshots on Broadway Street, with Gary DeLaune running for cover AND still doing his commentary...but not on the parade, but on the gunfire! I don't think I'll ever forget it.....first time I had not been on Broadway watching the parade......everything happens for a reason

Ira atterberry or some such. I was on the pearl brewery grounds as a TMI kid. we were marching in front of the floats.. except that year we were running for cover !

and the duchess were ripping out of thier dresses that were stapled to the floats!

I mean we wanted to run for cover.. but we wanted to stay too.. the powers that be got us under cove VERY quickly......
I remember being at Windsor Park mall when it happened. Everyone was crowded around the TV department at JC Penny, watching the story unfold. All activity at the mall stopped..EVERYONE was watching the TVs in disbelief.
Another interesting factoid. There was a lady that was hit in the ankle by a bullet, I believe it richochetted off the pavement. Turns out she lives right around the corner from my parents in Colonies North. We didn't find this out till about 5 years ago.

That is another thing that is GBNF in SA...only breaking into regular programming with a special report when something REALLY serious happened. Nowadays..they have "breaking news" when someone gets a hangnail or a 4th grader gets a D on his report card.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 19,133 times
I have seen a few posts here about old hobby shops, so here are two that we'll see if anyone remembers:

1) Cess and Ronnies - it was located on McCullough Ave., I believe in Olmos Park. It was on the left side of the street inbound, and was in an old house. They carried a ton of plastic model kits, trains, etc. There was even a train that circled the shop outside that I think was large enough for small kids to ride. I remember the couple who owned it being old when I was a kid in the late '60's and early '70's. I have not been in that part of town is ages, so don't know if the house is still there or not.

2) This one is really strange, and I can't recall the name, but there was a radiator repair shop on the corner of I10 and Fred. Rd. (SE corner insode of I10 I recall) who's owner must have been big into model kits and toys. There were a bunch of glass cases around the shop with all sorts of old toys in them, and they sold some of them, and model kits and repaired radiators. It was one of the most bizarre combination of things that I have ever seen. I can't imagine that it's still there, and wish I could remember the name.

Anyone remember these?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwideglide View Post
I have seen a few posts here about old hobby shops, so here are two that we'll see if anyone remembers:

1) Cess and Ronnies - it was located on McCullough Ave., I believe in Olmos Park. It was on the left side of the street inbound, and was in an old house. They carried a ton of plastic model kits, trains, etc. There was even a train that circled the shop outside that I think was large enough for small kids to ride. I remember the couple who owned it being old when I was a kid in the late '60's and early '70's. I have not been in that part of town is ages, so don't know if the house is still there or not.

2) This one is really strange, and I can't recall the name, but there was a radiator repair shop on the corner of I10 and Fred. Rd. (SE corner insode of I10 I recall) who's owner must have been big into model kits and toys. There were a bunch of glass cases around the shop with all sorts of old toys in them, and they sold some of them, and model kits and repaired radiators. It was one of the most bizarre combination of things that I have ever seen. I can't imagine that it's still there, and wish I could remember the name.

Anyone remember these?
Could that have been Rebel Hobby? I know they've been around a long time and have moved from place to place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio