Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 08:32 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Especially that bozo who was putting gas in those two plastic trash cans.
From what I've been given to understand, that was taken on the coast, and the guy was getting diesel. While still unsafe, it was supposedly all he had available to refuel a generator being used at a shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:36 PM

814 posts, read 676,477 times
The Shell station north of Bitters on Blanco had a long line on the southbound side of Blanco at 2PM today.

$2.899 80 cents per gallon bump from last week

Old 09-05-2017, 10:13 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Take a look at these pics of fuel hoarders ruining it for the rest of us:
Hoarding or helping? Social media spotlights customers buying extra gas - San Antonio Express-News

And remember folks, there is no shame in publically shaming a greedy fuel hoarder. If you see a fuel hoarder, feel free to post some pics.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
As it was, Tuesday was the 2nd day in standard fueling (refuel every 2nd day, the window) for me. The last chance gas station (on the edge of town before going to the ranch)-out. The gas station at the top of the hill on the way to my Dive Boss-out. The gas station at the corner on the way back from my Dive Boss-got about 11 cents off the regular pump, then it wouldn't accept my green AMEX anymore, so used my rarely used gold AMEX and went straight the premium pump and went from 7/8 to full.

Target of opportunity refueling in the open window. I wasn't out on a hunt but took what Fate presented me with on an essential trip. Then went home, cancelling the evening trip since it wasn't essential, and rested till the next assignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
At this point, because so many cant control themselves after politely being asked to control themselves, I am all for restrictions till things get back to normal.

There are not that many stations with gas. Maybe 100 or less so it wouldnt be terribly hard to enforce this idea.

For the stations with fuel, have either staff or a police officer check and watch over each vehicle during fill up.

1. If you are more then 1/2 full when you get to the pump, you dont get to fill.
Don't you rather see that as a type of involuntary servitude? Like addicting people to a drug so they constantly have to come back to you, that they can't get too far away?

Cars are suppose to be about independence but by shortening their fuel string, so the independence is shorten as well. One is no longer thinking about what they can do that day or the next but rather, when they can get their next fix.

In a bureaucracy, it is constantly about being in control and hence, those in power get to decide "when things get back to normal".

No, thank you!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-06-2017 at 02:14 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 04:01 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
then it wouldn't accept my green AMEX anymore, so used my rarely used gold AMEX and went straight the premium pump and went from 7/8 to full.
Sorry to hear about your financial problems! Perhaps one day you'll be able to just pay with a debit card and not be so uptight about 1/8 tank of gas.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sorry to hear about your financial problems! Perhaps one day you'll be able to just pay with a debit card and not be so uptight about 1/8 tank of gas.
Ummm, no.

The use of a debit card at a gas pump is highly discouraged due to the possibility of criminal scanners being placed over the regular card reader.

As it was, I imagine the problems with the green card was just a security measure in the pump machinery.

As to the 1/8 of a tank, it is part to being old Navy, part of living out in the country. In the latter case, 9+ miles is a heck of a distance to have to bike for a can of gas, so I set up the standard of refueling every 2nd day. That is probably based in part in being old Navy; don't go more than 3 days refueling from the oiler if you can help it.

To look at it another way, I'd really be at a disadvantage to be home on the ranch and hear that Saudi Arabia had a revolution for everyone else would have a pretty decent head start in filling their tanks. So I keep mine next to full or full before I leave town for home.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Has anyone seen premium fuel available on a regular basis anywhere? My local station has had nothing but regular fuel since the situation began.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:39 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Has anyone seen premium fuel available on a regular basis anywhere? My local station has had nothing but regular fuel since the situation began.
My sister waited in line and filled up at a station mid-day Friday, and all they had was 93 octane. I filled up at that same station early Saturday morning, and all they had was 87 octane.

On Saturday, I started seeing posts from some of my neighbors on Nextdoor that they couldn't find anything but 87 octane anywhere, but their car requires 93. I guess there's little choice in that situation but to fill up with 87, and use an octane booster. I didn't realize so many cars require high-octane gas.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:55 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Many stores are already out of the octane booster. Some sold out on the first day. Crazy, huh?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The use of a debit card at a gas pump is highly discouraged due to the possibility of criminal scanners being placed over the regular card reader.
I wouldn't worry about someone judging you for using a CC instead of debit at the pump... You are right to be concerned as I have actually had my debit card skimmed at a gas pump years ago. Next thing I know...I had all kinds of charges show up within a day at stores in Canada. Fortunately the bank resolved the issue and gave me my money back.

That being said, usually cash is best way to pay but not everyone likes to go in...wait in line...then go back to get the change (if any).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio