Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM

13 posts, read 8,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I'm almost 60, female, and I live just south of Blue Star. I used to live in the northeast (DC, NYC area) and I badly miss the walkability of that part of the country. If I were to move, I would seriously consider Alamo Heights (within walking distance of Central Market) or the Quarry area. Those are the only areas I can think of in SA where you can get a lot done on foot, it's enjoyable to walk, and it wouldn't suck too badly to not have a car. I like to cook, so I'm focused on access to good grocery stores.

To me, downtown and Southtown is just bars, restaurants, and art galleries. There's a place for that, but you definitely need to drive if you want to see a movie or drop off your dry cleaning or buy pretty much anything required for daily life -- a stapler, socks, light bulbs, batteries, a toothbrush, a phone charging cable, a screwdriver, a bottle of aspirin. The new HEB helps, but (sad to say) I'd be happy to have a CVS in the neighborhood.
Thank you for all the info, and I will take a look again, and check out the areas. I want to be as sure as possible when I move, that it will be a place I have access to the things I love most I love to cook as well and produce plus all other types of eats, are important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
I also agree with Southtown's walkability. It still sucks. Infrastructure is weak.

We need to focus less on attracting people to visit the neighborhood and more people to live here: Perhaps then it will ensure developers move to give us the daily things we need (and a wider variety at that).
This makes good sense to me. Areas that focus on tourism can leave the home-folks high and dry. I watched a video on the area and it was totally into tourism, didn't talk about the folks that live there at all, and how they like it etc.

One thing for sure, I have a lot to consider before I actually sign on the dotted line, so to speak. I'm grateful for the chance to actually talk to residence of the area

Old 07-07-2017, 01:01 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal71 View Post
I don't have a dog, Chaka, and may try some evening walks eventually. I will be taking those precautions, and I already take them even during the day if I am alone.

I really appreciate your post because being a woman, I think many still think (and it's sometimes true) that we are easier targets. I really don't want to miss out on evening walks so I'll do what I have to, to at least, feel safe

I did check my subscription here and I am still not getting my "alerts". I'm sure it's somehow on my "settings" but I'll look again today. I haven't been online much anyway because of a bad case of bronchitus, and it started out with a flu like feeling. I'm on the mend now, and was out and about walking. That's what I look forward to most, more sights to see
May I suggest you go get your CHL and are an older female without a dog? Hopefully you never need it, but better to be safe...than to just "feel" safe. At the very least, you'd have a better chance of surviving an attack.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
May I suggest you go get your CHL and are an older female without a dog? Hopefully you never need it, but better to be safe...than to just "feel" safe. At the very least, you'd have a better chance of surviving an attack.
Is the CHL some sort of license, like for a concealed weapon? I'm guessing that's it, and I have thought about it for sure.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,723 times
I used to attend the Fiesta parades, carnivals, Hemisfair fireworks and plays.
Also the river art shows, market square, Witte Museum.
Having Easter at Brackenridge Park or dining at Shilohs, Morton’s Steakhouse,
Casa Rio, Christies Seafood on Broadway, Mi Tierra, going to the Witte Museum,
the missions on the Southside or the Lone Star Brewery.

Getting up at dawn before the traffic starts. I love the smell of early mornings.
Driving at a snail pace to go to small towns with the old buildings from the past
that I love. Taking a food basket or dining at a small local diner out of town.

Going to the Guadalupe during the off season when it’s
not too crowded. Taking photos or my oil paints to capture what’s left of the
wilderness or country side.

But now retired, I seldom go.
I blame the weather or that things have changed, I don’t know.
But reading this thread, I’m thinking of going out again like I used to.
Soon as it cools down!

Last edited by ranchodrive; 07-07-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I used to attend the Fiesta parades, carnivals, Hemisfair fireworks and plays.
Also the river art shows, market square, Witte Museum.
Having Easter at Brackenridge Park or dining at Shilohs, Morton’s Steakhouse,
Casa Rio, Christies Seafood on Broadway,Mi Tierra, going to the Witte Museum, the missions on the South
side or the Lone Star Brewery.

But now retired, I seldom go.
I blame the weather or that things have changed, I don’t know.
But reading this thread, I’m thinking of going out again like I used to.
Soon as it cools down!
I used to do so much more, and I had/still have, excuses why I don't. I just see so many folks my age, or not, just not getting out for at least a walk. Usually my excuse is going alone, at night anyway. I've been back on my walks the last 3 days after having a "bug" and it feels so good. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I guess I've learned to enjoy the simple things mostly. I will save up to do something special, like maybe a play, or a dinner out.

I feel if I get where there "is" more happening, I will get out more, at least I hope so. I just want to get exercise is my main reason, walking, biking. Where I've been living we have some of the most beautiful trails and hiking but I won't go out there alone, and it is really hard to find someone to go with. These trails can be pretty deserted too in such a sparsely populated area.

Daytime I will go pretty much anywhere alone, shopping, lunch somewhere. I took my neighbors dog with me today, just a little weenie dog But it was great having her along with me. I took a few pics of the neighborhoods flowers. I do like it here, just not enough people meet, or things to see and do.

We have a gym here I belong to, but it's pretty much empty most of the time. I use their aerobics room to plug in my phone, pull up my play-list and dance around all I want. Probably couldn't find a place like that in the city Every place has it's pros and cons. I just don't know for sure what I'll end up doing. Until then, I'm just going to wait until I am sure I want to make the move.

Any of you move from a small town to the city? I lived downtown Portland Oregon for a few years but I was much younger, late 30s, early 40's Then I pretty much just went back and forth to work.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,560 times
Quote:
Is the CHL some sort of license, like for a concealed weapon? I'm guessing that's it, and I have thought about it for sure.
Yes. Concealed Handgun License

Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Yes. Concealed Handgun License
Thanks Pancho

Old 07-07-2017, 04:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,723 times
Quote:

Any of you move from a small town to the city? I lived downtown Portland Oregon for a few years but I was much younger, late 30s, early 40's Then I pretty much just went back and forth to work.
I’m originally from Laredo.
My folks moved to San Antonio when I was ten.
So I consider San Antonio my hometown.
I went to visit cousins in Laredo.
But like most places, the things I remember and loved are not
there anymore.
I agree, it’s not easy finding someone to share things when going out
to places. Hopefully others here on the forum will have similar interests.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:41 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
Quote:
This makes good sense to me. Areas that focus on tourism can leave the home-folks high and dry. I watched a video on the area and it was totally into tourism, didn't talk about the folks that live there at all, and how they like it etc.

One thing for sure, I have a lot to consider before I actually sign on the dotted line, so to speak. I'm grateful for the chance to actually talk to residence of the area
What was the video?

This is a few years old now, and a couple of those people have moved away and one place closed (and about a 1000 more opened....) but this is all about real people, not tourists. ONE SQUARE MILE: SAN ANTONIO | SOUTHTOWN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio