Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2006, 11:55 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,195 times

Advertisements

I'm directing this to 210, who seems to know everything about San Antonio, and Highland Hills in particular...but if anyone else can help me, I'd be most grateful.

Now this is gonna be really really obscure, but it's worth a shot. Recently, I stumbled across an eBay auction for a pretty rare old 1958 MCM (aka Mid Century Modern) residential architecture book that features 3 San Antonio residences that would seem to be built in the "Case Study Houses" look. 1 designed by the architectural firm of Cocke, Bowman & York, the 2nd by Keppel O. Small, and the 3rd by Milton Ryan. Now, when I found the auction, it was already over, which just hacks me to no end (at least I won the O'Neil Ford book though, whew).

Now the first two houses look to be financed by G.S. McCreless, which leads me to believe they're somewhere in the Highland Hills area, which is an area I'm fairly unfamilar with.

Well, I have no pictures to go by, so it looks like I'll be scouring that area on my easter egg hunt. So by chance, a longshot here, would you happen to know of any MCM's that just scream out in that neighborhood that may be these very homes? If not, do you know what streets border this subdivision so I can start my hunt?

I've found all the Milton Ryans in my area quite easily (Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, etc., half have been torn down though it seems, and the others in jeopardy of becoming future McMansions...drat!), but I'm dying to find these other MCM's in Highland Hills (if they are in fact even there, as I'm just assuming this really, since ol' G.S. seemed to pretty much build that area single-handedly). Have I somehow missed an MCM mecca in my own backyard? And I thought I knew this city like the back of my hand (well, 87% at least ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 12:12 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
You might wanna check out the Pecan Valley area on the southeast side.

Besides the mall named after him, McCreless had a lot of real estate in that area with medical offices, etc. He still lives in that area.

If you want to see the homes in person, you can get their one of two ways.

1) 37 to Southcross Blvd. Take SXB east until you hit Pecan Valley Dr. Turn left on PVD and when you hit Golf View Dr. turn left. The homes should be along that street and in that area.

2. Take 410 to Southcross Blvd. Take SXB west until you hit Pecan Valley Dr. Turn right until you hit Golf View Dr. Turn left.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:35 PM

Thanks a million for the info, looks like I'll be house-hunting today. Always fun exploring previously uncharted territory.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:05 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
You might wanna check out the Pecan Valley area on the southeast side.
Is the southeast side a good part of town 210?

Keep us posted on those MCMs googie2525.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 PM

I did a quick drive through of Golf View yesterday, I was in a rush though, but there was one really cool MCM on a small hill that I was drooling over. Overall, looks like a typical 1950's tract ranch kinda area, but, like I say, I was in a rush. I'll be scouring this area soon with a fine tooth comb. I'll keep you posted Noljos. Related, I'll be searching for some old articles on Milton Ryan at the library tomorrow, maybe I'll find an untouched work of his in some obscure area (i.e. cheap) of SA - a boy can dream.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I did a quick drive through of Golf View yesterday, I was in a rush though, but there was one really cool MCM on a small hill that I was drooling over. Overall, looks like a typical 1950's tract ranch kinda area, but, like I say, I was in a rush. I'll be scouring this area soon with a fine tooth comb. I'll keep you posted Noljos. Related, I'll be searching for some old articles on Milton Ryan at the library tomorrow, maybe I'll find an untouched work of his in some obscure area (i.e. cheap) of SA - a boy can dream.
Great! I'm so anxious to hear of more areas with these types of homes. Don't forget pics if you can. Cheers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio