Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:30 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, the begonias and geraniums in red are WONDERFUL splashes of color....the boston and asparagas ferns do well also on the patio where they get indirect sun...they love the humidity here as long as they are not getting burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times
Well, after living here for a year now I've found a few favorites. Since we moved into our house in June, I did not end up planting annuals til fall. We also planted some perennials in pots with some success...and some without success (yet!). Love the Bird of Pardise; Lantana...easy; Plumbago..easy; Esperenza...nice; got some stuff in my pots I can't even remember what they are! One bouggie survived the winter; one croaked; as far as annuals go, my snapdragons are the bomb!! Bloomed all winter and are still going crazy...also the pansies. Know I will have to replace both of those soon with something heat and drought tolerant.

I've found my favorite place (at least one that's close to me) is the Garden Center on Bandera. I prefer that over Rainbow. Only two of my perennails (one, the aforesaid bouganvelia) didn't overwinter; the other was a trumpet flower of some kind. We planted about 25-30 pots of various plants last fall, and about 20 in ground (not counting my 50 something snapdragons).

That's my update so far!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Esperanza works well in the ground here. If you want it to bloom more often, pick the "green beans" as soon as they appear.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I second Rainbow nursery- they are very helpful and friendly. Laid back and great selection. Shade of Green is pretty, but has MAJOR snotty attitude.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
LOVE both Rainbow (I'm more familiar with the Thousand Oaks location) and The Garden Center on Bandera.

I ALWAYS end up overbuying

Right now, I'm looking for pink Guara...does well for me, and I would like another "clump"

Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I went to Arbolito's on the SS (they have three locations I believe) and they were very helpful. I am almost done with my front yard.
http://www.arbolitosnursery.com/aboutus.html

Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Well, after living here for a year now I've found a few favorites. Since we moved into our house in June, I did not end up planting annuals til fall. We also planted some perennials in pots with some success...and some without success (yet!). Love the Bird of Pardise; Lantana...easy; Plumbago..easy; Esperenza...nice; got some stuff in my pots I can't even remember what they are! One bouggie survived the winter; one croaked; as far as annuals go, my snapdragons are the bomb!! Bloomed all winter and are still going crazy...also the pansies. Know I will have to replace both of those soon with something heat and drought tolerant.

I've found my favorite place (at least one that's close to me) is the Garden Center on Bandera. I prefer that over Rainbow. Only two of my perennails (one, the aforesaid bouganvelia) didn't overwinter; the other was a trumpet flower of some kind. We planted about 25-30 pots of various plants last fall, and about 20 in ground (not counting my 50 something snapdragons).

That's my update so far!
I got snapdragons at the Garden Center a few weeks back for something crazy like $1 a pack!!! That's really good! I love that place...my son and I like to go and look at the flowers. I also really like the HEB Outdoors garden center at the HEB Plus. You can find some awesome deals.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 PM

53 posts, read 134,197 times
I like queen palms. Also just put mulch everwhere, I wish San Antonio had more palms planted around town. We seem to have the right weather for them to grow. Ex: North Star Mall

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,551 times
Don't be too afraid of planting during the hot as all howdy months of June and July. I move here and wanted to plant and so I did. I literally ordered a BUNCH of bare root roses (David Austins mostly) in May and June (when most places won't normally send them but they did), soaked the roots in water for a week and potted them up. By July they were well seated so I planted them in ground. In like 90+ degree weather. I mulched and watered them well and by the end of summer they were a good 4-5 feet tall. 2 years later I don't even protect them during freezes and these suckers are a good 8 feet high. BTW, they say roses like full sun but they don' really mean full Texas sun. The roses I have growing in the shade do the best. I no longer follow all the gardening rules since my garden seems to break all of them. Try planting in summer, just mulch and water well.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satbah7 View Post
I like queen palms. Also just put mulch everwhere, I wish San Antonio had more palms planted around town. We seem to have the right weather for them to grow. Ex: North Star Mall
I wished more people took care of their palms here. It does get a little difficult with our hard freezes in the winter... but it's sad to see all the brown on the leaves nearly year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio