Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:34 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times

Advertisements

yes, the "gas station fairies" apparently came last night and guess what...we still have gas today!
now on the way into work lines are already forming again. unless you're on "E", get out of line.

and yes, watch for price gouging but also understand economics 101.
supply goes down, demand goes up = price goes up. same can be applied to most any industry in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:02 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The thing I am not really too thrilled about are people putting gasoline in things other than their cars. The tanks they are using may (or may not) be approved to be gasoline containers, but keeping that stuff around like that just because you can seems to be something like having a bomb around. Saw a picture earlier in the day of a gentleman filling up a square tank in his pickup bed, about as high as the cab. Having that much gasoline around like that is not so thrilling to me.
It is my understanding that it is illegal to actually store more than 30 gallons of gas (in containers) in a private residence within city limits. Might want to check with the fire department if you are one of those that do a such thing.

This past week has been a real eye opener for me with the way people have been acting. Very few people helping others out and a lot of self-centered actions.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
yes, the "gas station fairies" apparently came last night and guess what...we still have gas today!
now on the way into work lines are already forming again. unless you're on "E", get out of line.

and yes, watch for price gouging but also understand economics 101.
supply goes down, demand goes up = price goes up. same can be applied to most any industry in business.
See, what is going on now in San Antonio is a self fulfilling prophecy. As multiple people reported on this thread alone, there was no shortage yesterday before a set time. In fact, one member even said a particular referenced gas station was a "ghost town". Then Bam! after a set time, lines formed and it was out of gas. This story is similar to gas stations all over the city.

I too have been checking gas buddy and for me too, fuel remains out of stock. Here is the link:
GasBuddy Gasoline Availability Tracker

As nismo said in the quote above, if you do not need gas or are close to that point, get out of line. The problem I suspect is that this is not what people are doing. I suspect, because of panic, quite a few people are continuously (once daily or more) refilling their tank when they are 3/4 full or more.

Basically, if everyone (or a whole lot of people) top off their tank every day when it is not really needed because of panic, it will keep the stocks empty. San Antonio just does not have the capacity to keep everyone driving at 100% capacity every single day. It needs to go back to normal where people drive a few days, then need fuel, then go get it. That way Bob, when he needed fuel on Monday can fill up on Monday and Tim, he didn't need fuel till Tuesday so he can fill up on Tuesday and Beth, she didn't need it till Wednesday so she can get it Wednesday. All the while fuel trucks keep coming Mon, Tue, Wed and Bob, Tim, Beth and all of us will have fuel when we need it. When operating normally, the need is divided up throughout the week.

If Bob, Tim and Beth go and full up not on the days they need it but every day and so does everyone else, this will hurt every single person. This kind of emotional, freak out, greedy and irrational behavior only hurts every single person who will need to get gas. Make no mistake, this irrational behavior will negatively affect both availability and price for everyone here in San Antonio until people stop this ridiculous and greedy behavior.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Some of San Antonio's finest on display for the world to see:
https://www.facebook.com/amber.rust....5092902878719/

Tells the story of what some peeps are seeing at the only remaining stations with fuel.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post

If Bob, Tim and Beth go and full up not on the days they need it but every day and so does everyone else, this will hurt every single person. This kind of emotional, freak out, greedy and irrational behavior only hurts every single person who will need to get gas. Make no mistake, this irrational behavior will negatively affect both availability and price for everyone here in San Antonio until people stop this ridiculous and greedy behavior.
It's self-interested behavior, but rather common and well-documented. It's called a "tragedy of the Commons"

Old 09-01-2017, 01:33 PM

431 posts, read 1,203,842 times
Quote:

Tells the story of what some peeps are seeing at the only remaining stations with fuel.
That was ridiculous. But, I do not think it was in San Antonio. I see a business in the background that appears to be Bibbentuckers, which is only located in the Dallas area.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:07 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
Quote:

That wasn't in San Antonio.....

Old 09-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Shared the wrong video. Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrlB1eCw74

Old 09-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Here is some funny memes about people in San Antonio acting crazy for gas:
Some of the best memes fueled by S.A. gas panic - San Antonio Express-News

Old 09-01-2017, 03:02 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
I got a job as a tailgunner on a gas tanker...back off son....

Last edited by Deep Forest; 09-01-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio